Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well then they get a little bit more than a wash n wax. Given enough time I`d probably use a light polish or VM before. I like to give customers a little bit more than what they were expecting, since they can go up the road for impersonal service at a chain car wash and get the bare minimum for what they pay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Megs. Color X is a great one step.

Post Thanks / Like
    My sister-in-law asked me to wash her car and put a bit of wax on it. I said I would work on one wing only by using clay, polish & LSP, just to show what a difference it made.

After 10 minutes, I got the sale to do the full car as the wing almost looked like a different colour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

The key to operating a successful detailing business is to first understand that you are in the business of taking the customer`s vehicle up to another level. A level that they cannot get with a simple low priced wash/wax. It is all about detailing cars. It is a process that takes time. Detailing has never been about offering a quick service and anyone who thinks they can have it both ways is certainly mistaken.

I will ask you again, Frank. Let`s say you detailed a customer`s car 6 weeks ago. They call you up and say "Frank, I have a big date/big client in town this weekend and I`d really like my car freshened up. Can you come by and wash, vacuum and wax it?" Are you really going to refuse to do the work because "detailing has never been about offering a quick service and anyone who thinks they can have it both ways is certainly mistaken"?

You would tell this customer no?

Not me, you do a favor for a customer and they don`t forget you did that. I`d go over there, wash the car, vacuum it, wipe down the dash, console and seats, apply some wax and dress the tires and fenderwells and collect my money from a happy customer.

I have a lot of customers who are willing to drop the money on a full detail but they also want me to maintain it instead of taking their car to a tunnel car wash. Time and time again, I`ve had customers tell me they never thought they`d pay $30+ to have their car washed but when I do the washing, it is well worth paying 2-3 times what a tunnel car wash charges.

My success depends on me satisfying my customer`s car care needs and I don`t take that responsibility lightly.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn`t be said better Scott! You also keep the car in better condition so it`s less work for you when it is time for a full detail!
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

have a lot of customers who are willing to drop the money on a full detail but they also want me to maintain it instead of taking their car to a tunnel car wash. Time and time again, I`ve had customers tell me they never thought they`d pay $30+ to have their car washed but when I do the washing, it is well worth paying 2-3 times what a tunnel car wash charges.

My success depends on me satisfying my customer`s car care needs and I don`t take that responsibility lightly.
    That`s exactly how I see it Scott. I want customers to come to me for their entire car care regime, rather than just a full detail every three months if I`m lucky. I want them to pay me to wash their car rather than have them taking it to an automated car wash, or even worse, just not wash it and let all the crap bake on.

Also, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, a wash/wax (albeit it a premium one) is a foot in the door. Not many people (especially here in the UK) will pay £200 straight off for a detail. But if they can see what you can do for £75, they might think, "hey, this guy`s pretty good, I wonder what he can do if he does it properly".

That`s what I`m trying to achieve. If I only offer full details, then here in the UK I`m not going to get very much regular business because the car cleaning phenomenon hasn`t come to our shores yet - I`m hoping to change that!

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Doing just high end details doesn`t make any sense, I don`t see how you could possibly make a lasting business on that.

First of all, lets have a little Marketing 101.

The most effective marketing is based on repitition. People love good service, and they like talking about people that give them good service, but only to a point. People are busy, people will forget about you in time even if you gave them the most wonderful service they`ve ever experienced. How do we combat this? We make them remember you by staying in touch. A customer that you do a full detail for (or even just a wash and wax) and then has you wash/wax whatever his car for you weekly, by weekly, monthly, every 6 months, whatever is better than someone who pays you $250 for a detail and then you never see him again because the first person is SURROUNDED by you. You are in his life and on his mind, that makes him refer you to his friends.

When you detail someone`s car they`ll be thrilled for three days and then forget about you. If you take care of their car for them over the long term by doing less expensive services as routine maintenance then you`re creating a bond between "car" and "you". Every time they think "car" they think "you". Someone says "detailer" they think "you".

This:

"You want your car detailed, I have a wonderful guy Steve that made my car look like new and now he maintains it for me weekly, my car never looked so good and he`s a wonderfully personable and beautiful person, here`s his name, call him!"

Is better than this:

"Yeah I had some guy detail my car once, he did a great job. Let me see if I can find his card and I`ll give it to you"

Which do you think is more likely to result in a referral of a quality customer?

And the best thing is, most people in business PAY to remind their customers that they exist (I do) detailers GET PAID to do it! Why would you not do that?

Plus if you`ve set your pricing properly then you`re not making any less even doing a wash because all your pricing is judged around your self determined hourly rate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing I wanted to add to what I posted is:

Yes, making sure that you`re earning what you`re worth is important and choosing what business to take and what business to pass on is important too, but the basis of what you`re doing has to be:

1. A genuine enjoyment of detailing

2. A desire to be a helpful member of your community and a desire to do quality work.

3. A passion for what you`re doing

When you operate that way, the money will come. I would be more concerned with "Can I do a quality job on this car that my customer will be happy with within the cost constraints that he`s laid down?". If the answer is yes, then you should do it and do it to the best of your ability, if the answer is no then you should be honest with the customer and say "I could do a wash and wax on this car, but honestly its not going to make it look any better than just washing it at this point. I offer X, Y, and Z what do you think"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent points, Steve! Just today, I had a regular customer tell me his nearly 2-year-old Marauder looks better than the day he picked it up at the dealer brand new.

Why does it look like that? Because I take care of it weekly and stay on top of any problems. Scuffs and light scratches are removed immediately, the car is washed properly without harsh cleaners and it was polished and waxed regularly. I deep polished it the last time I waxed it, so this time it just needed another coat of wax (I used Glanz Wax this time).

BTW, he has been a regular weekly customer nearly 9 years now. I feel I can safely say he is a satisfied customer.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the kind of thing I am striving for when I get my operation off the ground. I want repeat business. But, most importantly, I want my reputation to speak for itself (like Scott`s or Anthony Orosco`s) and the most effective way that can happen is word of mouth.

As for wah/wax combos, I DEFINITELY want that as part of the services I offer. However, I want to look into a wax as you dry LSP in order to give the customer opitions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by PrinzII

As for wah/wax combos, I DEFINITELY want that as part of the services I offer. However, I want to look into a wax as you dry LSP in order to give the customer opitions.

Optimum Car Wax would be a good option. You can wax a car as fast as you can QD one with it. I don`t use it as a stand alone LSP like Anthony does, but it makes a great booster wax in between regular wax jobs.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Could anyone suggest a good quick one step product which provides protection/removes slight imperfections and is easy on/off?

I have just recieved 1Z products and this seems to be very easy to use.

I was thinking that nxt with a polishing pad, but it doesn`t last long at all. Anyone got any other ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JJ_

Could anyone suggest a good quick one step product which provides protection/removes slight imperfections and is easy on/off?

I was thinking that nxt with a polishing pad, but it doesn`t last long at all. Anyone got any other ideas?

What comes immediately to mind is to just use the 1Z stuff that way. I dunno how long it`ll last, but 1Z`s PP and (consumer) MP have a fair bit of wax in them, as does the WaxPolishSoft.

Try *not* topping the 1Z polish sometime and see how long it lasts. None of the "one step" approaches are gonna have the durability of the typical multi-step regimen anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JJ_

Race Glaze`s Polish/Sealant is a very nice one step, however, you can get essentially the same product at Pep Boys under the Long Haul brand name, called Polish/Wax.

As you can see, it has a pretty nice shine. I applied it with a polishing pad at straight up noon on a 75 degree sunny day with no problems. Not bad for a 24oz bottle of wax I picked up for $8.

www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice picture scott, I would buy those products you mention although we don`t have these over here. I have found a website over here though, who services the detailing trade.

I prefer the whole detail to be honest as it really looks a million times better but I am loosing out if I dont do it.

http://www.chemiclean.co.uk/car1.htm

The polish/wax seems a good idea. Gently removes marks etc and leaves some protection.

I might get 1Z polish/wax as well if the car isn`t in too bad a condition.

Thankfully most of my customers have custom details i.e, paint restoration but no interior. So I normally just get to do the exterior.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information