Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I ALWAYS get offered sodas, water, beer, even lunch when I detail for my clients. Since I already feel I am taking their money, I always decline their gesture. I usually bring my own water anyway. But I was just curious if you guys acceept offers like this from your customers? It had me thinking about it when I read the tip thread. One customer asked me every 1/2 hour if I wanted a bottled water and it was almost like he took offense to it when I declined each time. I hate to be rude, but I dont want to make them feel like I am there to suck them dry of their food either lol

What do you guys think?
    Bryan

2003 Mustang Cobra

SSR2.5/ UPP/ Maintained with TOL Bubble Wash/QEW & QS.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Thanks, but I have my own." usually works for me.
    2005 Harley Softtail, 1998 Infinity QX4, 1998 ContourSVT

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, who said there`s no such thing as a free lunch? You have got some very good customers there and the best advice is to realize that they are only trying to be friendly.

I have got a couple of customers where I know that they will be offering me lunch, so I actually plan my day accordingly. It`s pretty cool.

Here`s something to also keep in mind. Accepting an offer for something to eat or drink will usually allow you time to stop and talk with your customer. Think about it, they are basically giving you a good opportunity to take a break and get to know a little more about them and their family. It`s a good way to establish a lasting relationship with your customers. Go ahead and enjoy their generosity.

Post Thanks / Like
    like what mfm said...

i never turn it down, it`s a gesture of trust and friendship, even on a very shallow level. if you just turn it down, it`s like saying "im only here for the job, let me do my work"... i believe that personal touches to a service will pay dividends in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like
    there`s nothing wrong with accepting a bottle of water or Coke or whatever. Sitting down and having lunch may be a different issue and it`s gonna prevent you from moving to the next job on a timely basis.

Anytime I have people doing work at my house, I make it a point to have a cooler with beverages (on ice) that I leave for them. It is a very small gesture, costs only a few bucks and does help build some minor amount of friendship and trust, IMO.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    I politely decline and save my chatting with the client after the detail. When they see the finished car, they are inclined to talk longer instead of while I am working.

In fact, after a lengthy conversation yesterday, I will be doing some computer work in the guy`s home.

But, if they offer, there`s no reason to decline it if you really want it.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good points everyone!

:up
    Bryan

2003 Mustang Cobra

SSR2.5/ UPP/ Maintained with TOL Bubble Wash/QEW & QS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually mention that I already have a cooler with me, but sometimes they will still bring me out a glass or bottle of water. If they have already gone to the trouble like that, I feel it would be rude to turn them down then.

I have several customers with refrigerators in their garage and they always say if I run out of stuff to drink, feel free to raid the fridge.

I`ve had customers bake cookies and stuff like that as a tip, one guy gave me two pounds of freshly smoked salmon he had caught on a fishing trip to Alaska! Money tips are always nice, but when someone goes to some trouble to give you something extra, it really makes you feel good. :xyxthumbs
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually say that I bring my own, but I might need a refill since its usually hot and I will let you know when I do. I had a customer go out and get me lunch once. He would not let me go out and get my own, he made me write down what I wanted, paid for it, and just told me to relax while he was gone. I ended up working on the car until he came back and then we sat down and had lunch together. There are a lot of nice people out there who appreciate what you do and are generally eager to help you out in any way possible.

Detailing Rottweiler 1 Clean WS6's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Greg

There are a lot of nice people out there who appreciate what you do and are generally eager to help you out in any way possible.

I agree 100%
    Mike
    Sweating the Details Mobile Detailing Service
    Owner/Operator

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, when i have anyone in my home or buiness doing a service for me I do not care if i am paying them i always offer food/beverage/beer as a thank you and to show them I apprecite them working for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

I have several customers with refrigerators in their garage and they always say if I run out of stuff to drink, feel free to raid the fridge.

I did work for a guy who left me the garage code to get into it while he was away. He said that I could have anything I wanted to drink in the fridge.

Well, it was loaded with beer. So I finished, had three Heineken and listened to the Yankee game on the radio sitting in the garage!

It was pouring outside. I didn`t want to load up my car in the rain.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    While I am far from a pro detailer I have done some side work to make a little extra cash with a friend of mine. One client we had left us the code to his garage and told us to do the cars when ever we wanted. We started on a saturday night, and finished the rest sunday. The thing I liked is that he left us alone the entire time we were working and only came out a few times to chit chat. He was a really good guy, told us we could take the cars out for a drive to get food or whatever we wanted. Even went to get us milkshakes from the local ice cream place.

Now my questions are as follows:

1) how do you deal with a client that is following you around and inspecting every little move you make and ask him to leave you alone so that you can do your job without being an ***?

and

2) Would you have taken one of the cars to get lunch?

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you guys accept beverages offer you... When I have people working at the house, especially outside (Houston heat!), I almost feel guilty and really want to offer something - it makes me happy when they accept a cold drink! I like to show that I appreciate their work... Just a point of view from the customer side .
    Tanguy Perinne
    1997 ProCharged Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    my dad`s belief is that if you take care of the person doing whatever for you, they`ll take car of you. when we dropped off our project `59 dodge at the body shop we brought them a pizza and a couple of 2 liters. It shows that you care about the people working for/with you, and hopefully it suggests that the job is important to you, and that you expect good work. not to mention it starts good relations; ie, i might be working in the detail bay next summer for the guy.

i would accept something if they brought it out to me. if not and i have my own, then i politely decline. the only people i have worked for however were family friends that i always had something to talk about with.
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information