Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine who owns a cleaning business advertises in the yellow pages and swears by it. I looked into it and have found it to be expensive. They have what they call a small yellow book in my area and breaks locations down into areas. example, one listings in one book for a small color ad is $1200. a black and white small ad is $575. he also does coupon magazines and gets lots of business from it. He his deeper pockets for his budget, unlike me. Just wondered who spends money on advertsing, what kind? what works and what doesn`t? Thanks , Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess perception is everything. I plan on starting out with the black and white ad in 3 books to test the water. I have a meeting with the coupon book lady today to see what her ads cost. Its just that I have never spent a dime on advertising yet, so its a wake up call to what the real world is all about. Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    There are so many `yellow pages`, `real yellow pages`,`original yellow pages`, etc. any more that the market is diluted. Chicago must have dozens of phone book publishers floating around.

You will find that their ad rates are dependent on distribution-the more they distribute, the more money you pay for your ad. Sounds simple? No. Just as an example, a `yellow pages` type of publisher (don`t even know who it was) just sent us copies of their `05 book. 15 Copies! Okay, I have 3 employees! All 15 of them went in the trash anyway. But, it allows them to claim 15X their actual distribution-bumping their ad rates tremendously. I`m in advertising, and I can`t even keep straight who is legitimate anymore.

If you want to do YP, ask around and find out which ones your friends use when they need something-their will probably be a favorite that they trust.

As a side note, we stopped advertising in YP over 20 years ago. Why? Price shoppers. We found for our business that people would go down the category and call each listing to see who had the best price on something. Not the kind of business we like. Now they waste my competitor`s time calling them, while I`m out finding the best clients.
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in three YP books (one metro, and 2 `localized), and I probably spend $1500 annually. Rates vary dramatically from market to market.

I can tell which calls are generated by the YP - price shoppers, as kompressornsc pointed out. Those folks will always find a lesser price; I attempt to sell my quality of service and expertise, but sometimes they just want price. That`s ok, I don`t seek that market segment.

I think the YPs are mandatory, but really just as an adjunct to my (most important) word of mouth, and my "Van on the Highway" sign.

I`m so small, I use a cell phone as the biz phone - you gotta get that number listed!

I think I`ve done a good job of getting the name `out there`, but they remember the name, not the number, so, I need the YP books.

I figure it is 7-8 cars per year; they bill monthly, so it shouldn`t be a huge burden, at $150 per month.

I`m pleased to say that "I`m as busy as I wanna be", but I still keep my number as available as possible.

You have to spend money to make money.

Simple, but true.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Our yellow pages advertising has gotten completely out of control. This year the one is costing me around $600 a month and the other one is $175. I am definitely going to be scaling back the size of our ads next year because the sales tactics they use really piss me off. The salesperson basically told me how they work it:

- 4% increase for each ad every year (minimum)

- the salesperson is supposed to "lure" the client to a larger ad every year by giving a "special price". The next year if you don`t increase your ad size then you pay "the regular price" which is basically the same price you would pay if they increased your ad size (because they give you a "deal" to upgrade). Next year - same BS and so on and so on

- threatens your business with being put "last" in your section if you are the smallest ad

This kind of thing is predatory and IMHO should be illegal. However, it isn`t for the time being and we`re playing their game so I guess I will have to play the game better.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scott:

Yeah, the sales tactics are shameful...

But you`ll continue, iin some fashion, right?

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    To stay in budget, I started off this year for the first time with a small ad in two yellow pages (verizon) to see how it works. If it works then I`ll upgrade to a much better ad and more books. I`m in two of the YB`s of the two most business getting territories I operate my business in. I`m not going to speculate yet until the spring.
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit

Scott:

Yeah, the sales tactics are shameful...

But you`ll continue, iin some fashion, right?

Jim

Nope. I kept the ad size the same this year and told the salesman that if it meant dropping in size to save money then that`s what I was going to do. In the end they caved and I paid the same price for the same size without the increase. Next year the ad size will be going down a few sizes and the money saved will go to some other more productive forms of ads. After all, we have been open for almost 12 years now and most people in our city know who we are and where to find us. I actually have hired a marketing company to handle all our advertising from now on and it will hopefully pay off for us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the comments, I may try a couple of books just to see how it goes. Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott-my experience was the same. I started off with a 3 line insert ad. Next year, they advised me to go with a column ad along with my listing for just `a little more` but I stuck with the insert ad, which promptly went from $38 a month to $62 a month, only about $10 less than if I had upgraded. Next year, same thing and again, since I had only been getting about 6% of my new business out of the YP, I stuck with the insert ad and it increased to $85 a month. The next year, I dropped the insert ad and just went with the listing only....and I had my best year ever, again with 6% of my new business coming from the YP.

It was probably worth it for the first 2 years to get my name out but since I was 1 of 2 mobile detailers and `mobile` is in my business name, someone looking through the phone book would see the name and know I am mobile without me spending anything extra.

I got called this year from an SBC sales rep for the first time in about 3-4 years and when I didn`t call back, she sent me an e-mail (my website is given on my answering machine). This time it was not only YP advertising but also an internet directory.

This is the e-mail she sent me:

Hey Scott. I work for SBC Yellow Pages, and I took a look at your web site. Great job!! I see that you have had a lot of visitors. That`s awesome. I`d like to talk to you about advertising your business on our internet directory. It`s a great way to promote your website, and put your business name out there even more. Please give me a call, I only want to ask you for about 5-10 minutes of your time. This is a great opportunity for you to increase your productivity and an awesome way to get name

awareness!!! Give me a call, I hope to hear from you soon!!!

Thank You,

Tina XXXXX

Media Consultant

And my response:

Tina,

I dropped my 3 line insert ad in the SBC Yellow Pages years ago and my business continues to increase. The percentage of new customers I`m getting from the Yellow Pages is at around 6%, regardless of whether I have a simple listing or an insert ad. In fact, I am booked up 1-2 weeks in advance all the time.

Right now I have no interest in spending money on any advertising. My customers do that for me for free. Currently, 94% of my business is repeat or referral and that isn`t costing me anything other than doing excellent work.

Thank-you for your interest and the nice comments on my website. If for some reason I decide to advertise in next year`s book, I will get in touch with you.

Scott Hair

Owner, Scott`s Mobile Auto Detailing

She then called me back and said to keep in mind the deadline for next year is February 1st...and that she may call this spring to get her Jeep Cherokee detailed!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    In terms of Yellow Pages this is how it works (I used to be a sales rep for transwestern yellow pages a.k.a most hated person on earth). They`ll start you off deeply discounted just to get you in and jack the price up as previously mentioned just to get you to the point they think you should be paying. In terms of what ads to get, don`t bother with any in column ads. If you are serious about advertising via yellow pages, it would be in your best interest to get the largest ad in your particular heading to maximize your profits. Of course all of this depends on your budget. To be perfectly honest with you I feel the best advertising there is would be word of mouth or referalls. These are people that have already seen your work and know what is it like. Just my .02 cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Advirtising in the yellow pages is a horrible idea...I have not yet got a "good" customer from this source.

Post Thanks / Like
    This year I purchased $7000+ in yellow page advertising in a number of books in my area.

It is going to take a at least a month full of details to pay for but -NO GUTS NO GLORY!

I will let you know how it goes.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it has been a month so far and I have only made $140 from the yellow pages. I hope it picks up this summer.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve let my clients do all the talking for me. I have a guy in Houston who`s already gotten me 4 more jobs, and another who`s gotten me 4-5 more cars......and those are the out-of-towner`s.

It helps when you can get club owners or restuarant owners or the suchlike`s cars to detail, they quickly spread the word. :xyxthumbs

I also like to think saying a prayer or two never hurts.:grinno:

I think most of the time, just excellent work does more talking then any ad agency.:tribe:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information