Post Thanks / Like
    As per the title really. I`m setting up a mobile detailing business and was wondering what you seasoned pros use?

I know it would be a lot easier to use a petrol driven washer but I have to take noise into consideration - I can`t be turning up at a clients house at 9am on a Sunday morning and firing up a screamer of a washer - I`d wake the whole neighbourhood up and can`t imagine I`d be that popular!

I`m tempted to get the Honda EX4000 generator which can provide a steady 3.5kW at only 59dB which will also be fine for the pressure washer on its own or the PC/rotary/extractor and any lighting that I may require together.

Are there any benefits having petrol over electric - considering I`m going to be carrying a generator anyway?

Is there such a thing as a "silent" petrol driven washer?!

Thanks,

Ben.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not a seasoned pro but I`ve had a fair bit of experience with pressure washers. I`ve had reliability issues with both kinds, but the petrol-powered ones I had were much more powerful. The psi and gpm numbers weren`t that different, but the results sure were.

Note that besides the 59db from the generator, the electric washer will make a bit of noise too. No such thing as a "silent pressure washer" period.

I`d try out models you`re interested in if at all possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    IÃâ‚â„m not quite sure what type of equipment theyÃâ‚â„re offering in the UK.

If you buy a good electric pressure washer with a good brass pump you will be quite if your customer has electricity you can use.

I have use both and prefer the electric one. There smaller and easier maintain. If your going to do allot of residential work this is the way to go. If you going for office parks then I would use the gas powered one.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your replies guys. I`m hopefully mainly going to be doing residential details, although want to have the capability of being fully mobile as I`d hate to turn a job down in an office car park because I couldn`t physically do it. I also see office car parks as a good place to pick up more business as lots of employees will get to see the finished product!

Kit wise I`m looking at Karcher. The electric washer I have at the moment is a great bit of kit (150bar, 550 litres/minute) and runs at 73dB. The queitest of their petrol driven washers runs at 105dB, so the generator+electric combo is still going to be the quietest option. I also, like you say, have the option of using the clients electricity.

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben

I purchased the Karcher K650M from argos about 4 months ago when it had ÂÂ100 off see here http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...clickfrom=name It gets used a weekly based both on vevicles and around the house and has always done a good job for me. I have never run it at full pressure whilst cleaning the bodywork but I turn it up a bit when doing wheel arches and wheels. It has a detergent bottle aswell so you can run your favourite wash through it aswell for a pre soak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by k80

Ben

I purchased the Karcher K650M from argos about 4 months ago when it had ÂÂ100 off see here http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...clickfrom=name It gets used a weekly based both on vevicles and around the house and has always done a good job for me. I have never run it at full pressure whilst cleaning the bodywork but I turn it up a bit when doing wheel arches and wheels. It has a detergent bottle aswell so you can run your favourite wash through it aswell for a pre soak.
    I bought the Karcher 7.85M from www.tooled-up.com for ÂÂ299 (retails at ÂÂ480ish) a couple of weeks ago and am planning on using it in the van. When it breaks through continual use I`ll upgrade to a more commercial unit which will have more brass in it so should last a bit longer.

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    The Karcher 7.85M looks a excellent piece of kit, definatley at the top end of the range. The 7.85 should serve you well and is more than adequate for use on vehicles. I would only replace it if it broke and was un repairable, spend the money on more detailing supplies.

What type of van are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by k80

What type of van are you using?
    I haven`t bought it yet but I`m looking for a black Mercedes Vito. Just trying to work out how much weight I`m going to be carrying to I see if I need to get the higer GVW version.

If I can`t find a factory painted black one (don`t really want to buy a brand new one because you get hammered on residuals) I`ll get a white one and have it re-sprayed.

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds interesting keep us posted on your new venture.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m envious of you folks who do so well with Karchers Mine always break down, the petrol ones, the electric ones; they`re *always* going inop on me

If they still make it, Karcher offers a flexible nozzle that can be great for getting into wheelwells and odd parts of the undercarriage. In fact, there are a lot of neat Karcher accessories.

Thread Information