Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure whether this should be here on in the product discussion forum so feel free to move it if it`s in the wrong place.

If you have a customer who literally only wants a "wash/wax", what process do you guys use? Would something like Megs #6 or #66 do the trick?

As much as it pains me to not clay a car and prepare the surface properly for waxing etc, it`s a fact that some clients aren`t that fussed and it`s definitely something I`m not going to throw in for free!

So, my question is, if your client isn`t that fussed, what`s a good process to use that gets maxium results in minimum time?

Thanks,

Ben.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would just wash it and throw on some Poorboy`s EX, EXP, Four Star UPP, or if you really want to stick with Meguiar`s then go for NXT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by kgb

I would just wash it and throw on some Poorboy`s EX, EXP, Four Star UPP, or if you really want to stick with Meguiar`s then go for NXT.

Thats what I`ll do. I`ll just quickly run a chunk of clay over the horizontal surfaces, and right behind the wheels, and then just slap on some NXT. It will still look amazing if you know how to clean it up right. :woot:
    Carvista Inc. - Asper School of Business

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Buick_guy1

Thats what I`ll do. I`ll just quickly run a chunk of clay over the horizontal surfaces, and right behind the wheels, and then just slap on some NXT. It will still look amazing if you know how to clean it up right. :woot:

Yeah, it seems all we get are those types of jobs. I hi the wheels with a wheels cleaner first and hit them with some tire shine after. Only takes a few extra minutes and makes the job look so much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by kgb

Yeah, it seems all we get are those types of jobs. I hi the wheels with a wheels cleaner first and hit them with some tire shine after. Only takes a few extra minutes and makes the job look so much better.

I forgot to add that I dress the tires.
    Carvista Inc. - Asper School of Business

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BenP

If you have a customer who literally only wants a "wash/wax", what process do you guys use?

Thanks,

Ben.

Hey Ben,

The process that I use is to choose not to do work for that type of customer. I am not a wash and wax business and my customers know that right up front.

Actually, your question has a lot to do with how you want to position your business in the market. If you consider yourself a top end detailer who is focused on getting top quality results then offering a wash/wax will be like trying to sell gormet food in a fast food restaurant.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve asked you this before, Frank. If a customer refers someone to you who only wants a quick wash and one step wax (for example, they are selling the car), do you refuse to do the work and potentially embarrass your customer who refered that person?

What if one of your regulars asks you for a quick one step (has a hot date and wants his car to look good). Do you tell him "no"?

I don`t think Ben is going for the `quickie detail` market, but trying to satisfy the needs of current customers requests. I think if he does the work but also takes the time to educate the customers on the benefits of claying and a 2-3 step exterior detailing process, he will come out ahead in the long run.

Ben-Meguiars #6 or #66 would work well.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Plenty of detailers offer a wash and wax special there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, if it fills a void and brings in cash than go for it. I do a Wash n Wax for $49.95 it takes 11/2 hour to do so there is money to be made. This is a very small part of my business but people need different price points to meet there needs.
    "I think my blood is a Carnauba Prototype"

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its a mistake not to offer wash and wax packages. What about customers you`ve done full details for that want re-waxed in a month or so? You turn them away? I just don`t think thats a good idea. Landscaping companies mow lawns too.

I think a wash and wax is a good foot in the door product, I always do it, then go around and point out the things I can fix and refer them back to my car which is properly prepped. I find that for 8 out of 10 they`ll schedule a full detail at some point.

If anything I prefer wash and wax jobs because they`re quicker.

I charge $35 for a wash and $70 for a wash and wax. The wax step takes maybe 30min longer. Now, I will refuse to do wash and waxes on cars I feel won`t benefit from them. I honestly tell the customer "I could do that but the finish is at a point where thats not going to improve the look of the paint, we need to do X Y and Z then we can maintain it with washes and waxes in the future. Bam, there`s a big detail to start, I`ve let the customer know I am a quality business that does quality work and that I will care for their car over the long term vs just right now, and that I want my work to be the best that it can be. If they balk, I wash the car, collect my $35 and go home.

I think thats a much better approach than "Nyah! I only do $500 super duper 24 step details on Maseratis and Maybachs, your car and your needs are beneath me! Nyah!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent points, Steve.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

Hey Ben,

The process that I use is to choose not to do work for that type of customer. I am not a wash and wax business and my customers know that right up front.

Actually, your question has a lot to do with how you want to position your business in the market. If you consider yourself a top end detailer who is focused on getting top quality results then offering a wash/wax will be like trying to sell gormet food in a fast food restaurant.

Frank,

DonÃâ‚â„t get me wrong, I certainly donÃâ‚â„t want to be a Ãâ‚Å“wash Ãâ‚Ëœn waxÃâ‚Â outfit. My business (if I choose to start one as opposed just doing it on the side for friends etc) will be aimed squarely at the top end of the market, and my pricing will dictate that.

My question stemmed really from talking to a few potential customers (and also friends who fit into my target market) about services that theyÃâ‚â„d require/be willing to pay for. ItÃâ‚â„s a fact that even if your potential client is loaded, they might still baulk at the idea of spending ÂÂ200+ to have their car Ãâ‚Å“cleanedÃâ‚Â. (Detailing at this level hasnÃâ‚â„t really Ãâ‚Å“taken offÃâ‚ in the UK yet so a lot of people need to be educated about the benefits). However that doesnÃâ‚â„t mean I canÃâ‚â„t offer a premium wash/wax service. A friend of mine who drives an X5 4.8is and is doing very well for himself said quite categorically yesterday that he couldnÃâ‚â„t justify spending ÂÂ200-300 on having his car detailed. On paper it sounds a lot because people donÃâ‚â„t know the difference between a wash and a detail. However, with some education, IÃâ‚â„m sure heÃâ‚â„s the type of person whoÃâ‚â„d come round to the idea.

On the other hand though, I donÃâ‚â„t want to be a business that sells customers products/services that they donÃâ‚â„t need or donÃâ‚â„t want. Obviously at the time IÃâ‚â„d try and talk them up to a full detail by showing them the benefits (my car), and actually explaining what a full detail gets them over a wash/wax and why itÃâ‚â„s a good option for them (better depth of shine/reflection/longevity etc), but if after that theyÃâ‚â„re still not interested, then IÃâ‚â„m happy to give them what they want.

IÃâ‚â„ll also have customers (as Scott says) that have had a full details in the past and just want the existing protection topped up with another layer of wax (in these cases IÃâ‚â„d obviously use what I did last time, not a cleaner wax), or want their car detailed quickly before going somewhere important.

Originally posted by Scottwax

I`ve asked you this before, Frank. If a customer refers someone to you who only wants a quick wash and one step wax (for example, they are selling the car), do you refuse to do the work and potentially embarrass your customer who refered that person?

What if one of your regulars asks you for a quick one step (has a hot date and wants his car to look good). Do you tell him "no"?

I don`t think Ben is going for the `quickie detail` market, but trying to satisfy the needs of current customers requests. I think if he does the work but also takes the time to educate the customers on the benefits of claying and a 2-3 step exterior detailing process, he will come out ahead in the long run.

Ben-Meguiars #6 or #66 would work well.

YouÃâ‚â„re right Scott IÃâ‚â„m not going for the quickie detail market, but as you and I said above, some people just want a quick clean/wax to get their car looking good for a particular event or to bridge the gap between their (hopefully regular!) full details.

Out of interest, is there much difference between #6 and #66, or are they pretty much the same product?

Originally posted by GoodnClean

I think its a mistake not to offer wash and wax packages. What about customers you`ve done full details for that want re-waxed in a month or so? You turn them away? I just don`t think thats a good idea. Landscaping companies mow lawns too.

I think a wash and wax is a good foot in the door product, I always do it, then go around and point out the things I can fix and refer them back to my car which is properly prepped. I find that for 8 out of 10 they`ll schedule a full detail at some point.

If anything I prefer wash and wax jobs because they`re quicker.

I charge $35 for a wash and $70 for a wash and wax. The wax step takes maybe 30min longer. Now, I will refuse to do wash and waxes on cars I feel won`t benefit from them. I honestly tell the customer "I could do that but the finish is at a point where thats not going to improve the look of the paint, we need to do X Y and Z then we can maintain it with washes and waxes in the future. Bam, there`s a big detail to start, I`ve let the customer know I am a quality business that does quality work and that I will care for their car over the long term vs just right now, and that I want my work to be the best that it can be. If they balk, I wash the car, collect my $35 and go home.

I think thats a much better approach than "Nyah! I only do $500 super duper 24 step details on Maseratis and Maybachs, your car and your needs are beneath me! Nyah!"

ThatÃâ‚â„s exactly how I see myself placing my business GoodnClean. Educate them about the benefits of a full detail, but if they only want a wash/wax then do it. Then one day they might be tempted to go for the full detail. IÃâ‚â„d much rather give a premium wash/wax service to a client every month for two years at ÂÂ70 a time and then have them try a full detail, rather than only do full details from the outset and loose that ÂÂ1680 in wash/waxes.

Thanks for all your responses guys, it`s a great help in trying to place my services and what products to use in each instance. :xyxthumbs

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BenP

(Detailing at this level hasnÃâ‚â„t really Ãâ‚Å“taken offÃâ‚Â in the UK yet so a lot of people need to be educated about the benefits). However that doesnÃâ‚â„t mean I canÃâ‚â„t offer a premium wash/wax service.

Ben

Ben,

Most people here in America did not understand what detailing was all about back in the mid 1980`s when I started my own detailing business. And thanks to all of the low cost car washers out there, some people still do not have a clue about detailing. Offering both full details and quick wash and waxes only further confuses the potential customer.

The key to operating a successful detailing business is to first understand that you are in the business of taking the customer`s vehicle up to another level. A level that they cannot get with a simple low priced wash/wax. It is all about detailing cars. It is a process that takes time. Detailing has never been about offering a quick service and anyone who thinks they can have it both ways is certainly mistaken.

Marketing is simply a matter of finding a need and filling that need. It is really up to you to figure out what need you intend to fill. Once you`ve got that, then all you have got to do is go out there and find the customers that will pay the price and appreciate the service that you are offering.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that you should be looking at cleaner waxes for "quick wax" jobs. If you`re doing only "refreshers" on previously well prepped cars, then lsp`s like EX, EXP, NXT,etc. will work. However, if you have a customer that wants to try your services, but doesn`t want/can`t afford the whole deal, as well as hasn`t had the car well prepped previously, these lsp type waxes/sealants aren`t going to make an oxidized car look too much better. You should look into a wax that will remove oxidation as well as leave some protection. In these cases, #6 and #66 would be good choices. Maybe even Klasse AIO or Autoglym`s Super Resin Polish. (These are the only brands I`m familiar with that I have heard are available in the UK. There are of course other good choices.)

Hope this helps/is what you were looking for.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    Polish with Carnuba might be a good route as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was always going to be the case that customers who had had their cars prepared by me before would get a good LSP as a refresher. My question was more to do with those customers who don`t want to go with the whole deal to start with and who aren`t fussed about having their cars prepared fully just yet - hence the question about #6 and #66 being used in these instances.

Basically, if I`ve given them a full detail before, a wash/wax will entail putting on another coat of LSP. If they haven`t had a full detail from me before then I`ll spuff over the car with a cleaner wax.

Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information