Post Thanks / Like
    I got a question from one of my customers yesterday and would appreciate any feedback on your experience.

This customer has a 1956 Porsche Cabriolet, gun metal grey. This is one of 9 Porsche`s he owns. The leather seats had been dyed red when he purchased the car a number of years ago. He is having a problem with red color transfer onto many things with which the seats come in contact.

Has anyone had this experience and, if so, what success have you had with what products in "sealing" the surface to prevent color transfer.

Thanks

Peggy Becker

Upscale Detail
    Peggy Becker

Upscale Detail

Reston, VA

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not something IÃâ‚â„ve come across before, except when the dye is Ãâ‚ËœnewÃâ‚â„ but it soon settles down.

Is he using too strong a (solvent / alcohol) cleaner? Is he using Lexol?

Leatherique has a Klear Coat that would Ãâ‚ËœsealÃâ‚â„ the leather somewhat, but I would find/eliminate the colour bleed before using it

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apart from what TOGWT said, I`m stumped...

Let us know how you proceed...

BTW, welcome!

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    My customer has tried a number of products without success. I`ve been doing some further research and Lexol may be a possibility based on their recent claims on their website of "avoiding bleeding". Another consideration is how long ago the seats were dyed. Even though this Porsche is almost 50 years old, dyes and dying techniques have changed over the years. I`ll have to get more info on that as well.

In my opinion, our highly esteemed Mayor (and Porsche aficionado) knows everything there is to know on these subjects. I was hoping he might be willing to teach me just one more thing.

Guess I`ll just have to keep digging. :wavey
    Peggy Becker

Upscale Detail

Reston, VA

Post Thanks / Like
    Upscale Detail-try the leathereque web site they have good info on leather upholstery dyes and etc

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have delt with a leather repair person a few times and they are spraying the seats like you would the exterior of a car. I even think they use a clear to seal the finish. Check your local high end car dealer to see who they use in your area or check the phone book.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dent`s & Details- there are urathane sprays available that are colorized and used to spray leather (UGH!) reminds me of the plastic covers used to protect Moms `good` furniture in the `60s.

[Rant: we are asked to pay a premium for leather and then they use a sub-standard hide that is masked (whoops I mean protected)with a colored plastic finish End rant]

But as I said its rare for an older dye to `bleed` unless a high solvent product is used on it.

JonM

Thread Information