Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to argue, but here`s my worthless .02. I tried to be the do it all detailer and it was confusing. Then I tried to be the hi end detailer and business slowed down. I have since learned we have to have a business that is serving the customers needs based on what the customer wants. If I only detail high end cars that`s my choice but its also a business based on my needs and not my client`s needs. I want client`s that call on me every week for anything from fulls to washes. I like to walk down a vehicle with a regular client and show them new scratches on their paint. To me it shows attention to detail and I care about their ride. GoodnClean- right on the money. That`s all on that.

As for the topic, I agree #66 is a great one stepper. I even like to top #66 with NXT for a little more protection. Heck with the PC its only a extra 20-25 minutes (for regulars of course). As posted earlier if the client is a regular then go mild on the one step (NXT, EX...). No need erasing all your hard work from last month. If this is a wash and wax every 3 months then go a bit more aggressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have since learned we have to have a business that is serving the customers needs based on what the customer wants.

Right on. Besides, things like hand washes and quick interior cleanups are great feeders for the higher priced details.

I don`t agree with turning down customers with cash in hand. If you say no, they will find someone who will say yes. That may be the end to having that person as a customer. If they only want a hand wash then knock their socks off. Do a better job then they could ever do on their own and do it in a timely manner. If you can impress them with the little jobs it makes it much easier to sell them the higher priced services.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

Hey Ben,

The process that I use is to choose not to do work for that type of customer. I am not a wash and wax business and my customers know that right up front.

Actually, your question has a lot to do with how you want to position your business in the market. If you consider yourself a top end detailer who is focused on getting top quality results then offering a wash/wax will be like trying to sell gormet food in a fast food restaurant.
    Hey, if you don`t want to do it, that`s fine me and puh-lenty of others will snag that biz. Ever heard of a company called McDonalds? I`ll take that fast food money all day long and let suckers like you stare into your mirror every morning telling yourself about how much better you are than us "poor guys that do wash n wax packages. Oh, and another thing: People who drive Bentleys and Ferraris? Yeah, sometimes they don`t want a detail, but they will be happy to pay a "fast food" guy like me $100 for a wash n wax. Your funny! Thanks for educatin us po wash n wax guys. I learn so much from guys like you who have all the answers:xyxthumbs You my idol :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

I will ask you again, Frank. Let`s say you detailed a customer`s car 6 weeks ago. They call you up and say "Frank, I have a big date/big client in town this weekend and I`d really like my car freshened up. Can you come by and wash, vacuum and wax it?" Are you really going to refuse to do the work because "detailing has never been about offering a quick service and anyone who thinks they can have it both ways is certainly mistaken"?

You would tell this customer no?

Not me, you do a favor for a customer and they don`t forget you did that. I`d go over there, wash the car, vacuum it, wipe down the dash, console and seats, apply some wax and dress the tires and fenderwells and collect my money from a happy customer.

I have a lot of customers who are willing to drop the money on a full detail but they also want me to maintain it instead of taking their car to a tunnel car wash. Time and time again, I`ve had customers tell me they never thought they`d pay $30+ to have their car washed but when I do the washing, it is well worth paying 2-3 times what a tunnel car wash charges.

My success depends on me satisfying my customer`s car care needs and I don`t take that responsibility lightly.

RIGHT ON!! Ben, I would also look at using Optima Car Wax. You can wash/dry/wax a car in about an hour. I sell it for $50-60 and bill it as my BEST SELLER! Let`s see, $60/hr. x10 hours = Well, you do the math. Sometimes a car just doesn`t need a detail.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by scrub

...have to have a business that is serving the customers needs based on what the customer wants. If I only detail high end cars that`s my choice but its also a business based on my needs and not my client`s needs.

That is the attitude of a successful business man! Kudos to you, scrub :xyxthumbs

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mr. Clean

That is the attitude of a successful business man! Kudos to you, scrub :xyxthumbs

Thank you I`m studying and learning all the time. So far its starting to pay off too.

On topic again. I changed my wash and wax service to wash only and add spray wax (add $10 to wash only) or polymer wax (add $20 to wash only). This gives me the flexibilty to offer wash onlys and make an easy upsell to at least a quick spray wax. People like the options plus I have a more complete "menu" so to speak. I have services set up depending on the clients particular needs at the time. This gives me more face time with the client.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    scrub-I just started offering OCW as a booster wax for in between wax jobs/details for $15 more for cars and $20-30 more for larger vehicles. Takes maybe an additional 10-20 minutes depending on the vehicle size. Upsell just 5 per week (since I do a lot of SUVs, it would probably average out to $20 more over my wash service each time), that is an extra $100 per week or $5200 per year.

Besides the money, the customer`s car has that freshly waxed look longer and it is also easier to clean since the paint stays slicker between conventional wax jobs.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to go off topic...

Scottwax, the OCW you mention is that the Optimum wax. I`ve heard about it on another site. I might have to give that a try.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the OCW. It gets the paint nice and slick with a nice shine. From what I read about it I bought the gallon and am not disappointed. It`s truly on and off easy and goes a long way.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    scrub-yes, OCW = Optimum Car Wax.

I put some on a black 745 a few weeks ago since it hadn`t been waxed since November and his lease is up in May, which is when he wants me to go nuts on the paint. Should work out well to tide him over until then.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Scottwax.

I`ve been thinking about the discussion above. How do I put this... Well, if I feel I can be successful only performing full details for high end folks then thats what I want my business model to look like. If I`m not starving then I guess it works.

Right now I pretty much wash what ever moves just for the experience and to get my name out there. Businesses have to evolve. To have one model today and change that in future isn`t bad. Its not poor planning. I feel like its paying your dues. I can go out there tomorrow and say I will only detail XXXX types of cars for $XXXX. If people aren`t buying then you have your market response. Today we feel like serving clients on a lower price point with a higher volume base. That`s OK. As our businesses develop it might get to the point where something has to change. How long can you hold of a client with a full detail to get the wash onlys out of the way?

I think most detailers dream of getting that one or a few clients with a fleet of exotics and you`re the full time detail man/woman. Is Leno still looking for a detailer?

To sum up my pointless ramble. I see where some more seasoned detailers might suggest to create a business model like theirs. Nothing`s wrong with their model. I can see where some other detailers think that doesn`t make sense. But one day you might have to evolve to that model too or else you risk losing clients. It`s not just very practical to decide/declare that today.

Thanks for the experience and great discussion. I`m learning more and more about the business from you every day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information