Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Tax season is fast approaching and I have a question for you pros.

About what do you pay to have your taxes done? This is our first year in business and I am wondering what to expect to pay to have taxes done for a small business. I just sort of want to see what the "going rate" is before I shop around.

Thanks

p.s. Any tips on finding an accountant will be helpfull as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know about the fees for small businesses, but my suggestion for finding a tax person is to check with your financial advisor. H&R Block type places are alright for simple places, but I`ve found that a full-time firm usually knows legal loopholes better than the small places and can save you more money. Also, they can help you throughout the year as part of their services and provide you advice on how to do things to lower taxable income.

Post Thanks / Like
    It costs me around $1500 to have my year end done and around $200 a month to have my monthly books reconciled. My personal taxes are thrown in for free and e-filed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ShineShop

It costs me around $1500 to have my year end done and around $200 a month to have my monthly books reconciled. My personal taxes are thrown in for free and e-filed.

wow! That was a lot higher than I was expecting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many/most accountants will determine the fee by the thickness of the stack of papers they file - - how much work you are having them do.

Paying $150/hr in a major metro area is not unusual and could go somewhat higher.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tom p.

Many/most accountants will determine the fee by the thickness of the stack of papers they file - - how much work you are having them do.

Paying $150/hr in a major metro area is not unusual and could go somewhat higher.

Cool deal. Thanks!

I have been asking around and have found a couple of smaller places, some people just working out of their home even, in the city where I live. I am waiting to hear back from them but this will most likely be the route I take for now.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can almost hear Taxlady now...

Me? I spend $5-600 annually with a CPA. I perfer a small practice, where you can speak directly with the principal, even if s/he delegates your work to bookkeepers. Remember, to them, your work is pretty simple stuff.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit

I can almost hear Taxlady now...

Me? I spend $5-600 annually with a CPA. I perfer a small practice, where you can speak directly with the principal, even if s/he delegates your work to bookkeepers. Remember, to them, your work is pretty simple stuff.

Jim

That sounds like a good price to me. I have not talked this over with my partner yet but I would not mind finding a CPA to do bookkeeping for next year. Would be one less thing I would have to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here in Greensboro, N.C., a small business can get taxes done for 400 - 1200 bucks by a CPA (state and federal), depending on the complexity. Or you might try TurboTax for 60 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually thought about TurboTax but not sure I got time to learn the software and stuff. And I am not sure if it is any good. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife does the taxes for us, her father, uncle, and at least 2 of our 4 adult kids. She also ran a medical office until 2000. She used an accountant for our office, but Turbotax for everything else. She says it is a simple, walk you through each step, easy to use program. She said she could use Turbotax for our business, but wanted to keep the books scrupulouly clean and without any question of bias towards us since we had partners; hence an accountant for the business tax forms. BTW, my son who is a high mogul in a large company uses turbotax for his personal returns also. (And your state forms are included in the price). I also saw a review of the different tax programs on-line, from PC.com. They rated Turbotax very good. Ask around; you probably have a friend or client who uses it; ask them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by HRP

My wife does the taxes for us, her father, uncle, and at least 2 of our 4 adult kids. She also ran a medical office until 2000. She used an accountant for our office, but Turbotax for everything else. She says it is a simple, walk you through each step, easy to use program. She said she could use Turbotax for our business, but wanted to keep the books scrupulouly clean and without any question of bias towards us since we had partners; hence an accountant for the business tax forms. BTW, my son who is a high mogul in a large company uses turbotax for his personal returns also. (And your state forms are included in the price). I also saw a review of the different tax programs on-line, from PC.com. They rated Turbotax very good. Ask around; you probably have a friend or client who uses it; ask them.

Thanks man! I might go this route!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2001civicex

wow! That was a lot higher than I was expecting.

We are an incorporated company so we are subject to filing corporate papers at year end. It may be considerably less for a regular small business.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was hoping to have a good answer for you since I work for a very large accounting firm. The problem is I am a computer geek and don`t know anything about taxes. If you would like I can find out about client pricing for you. And I do know they give nice client referal bonuses. I could split it with you

Post Thanks / Like
    My Dad helps me. He is a CPA.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information