Thread: Basic

Post Thanks / Like
    I offer a basic wash package among my many other packages and in the basic package I wash the vehicle, windows, vacum, and wipe down the interior. Today was the first day I have ever done a basic on a first time customer...as a matter of fact I did three and there is another tommorow at the same account that I have recently picked up. My problem was the vehicles were incredibly dirty, one of them could of used a acid bath and repainting before I ever touched it. I perform my basic and it turns out to be more work than its worth but I still charged the same(stupid I know). I told the owner of the facility that from now on either you will get a basic package or I will charge more for the extra amount of work that has to be done to get it clean. Did I handle this wrong or what..today was a very stressfull day.
    Sean L. Searls

03 Mitsu. EVOVIII

Post Thanks / Like
    well it sounds like your doing nothing more then the pooor poeple at the car retal places getting payed min wage get. You never told us how much you get paid.

Not for nohting I think your over thinking this and your using the Autopia standards to as person how is not in to taking care of thier cars.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate your situation and I congratulate you on your apparent early success!

This kind of situation is why I do very few simple wash and vacs... I hate to see cars leave my shop that do not meet my `standards`.

If you are offering `basic` packages, then there is always room for interpretation, and therefore, when do you "meet their expectations"?

I literally have a `satisfaction guarantee". Tough to do that while offering packages.

Which is why I don`t...

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The acct. I have picked up builds race cars...the ajoining building builds turbos so unless its a custom build they are all preety much basic jobs. My basic package is anywhere from $25 to $40 depending on wether they want me to do the interior and how big the vehicle is. Today I averaged $20 a hour I figured which I guess is not bad. I dont know..this is still preety new to me..the customers were happy but I wasnt. I dont mind doing basics for repeat customers because I now that it will take under a hour and will be minimal work.
    Sean L. Searls

03 Mitsu. EVOVIII

Post Thanks / Like
    When I have had clients call me regarding just getting something `basic` you`re usually in trouble. It`s one of those buzzwords or phrases like `the car is in great shape it just needs a little...` There is nothing wrong with doing a quickie package, and its a great service for customers` cars you regularly maintain but I found out quickly that it is really disappointing as a detailer to leave the car under your expectations. I think for a full time detailer, Jim`s advice is best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea makes since but there would go that one or more days a week when im not really busy and there is 4 or more basics.....im actually off to do one know:-( Well at least I know im not doing nothing wrong...I just felt horible about the buisness yesterday because of that one truck mainly. THanks for the input though guys.
    Sean L. Searls

03 Mitsu. EVOVIII

Thread Information