Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Detailing Rottweiler 1 Clean WS6's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys!!

I was wondering if any of you have experienced this phenomenon. I have a few repeat clients (usually a wax package on a quarterly basis) that do not tip. They obviously are happy with my work since they keep calling me. I`ve had a few over two years now...yet not a single tip. I`ve gotten referral business off of some...yet no tip. They call me to come clean their cars when my schedule says they are due...yet no tip. I`m always happy to earn their business and will always do the best I can on their vehicles...it just seemed odd to me.

Have any of you other pro`s had this happen??

Mike
    Mike
    Sweating the Details Mobile Detailing Service
    Owner/Operator

Post Thanks / Like
    While not being a pro I used to wash cars weekly for old neighbors and they always tipped me. Maybe they think you added in your tip with the price or somethin.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t consider myself a pro, but I`ve never received a tip, either.

Post Thanks / Like
    It really depends I think on the customer. I think a lot of customers probably feel that since you are doing the work yourself there is no need to tip. I usually tip someone for a job well done but also because most of the money they are making isn`t going to the person, but the buisiness` owner. Since it`s usually not the same with mobile detailers I would imagine that the customer figures you already make what you want to charge. With that said, I had one really nice lady tip me $20 for $100 of work. I`ve also had jobs where I went over and above and received no tip. When I worked at a kayak shop and dealt with tourists day in and out I figured I`d get tipped since I helped them get into boats, gear up, etc. In 1.5 years I was tipped only once, go figure.

Post Thanks / Like
    They may not understand that a tip is expected. I didn`t know you tipped the person who cut your hair until my wife told me. How do you educate them without offending them? That`s a tough question.

On the other hand, we have a friend from NYC. He`s a lock smith. When he opened shop in Colorado, he expected tips. He got them in NYC. I don`t know, it kind of felt like tipping the plumber! :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I never expect tips, but I`m always glad to get them. I have some customers who never tip on a weekly basis, but they usually tip at Christmas. Others tip all the time. I have one who pays me $100 a week just to wash/vac/dress tires on his Cadillac DTS and Chevy Suburban. That is a $40 tip every week! I`ve told him he pays me too much for just a wash but he says he likes my work and that I am understanding when he is out of town (which he always lets me know at least a week in advance). Normally though, $5-20 is the normal tip from my weekly wash customers.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s pretty unusual for me to get a tip. The best I have done was a $20 tip on a $30 wash!!
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    They come all ways, tips, no tips, it shouldn`t matter. Do your best and charge accordingly. Don`t expect a tip but be gracious when you do get one.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Superior Shine

They come all ways, tips, no tips, it shouldn`t matter. Do your best and charge accordingly. Don`t expect a tip but be gracious when you do get one.

Good point. I don`t think of the car detailing business as a business that is typically thought of as a business to tip. Most business`s that gets tips (waiters, hairstylists etc.) are usually low paying jobs that are made reasonable through tips. Nobody tips the plumber, the mechanic or the carpenter after a job well done. Tips shouldn`t be expected in this industry but graciously appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think it`s right etiquette to tip the owner, even in a restaurant... Your workers are different, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually tip employees. I never tip the owner. Owner sets the price which is the value of the product/service.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never expect tips. We have our prices set to where we don`t have to depend on tips and stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you educate them without offending them? That`s a tough question.

Simple, put a tip jar out in plain view. Most people probably don`t even give a thought to tipping a mobile detainler working for himself. I probably wouldn`t. I figure you set the price you want and as an independant businessman, that is what you pay. Now if I went into a shop where there was some employee working for the business owner I would tip him. So, just attach a tip can to the insied of your trailer door which you will leave open, or wherever you write up the invoice and accept payment, and plant the thought w/o bringing it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never expect a tip. Most of the time, when I get paid in cash, count it out and find more than the price I charged, I let the cutomer know that he/she paid too much. If they say no problem, then I graciously thank them.

I have clients overpay the amount in a check, once again, I tell them they put down too large an amount. Since most peole don`t want to write another check, they say it;s all set, and once again I graciously thank them.

There was one detail that one of my customers payed cash for. He was embarrased that he was short the amount (Hhe thought he had enough cash with him, the differnce was $20). He is a regular client, so I told him not to worry about it. The following day he came by with the difference and an additional $20!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by theveed

I dont think it`s right etiquette to tip the owner, even in a restaurant... Your workers are different, though.

Ditto!:xyxthumbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information