Thread: advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine`s uncle recently closed his detailing shop and started working for a local Sugar Co. His building is available for rent and I am considering re-opening it up as my own shop. I am not sure what the rent is for the building yet but I think it is around 500.00 month. It has room for up to three cars in it, comes with a washer/dryer, power washer w/ burner, and an interior office.

My question is what would be required for me to open this shop as my own? I have equipment and supplies and also have a friend that is a certified accessory installer that would be willing to pinstripe and install accessories for me as well as a great relationship with a local sign, graphics, & vinyl shop near the location. Would insurance be required or would that be included from the building`s landlord? How do I acquire a business license? Anything else I can or need to get to make it a success is greatly appreciated.

I have read the articles on this board(PRO) and love them but maybe need them explained pertaining to my situation.

The uncle`s nephew, my best friend, is a Marine Veteran and is eligible for a $200,000 grant for starting his own business. I know that is waaaaaaaaay more $ than we would need but should we pursue it? He is also friends with the sales manager at the local Ford dealer and has been promised the used car inventory if we get running. That would ensure us a steady flow of business to get going. Should we try to get something in writing from the Ford guy and is there such things as dealership/detailing center contracts?

Thank you in advance.... I am eager to any responses!

Post Thanks / Like
    def get something in writing from the dealership, you know how those used car salesman are.........joking

but seriously i would get insurance and something in writing from the dealership but watch out how you approach him about a contract, dont want to make him think you dont trust him

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, I would definately suggest getting something in writting.

I`ve done the same thing with used car dealers.

Heres how I approached them.

Told them I was starting a business and that I`m doin some market research and showed them pictures of the work I do (from previouse details I did before turning into an actual business)

once they said they were gonna start using me If my work is as I say it is (which u shouldn`t lie about) Then I just politely tell them that I need to show on my business plan in order to get the grant that I do have a more fixed reliable income of cars rather than just the public. I asked them to maybe just come up with a rough number of cars they think they would get detailed in one month. They should have a good idea of how many vehicles they move and how many need to be detailed.

i think u get were im goin with that. Its a nice polite way of saying that their intentions are to use u to detail their cars and not just say it.
    1994 BMW 325is M-tech

shwartz II black

black leather interior

Post Thanks / Like
    why did he close?? was he having a problem getting customers in the door?? if so, it could be because of bad location.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will need insurance for the building itself and you will also want it to protect yourself if a car gets damaged.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a couple of things.

CYA. Cover your ***. Get good insurance.

Don`t put all your eggs in one basket.

Develop a business plan.

Write up an agreement between you and your friend.

It could get ugly when the split comes.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Contact the U.S. Small Business Administration

http://sba.gov/mi/

Michigan District Office

477 Michigan Avenue

Suite 515, McNamara Building

Detroit, Michigan 48226

(313) 226-6075

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any insurance agent can send you in the right direction for Garagekeepers Insurance... it is a must have!

$500 rent is great, assuming the location is not an issue...

As mentioned, the SBA is a great source of information, but prolly not money.

I hope your correct about your vet friend being eligible for a loan, but I rather doubt it... Send me some info if you have it.

Dealer work will keep you busy, but the margins are so low, that I stay away... the retail consumer with "disposable income" is your target demo.

Sounds like a very positive opportunity! Keep us informed, and bring on the questions!

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jimmy (or Dcopp, if you know),

What`s the pricing like when you`re working for dealers? I haven`t approached any yet, but just walking their lot shows that they really, really need some help...

Any ideas on the approach, or the $$ I should expect?

(right now, I`m looking for experience and networking, so the more the merrier...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally i dont touch dealers. They want too much work for pennies. There are some on here that work with dealers, but typically you will find that they dont want to pay you anywhere near what you would expect to make.

Thread Information