Post Thanks / Like
    We had an interesting job in the shop this morning for a wash. 2002 Jetta in dark blue that had been just covered in some kind of weird fruit falling from a tree. The fruit splattered as it hit the paint and covered most of the hood, roof and trunk. We first pressure washed the paint thoroughly to remove as much of the fruit as possible and then gently washed the car. After drying the paint I was amazed to see that the fruit had actually dissolved the clearcoat right down to the basecoat and caused it to de-laminate in a 1 inch by 3 inch strip. The rest of the car had light etching in the shape of the fruit that had been on the paint. I have had some really bad etching from eggs, bird droppings etc.. in the past but this was crazy. We are doing a complete polish job on Monday with pictures to follow. Just goes to show you how big a difference washing your car regularly and maintaining a good coat of wax or paint sealant makes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve seen egg, bug and bird bomb etching but never from fruit. I do always remind my customers never to park under trees to prevent damage to their paint.

Post the pics when you get them. I`d like to see how you take care of this issue.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Really interesting, I have never even thought about the acids in fruits.

Definatly post up some pics. I want to see how it turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive seen damage from persimmon trees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct me if i am wrong please, but if the fruit has caused the clear coat to be removed wouldn`t you have to repaint it?? Especially if it is down to the basecoat??
    Semper Fidelis

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Hypnotiq04

Correct me if i am wrong please, but if the fruit has caused the clear coat to be removed wouldn`t you have to repaint it?? Especially if it is down to the basecoat??

That is what I was thinking too. I am interested in seeing how Scott and his crew correct the problems.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    He may just try making it look better in the interim before the client get`s around to a repaint.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do...

P.S.

How`s the home garage coming along?
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry boys, I should have been more clear in my original post. The fruit caused the paint to delaminate in a 1 inch by 3 inch strip on the hood. The rest of the car was covered in light etching on all the top surfaces. Unfortunately I forgot my camera at home the day the lady came back and I didn`t get any pictures - DOH! I found it very interesting though as in 11 years of business I have never seen this happen to a newer paint finish from just fruit splattering on it. Sorry again about not getting any pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    good luck with that man. cant wait to see how you handle it and how it comes out.

Post Thanks / Like
    from what you describe it sounds as though the hood will at the very least have to be sanded and re-clearcoated. Or they may have to repaint the hood entirely, what exactly is etching? is it something that needs to be wetsanded and compounded?

Post Thanks / Like
    The hood will need to be repainted unfortunately but we touched it up in the meantime to at least protect it. We had to clay the paint several times to get rid of all the fruit which was bonded to the paint. The etching was repaired in this case by compounding the paint and a follow up with paint sealant.

Post Thanks / Like
    What did you compound and seal with?

Thread Information