Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone says these are very important for starting a business. Supposedly this is why most small businesses fail.

Does anyone use one? What have you found most beneficial about having a good business plan.

Anyone want to share one/ I will. I found a great template for free on the internet. I am working on Mine now using this!

If anyone wants to share/contrast it could be beneficial to everyone. Here is the one I found: It is carwash/detail, but the same general concept.

http://www.bplans.com/spv/3249/

Does everyone think doing a business plan is a must?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it`s very important to draw up a business plan when starting a business, even before the bankers ask you too!

Most important, it makes you think about and compare your estimate of sales and costs, gives you an idea if the business could work financially and if you have enough capital on hand to avoid a cash flow problem in the early days.

I can`t write much more now, but no one has helped you when I get back tonight, I`ll be happy to help.

Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot. Anything will be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the very first things I did while attending entrepreneur small business courses at Rutgers Univ. in Camden, NJ along with a few advertising and marketing seminars at Drexel Univ. in Philadelphia, PA was to get started writing my business plan. I still write down everything. Every idea, every thought still gets documented. Actually the original mission of my business is still the same as I had written it back in 1986. That is ‘to do all of the polishing and waxing at the customer’s location and do everything by hand’.

Why do most detailing businesses fail? I would say that 80% of the effort should be focused on learning more about what it takes to own and operate a successful and profitable business. The other 20% of the time should be learning more about the actual process of detailing. Too often, many detailing businesses fail because the owners are too busy taking care of the technical side of the business. Sure they may be good detailers, however, that does not necessarily make them good business owners.

Here are a few things to think about to help get you started in regard to writing a good Business Plan.

1- Identify the type of business, market and customers you intend to service.

2- Identify why your detailing business will be profitable.

3- Identify how your detailing business will be affected by seasonal changes.

4- Identify specific business objectives and goals.

5- Decide if your detailing business will be mobile or on-site operation.

6- List your five nearest competitors.

7- Identify how your business will be better than that of the competition.

8- Identify your experience and knowledge of this type of business.

9- Identify your abilities, interests and reasons for going into this business.

10- Identify why you will be successful in this business venture.

Of course, there is a lot more to writing a good business plan, such as developing successful advertising, marketing, and pricing strategies. The key is to just get started writing down your thoughts and document everything. That`s the key.

I hope this helps...

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have Microsoft professional XP it has a business planner program on it that is very helpful. it will take you step by step. It is under MS Office Small Business Tools.
    "I think my blood is a Carnauba Prototype"

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had the `pleasure` of writing (and submitting) several business plans. 17 in all. It is a wonderful exercise for you; it forces you to consider every aspect of your proposed business. Do your due diligence, take your time, and have it reviewed by your peers.

Here`s what I`ve found: In every plan I`ve written:

I purposely created several areas of concern, areas that were open to question and discussionâ€

I have NEVER been confronted/questioned about those obvious areas of `oversight`. This tells me that the Banker skimmed the Business Plan, and was (on the surface) impressed by the detail involved.

I`ve actually been told that just existence of a Plan was enoughâ€.

Be aware that the financial strength of the borrowing principal(s) is the overriding factor. Whatever else you can add is fluff, but necasaryâ€
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not doing the business plan purely for financial reasons. I am doing the plan for my benefit. To ensure that I know all that goes on, etc..... I am starting a mobile operation and the costs are not as high as renting a place.

If anyone has a good template or outline to offer, that would be unreal.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as business goes being good at what you do is not enough (I’ve known many Architects who are very talented and yet their business failed because they concentrated on the end product and let the business end of things ‘take care of itself’)

Starting a new business demands much more than a good idea A new business needs seed capital, which means that you must also convince a wide range of people that your idea is a good one and that you can successfully generate profits in the future.

Mirrorfinishman- great write up

Jimmy Buffit-“I`ve actually been told that just existence of a Plan was enoughâ€.†That’s because they know you’ve put thought into it

As an illustration of the above point “I am not doing the business plan purely for financial reasons. I am doing the plan for my benefit. To ensure that I know all that goes on, etc..... “Rookie

(you might want to do a search under `mirrorfinishman` he`s submitted a lot of good posts on the buisness aspect of things)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most businesses fail, at least in the UK, due to cash flow problems.

A common question is, do you think of yourself as a xxxx (product) or a business person who is involved with xxxx. There is no right or wrong answer but it is important to know why your running a business.

Post Thanks / Like
    TOGWT, I already have the capital needed to start the business.

I have heard having a business plan that is thorough will significantly raise your chances of success. Now that I am beyond the getting capital stage, I am on to to making sure everything is sound.

Now, TOGWT. I do understand that getting capital is important for expansion, etc... but it is already done. thanks though.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may have the capital needed to start the business, but do you have the capital to keep it running for 6 months - 1 year?

Post Thanks / Like
    Zaneo, I am doing a business plan.

What is it for? It is for me. Do I have the capital? Yes.

I am fortunate enough to not have to do it for financial reasons. I am doing it to make it the best business it can be.

I am looking for any good templates/outlines/samples/ or even your own, to get me going.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s cool. I`m glad you don`t have the worries of actual business.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A detailing service will thrive in any area of the country if it is based on one, simple rule.

Give your customers more than they expect.

Repeat Customers are the Secret to Success! Give your customers more than just a clean car. Make a real impression.

Give them Quality, Value, and Piece of Mind.

Quality: there is simply no substitute. Insist on the highest-quality service, equipment, and products. Your competition doesn`t.

Value: give your customers value for their dollar. Never cut corners to save cost.

Peace of Mind: instil confidence in your customers. Proudly advertise your commitment to excellence.

Promoting: "First Class, We Care" image, develops loyal and lasting customer relations.

Groundwork:

ÂTailor your business to meet the needs of the local customer base, study your community, each hour spent on research, can equal a year of success.

ÂDetermine if there is a demand for high-quality detailing in your area: Survey the entire area. Look for high concentrations of traffic. Locate retail businesses, auto dealerships, manufacturing plants, medical buildings, airports, transport companies, etc.

ÂInvestigate local environmental laws with the EPA: State, county, and city laws vary greatly.

ÂCheckout the competition: Have your car detailed. Ask questions and observe.

ÂEducate yourself: Autopia.org is an excellent source for articles on detailing. If possible, work part-time in a shop. Practice your skills.

ÂDecide on the services you will offer: A well-rounded business should give the customer several detailing options, and offer specialized services.

ÂDecide on the types of vehicles you will detail: Fleet and emergency vehicles, boats, limousines and motorcycles can generate considerably higher detailing fees.

Summery:

Professional detailing can be a great business opportunity, but like any other business, it requires very careful planning and execution. Work smart, take the time to study and understand your market and build a business strategy around it. Once you’ve established your business plan, all it takes to execute it is hard work.

Good luck...

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zaneo,

I have to worry about actual business. But I do not have to worry about RAISING capital.

Not everyone makes a business plan for raisng capital, there are other reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information