Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $$ how much $$

Post Thanks / Like
    just a question for you guys? I was wondering what is the going charge for a full detail for a chevy 3500 full size truck. it`s the full size four door chevy silverado. and a honda del sol? my friend just asked me to detail his and his wife`s car But I don`t know what the going rate is for big trucks like that... I usually charge 120 for a car and 150 if I have to clay bar. thanks for any help guys...
    2004 Java Black Pearl WRX

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say it all depends on how much work is going to be involved. Will you be doing any paint corrections or just clay, wash, and wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the last poster said, you have to figure out what work you will have to do on both of these vehicles.

Eg

Will you have to:

Clay

Remove swirls

steam clean carpets(extractor)

How bad are the wheels

How bad is the paint (sap, tar etc)

If it were me I would figure out about how many hours it would take, and start from there.

There is alot more that I am forgetting, but this should give you an idea.
    2002 BMW M3

2000 BMW 328i

2000 BMW 323ci

1994 BMW 325is

Post Thanks / Like
    My rate would be $220.00 starting for the pickup, thats a beast.....149.00 for the Honduh.....Provided their in decent shape...Thats with a clay job also..
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d have to see it, but probably around $200; more if the interior is nasty or major paint correction is needed. Plan on 6 hours for that beast.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    wow scott......i must be doing something wrong because in order to do a full detail on a car like that silverado or some SUV like expedition, trailblazer, durtango....etc.....it would take me like 8-10 hrs by myself. I consider myself to work at a decent rate too. Sometimes I wonder if I`m wasting too much time when i use the cyclo or rotary on the outside by trying to perfect every flaw when it doesn`t improve. I`m not saying I`m burning the paint cause i`m moving the machine and keeping the rpms low (rotary only) but my process is as follows......

[U]Exterior[U]

Wash

Clay

Dry

compound w/ rotary if needed

menzerna ip

menzerna fp

3m PI-3

AIO

FMJ

*sometimes I may or may go from the ip to 3M PI-3 because of time purposes and AIO cleans it up a bit too i think. (could be wrong)

[U]Interior[U]

-vacuum once

-vacuum mats separately, then rinse, apply cleaner and use cyclo

-spray cleaner on carpeting with spot cleaner where necessary and use cyclo to agitate then vacuum 2nd time

-clean all instrument panels, seats (leather or upholstery), doorjams, etc.

-apply dressing to interior

-windows

-touch up vacuum where necessary

Generally this is the process that I follow, If any of the pros have suggestions it would greatly be appreciated because I lose my mind after staring at the same car for 10hrs and my whole day is shot.....then i have to clean up....uggh.

Thank you kindly,

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got two possible customers and would love to know what you would charge

Customer 1 with EB XR8 falcon, family sedan size in really good condition

Plan 1

Wash

Dress wheel arches, tyres, wheels, clean windows inside and out

Clay

Paint Cleanser

Swirl Mark remover X 2 passes

Omikron Bodyseal Paint sealant X 1 coat

3M premium liquid wax

Plan 2

Polish and wax instead of sealant

PPG 2K final glaze 2000

Omikron Liquid wax

Paste carnauba wax the next morning

Customer 2 - another falcon

Have not seen his car so will definately need clay but may require a cutting compound and from 3 to 5 coats of sealant

I`ve never timed how long it`s taken me to do each step and especially applying and removing a coat of sealant

A few of the sealants I use are up around $65 dollars for 1 Litre

Could you possible supply a rough price for each extra coat of sealant

Thanks
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me preface by saying that I`m not a pro.

Why don`t you guys come up with an hourly rate? Figure out your overhead/expenses per week/month/year, how much salary you expect to make per week/month/year and how many hours of detailing per week/month/year you expect to get in business. Those three variables should help you determine the hourly rate you should charge. From there you can price against your competition and see if you are in line, or way above them. Adjust any of the variables accordingly to keep your prices competitive.

Once you have a fixed hourly rate you can start pricing jobs. The more experience you have will help with this as well. Once you detail a few mid size sedans you`ll have a good idea as to how long a wash, clay, pre-wax, wax routine will take you. Extras like swirl removal estimates will need to be given in person. Experience will factor in here as well. You should eventually be able to determine by looking at a car how long it will take to remove swirls. Factor in the type of car as well (ex. Audi clears are harder - may take longer than a similar BMW, etc).

I dunno. If I decided to turn pro, that`s how I would do it.

JMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BillNorth

Let me preface by saying that I`m not a pro.

Why don`t you guys come up with an hourly rate? Figure out your overhead/expenses per week/month/year, how much salary you expect to make per week/month/year and how many hours of detailing per week/month/year you expect to get in business. Those three variables should help you determine the hourly rate you should charge. From there you can price against your competition and see if you are in line, or way above them. Adjust any of the variables accordingly to keep your prices competitive.

Once you have a fixed hourly rate you can start pricing jobs......

Bill: Sounds like you have owned a small business or at least drawn up a business plan or two?

Thats exactly how I would work up my prices.
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RedondoV6

Bill: Sounds like you have owned a small business or at least drawn up a business plan or two?

Thats exactly how I would work up my prices.

Mike, I`ve actually never owned a business or written a business plan. To me business is as much common sense as it is creativity/entrpreneurial spirit. Understanding your costs is just one of the basics.

I dunno.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BillNorth

Mike, I`ve actually never owned a business or written a business plan. To me business is as much common sense as it is creativity/entrpreneurial spirit. Understanding your costs is just one of the basics.

I dunno.

Arhhh Bill! If sense was so common, everyone made realistic forecasts of sales and costs and started their businesses with enough capital to see them through, the start up failure rate wouldn`t be so high.

Did anyone ever tell you "you sound like an accountant!"

I mean that in a nice way!:LOLOL
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RedondoV6

Arhhh Bill! If sense was so common, everyone made realistic forecasts of sales and costs and started their businesses with enough capital to see them through, the start up failure rate wouldn`t be so high.

Did anyone ever tell you "you sound like an accountant!"

I mean that in a nice way!:LOLOL

LOL! Very true indeed!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $$ how much $$

Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax View Post
    I`d have to see it, but probably around $200; more if the interior is nasty or major paint correction is needed. Plan on 6 hours for that beast.
    Really? You guys charge $200 for a full days work?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $$ how much $$

For a simple one step polish and Sealant, interior detail, I wouldn’t touch that truck for less than $750, and the car at least $450.
    Likes wristymanchego liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

$$ how much $$

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    For a simple one step polish and Sealant, interior detail, I wouldn’t touch that truck for less than $750, and the car at least $450.
    Thanks for not pointing out that this thread is 14 years old, Mike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information