Post Thanks / Like
    When we first get into the car and the heating/air conditioning blower starts blowing, the air has a rather annoying smell. I don’t know if you would call it musty or something else, but it is really bad. After a few minutes it either goes away or we get used to it. I’m not sure.

What can be causing this? And, more importantly, how can I fix it?

The car is a 2002 Monte Carlo. No “climate control,†just a manual A/C system.

Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is probably mold or some fungus growing in the ducting. The only way I know to completely eliminate it is to remove and clean the ducting.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

There is probably mold or some fungus growing in the ducting. The only way I know to completely eliminate it is to remove and clean the ducting.
    Thanks for the response Scott.

I got many responses over at DetailCity that led me to a GM Service Bulletin on the subject. You are correct in that it is something growing. Apparently it is a common problem even though it`s the first time I`ve heard of it.

If you ever run into that kind of a problem on a job there is a foam spray that you induce downwind of the blower and before the evaporator. This coats the evaporator killing all those microbial critters. Beats taking everything apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the name of the product? I have a customer whose BMW 745 that has the scent of urine when the a/c first comes on. Doesn`t seem to bother him though. :nixweiss
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Was it einszett Klima Cleaner sold at Detailers Paradise. Never used it before but saved the name for future reference due to good reviews,, , ,on this board I believe. HTH.

-Stu.
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the name of the product? I have a customer whose BMW 745 that has the scent of urine when the a/c first comes on. Doesn`t seem to bother him though. :nixweiss
    That`s what ours does. YUK!

The stuff I was sold by our local AC Delco distributor can be found here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gracias, Amigo!
    www.scottwax.com

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Air conditioning unit - odour from the a/c (1Z Klima-Cleaner) is an effective means for removing odour-causing bacteria, fungi and other germs. Spray into the interior A/C vents and allow product to work for 30 minutes. It creates a healthier and fresh smelling environment for the interior of your car. Also change the cabin-air filter on a regular basis

Tip- turn off the AC but leave the fan running for the last minute or two before turning off the ignition to help dry the condenser and surrounding area.
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    In most vehicles it`s always a good idea to keep the a/c controls in the recirculate mode. That will allow fresh air to constantly enter the vehicle.

For example, when you run the a/c on max in most vehicles you are not in the recirculation mode, therfore you are only circulating stale air that is locked within the limits of the interior of the vehicle. Sometimes that can be the simple cause of that annoying musty smell.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a product called DWD2 and it works very well. It is a little pricey and the procedure to use it is a bit involved (depending on the car`s climate control set up). You actually introduce the foam into the evaporator box and on some models a small hole must be drilled, plugs for the hole are included and it includes comprehensive instructions. It kills the mold in the evaporator and the ducting. Most of the sprays that are introduced via the vent ducts never get back in to the evaporator. It will fix the problem.

The phone number I have for this company is (714) 917-0683. I haven`t purchased any for a couple of years and don`t know if this number is good or not. Their web site is still present: http://www.dwd2.com/docs/DWD2_Products.htm

I`ve still got an unused box of this stuff in my cupboard if you`re really desperate.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

In most vehicles it`s always a good idea to keep the a/c controls in the recirculate mode. That will allow fresh air to constantly enter the vehicle.

For example, when you run the a/c on max in most vehicles you are not in the recirculation mode, therfore you are only circulating stale air that is locked within the limits of the interior of the vehicle. Sometimes that can be the simple cause of that annoying musty smell.
    I think you got that exactly opposite. Think RE-circulate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was the day I was going to tackle this job. I had bought the foam spray and a new cabin filter. On this car I couldn`t seem to find the filter until I brought out the owner`s manual. I got the cabin filter out without any problems, but the evaporator seemed to be behind the engine in the firewall. You could see the tubing going into the firewall there. The filter was very yucky looking and I wasn`t sure exactly where to drill a hole as it was supposed to be downstream of the blower, but not knowing how the evaporator was situated in there I decided to just replace the cabin filter. I`ll get some advice on that later.

I actually think just the filter may have solved my problem anyway. It didn`t seem to smell after replacing it. (crossing fingers):up

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have geat success, on a daily basis, with ValuGard`s "Odor Terminator" ( www.autoint.com ). It is an enzymatic agent which poisons the food that the odor causing bacteria consume, thus killing the source bacteria. Quite effective.

First, we turn the fan on, and spray the product into the fresh air inlet (typically on the cowl), and allow to run for a few minutes. Then switch the controls to `recirculate` and defrost, spray product in pass side footwell. Run for several minutes, with doors closed.

We also use the product in our extractor...

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Thread Information