Post Thanks / Like
    Im going to show you some prices for the "detailers" in my town, i know these guys arent autopian by any means, but there prices are just so low. How would I, as an autopia, be able to compete w/ them when most customers want a cheap price. I know there are ppl that will pay for quailty but i fear they are few and far between. Im not trying to start a business but id like to make some money on the side. Here are THIER prices.

WaterWorks:Rob Warning invites you to the best car wash in town! Includes: rinse car, fender wells & wheels, scrub front end, windshield & mirrors for bugs, scrub tires & wheels, hand wash car & rinse, hand dry car, clean door jambs & Armorall, Armorall tires & wipe wheels, clean exterior windows. All this done while you wait in a clean comfortable waiting area! $8.00

Full detail from Watson`s Car Care Center. Includes buff & wax, engine, shampoo & clean interior. Make your SUV, Blazer or Explorer etc look its very best with a bumper to bumper detail from Watson`s Car Care Center. $60.00

Full detail for car only. Includes vacuum and shampoo carpet, clean windows, Armour All, hand wash and dry exterior and wax. Call James at 573-221-xxxx for an appointment. $33.00

Post Thanks / Like
    Robb,

You may be surprised to find out that the people who are willing to pay for top quailty detailing work are not as few and far between as you think.

The key to competing is simply to give your customer the type of service that they just cannot get anywhere else. When you do that then you basically have no real competition.

Remember, it`s all about marketing and going after the target market that has a real need for the high quality work that you would be offering. It`s really not about how to compete. It`s more about how to go out there and find the people who have a need for your service. It`s really that simple.

In summary, find a need and fill it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank I could of not said it better myself. I tell all these young kids coming up today "Do what you love and love what you do and then do it better than anybody else...they willl beat a path to your door" Never worry about twhat the competition is doing, let them worry about what you are doing. Amen

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob I don`t detail professionally as such and we have 2 detailers in out small town doing the *generic* detailing. Early last summer I was asked to do a friends car , it lead to another and now I have a steady flow of new and repeat customers.

I cater to more the business man in town with higher end cars and my first detail with them is a bit more money than they usually pay because I am polishing out the marring from the other detailer and thier kids washing with brushes etc but thier return trips are competitive with them and they get quality sealants.

You will be suprised how quality even a a higher $ will start attracting a better class of happy customer.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Robb

Im going to show you some prices for the "detailers" in my town, i know these guys arent autopian by any means, but there prices are just so low. How would I, as an autopia, be able to compete w/ them when most customers want a cheap price. I know there are ppl that will pay for quailty but i fear they are few and far between. Im not trying to start a business but id like to make some money on the side. Here are THIER prices.

WaterWorks:Rob Warning invites you to the best car wash in town! Includes: rinse car, fender wells & wheels, scrub front end, windshield & mirrors for bugs, scrub tires & wheels, hand wash car & rinse, hand dry car, clean door jambs & Armorall, Armorall tires & wipe wheels, clean exterior windows. All this done while you wait in a clean comfortable waiting area! $8.00

Full detail from Watson`s Car Care Center. Includes buff & wax, engine, shampoo & clean interior. Make your SUV, Blazer or Explorer etc look its very best with a bumper to bumper detail from Watson`s Car Care Center. $60.00

Full detail for car only. Includes vacuum and shampoo carpet, clean windows, Armour All, hand wash and dry exterior and wax. Call James at 573-221-xxxx for an appointment. $33.00

Here you see the endless cycle of destruction in the detail business. The "low baller" side of the business that charges next to nothing and by contrast the guy who just wants extra cash on the side. The reason prices get this low is because of 1. poor quality work 2. poor business skills 3. guys just doing it for "beer money" in their spare time and I could go on and on. If you are going to detail in your spare time then do it right and make a business of it. You may only be operating on a limited basis (weekends?) but if you run your little operation like a pro then guess what? You are one! Who cares what the hacks are charging because they don`t run your business right? Their costs and operating margins have nothing to do with your business so their pricing is irrelevant. Price your services based on your costs to operate your business plus what you want to earn (factoring in what the market will bear). You may note that the big companies don`t sell their products for a reduced rate in different areas of the country because some low baller is competing with them in a particular area right? If cheap prices were all that was relevant in sales then Starbcuks coffee would be unsellable and everyone would be going to Dunkin Donuts instead. Good luck!

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Decide what hourly rate is appropriate for you, then how long will it take you to the average sedan? SUV?

That`s the only way to approach the issue.

Good Luck
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I deal with this everyday. I use to try and compete and found myself doing " charity work", if i see dirt i have to remove it. These people are mostly low wage - hourly paid people, they have no interest in repeat business. If they wash your car for $8 , what do they make per hour $16 or $24 at a constant stream. Not much money there. Around here it is all Armorall(or other)- if you want interior work, you get a solvent based protectant, to coverup the dirt. If you want a carpet shampoo you get a hard , crusty mess with no attention to between or under seats. Don`t even get me started on the exterior. What you should do is place an ad or other means, that you custom clean, with no prices. When you talk to them , find out what they want, and explain that you can make their car look fantastic for a little extra money. Don`t play the "cheap game " it gives us all a bad name.

Post Thanks / Like
    I work the car shows. I have 6 cars I do that are heavy into car shows. I give them deals and ever since then I have blown up! You have to aim for the people that want the best and money isn`t a thang. If you get a old lady or any person that doens`t know the difference between Turtle Wax and P21S than all your going to do is try to explain yourself everytime. I have before and after pictures at car shows. These people what the edge against in the competition and they will pay for it.

I don`t want to do $30 jobs. I want to do the jobs that blow my customers minds. Never thinking that there car could look that way. Then the word will get out. I just got hired doing finishing and painting (in training) from the best painter in Ohio. He`s been in Classic Chevy, Mopar and 4x4 magazines.

I`m telling you go to car shows and make friends and you`ll make money!
    Long Live My Audi. She Will Dearly Be missed.

Visit My Gallery if you wish!

my own boss
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you clean it (better), they will come
    Saving the world one car at a time

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn`t have said it better!!!

Originally posted by ShineShop

Here you see the endless cycle of destruction in the detail business. The "low baller" side of the business that charges next to nothing and by contrast the guy who just wants extra cash on the side. The reason prices get this low is because of 1. poor quality work 2. poor business skills 3. guys just doing it for "beer money" in their spare time and I could go on and on. If you are going to detail in your spare time then do it right and make a business of it. You may only be operating on a limited basis (weekends?) but if you run your little operation like a pro then guess what? You are one! Who cares what the hacks are charging because they don`t run your business right? Their costs and operating margins have nothing to do with your business so their pricing is irrelevant. Price your services based on your costs to operate your business plus what you want to earn (factoring in what the market will bear). You may note that the big companies don`t sell their products for a reduced rate in different areas of the country because some low baller is competing with them in a particular area right? If cheap prices were all that was relevant in sales then Starbcuks coffee would be unsellable and everyone would be going to Dunkin Donuts instead. Good luck!
    2005 Cummins 4x4 6sp

2002 4.7 WJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good, my uncle shows older cars, i did his car this last year, maybe i can hang out at car shows w/ him and drum up some business, the paint on the older cars was horrendous. Thanks again everyone
    NO! I won`t do your car next.

Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to what Scott, Frank and the other said, this place will be out of business soon enough. You simply cannot earn a living at those prices, even if you "forget" your tax obligations. The fixed location shop near me does the `tote the note` used car lot cars for about $60 each and while they may charge significantly more for privately owned vehicles, the shortcuts they take on dealer cars makes its way down to the privately owned vehicles too and they get no repeat business....and every 18-24 months, the shop closes its doors, only to reopen with a new owner and name.

Detailing is not a get rich quick business. You must have a passion for the work or you will not make it in the long run. Your focus must always be in the quality of the work you do. Charge a fair price for your work (ultimately, only you can decide what that is), treat each car as if you are doing the best detail of your life and the money and reputation will follow.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    well said

Originally posted by Scottwax

Detailing is not a get rich quick business. You must have a passion for the work or you will not make it in the long run. Your focus must always be in the quality of the work you do. Charge a fair price for your work (ultimately, only you can decide what that is), treat each car as if you are doing the best detail of your life and the money and reputation will follow.
    2005 Cummins 4x4 6sp

2002 4.7 WJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Talk about having a passion for detailing. Sometimes I get so involved in detailing a customer`s car that I actually tell the customer that I enjoyed working on their car so much that I should be paying them. (sometimes they agree and say...okay)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have or want to stoop to the lowballers price , just make it a discount. Do it for the relatively same price , but claim a 25% off or whatever on the bill. Do good work and they will remember.

Thread Information