Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everyone,

I`m 17 and have always had my own business in one form or another... I`ve made decent money and never had the need or desire to go out and get a "real job" making next to nothing. I`ve been obsessed with detailing cars since before getting my license, and my skills have grown over the past year or two. I`m still learning, but I am confident that I have what I need to do a great job on customer cars, and get their repeat business. I`ve looked at the prices that professional detailers are charging around this board, and what the going rates are in my area, and I could easily work for about half of what others are charging until the business grows.

Some questions... first, would you ever trust a 17 year old detailing your car? (I`m aware of the liability issues, and how it would be my parent`s responsibility). How would you go about doing this if you were in my position? Should I even bother cutting other detailer`s prices by half, or will customers think a really low price = inferior service?

Just some thoughts... I have over $500 worth of detailing supplies in my garage. I`ve done side work for family and friends (mostly unpaid, though) and I have some refrences. I`ve done work on crappy auction cars to bring them to a show car shine... and also done work like detailing my friend`s cousin`s new GS300 so he looked good before going clubbing. I would just do basic detailing work (wash/wax, claybar, polish, wax, windows, tires, interior dress/vacuum, etc) but have done more complicated work like entirely getting rid of my mom`s major accident scuffs and making the door panels from those look new, etc
    1993 Honda Del Sol w/ new 350z sunset LeMans paintjob. Smallest mobile detailing vehicle on the board? (17 and saving for an a4 1.8t)

Joe Granata, Perfect Finish Mobile Auto Detailing

Parma, OH

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I`d let a 17 year old detail my car.

I would say that most of your business is going to be on referrals anyway....you did this guys car and his girlfriend see`s it and wants hers done...her dad then wants his done...people at his office see his.....and so on.

What I mean is getting a business going is difficult for anyone and everybody has obstacles ( yours may or may not be your age)

but ultimately your business will fail or succeed based on your ability to provide a quality service at a competetive price.

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders...you`ll do fine........my compliments to you and your parents.
    1988 Toyota Camry

1994 Toyota Landcruiser

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not a pro detailer, but I do charge friends and referrals the going rate for our area (family members are a different story). For detailing, *IMO* your age does not determine the price, it`s the quality of the finished product. If your work is first rate, I believe you should charge accordingly. Don`t let what`s going on between your ears get in the way of talking about money to clients. You don`t have to be the most expensive guy in town, but don`t give your services away either. The quality of your work will justify what you charge.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
    "Life`s tough. It`s tougher if you`re stoopid."

02 Subaru Forester

97 Lexus LS400

Post Thanks / Like
    you`ll also find that when you start detailing multiple cars you use a lot more products, pads, towels etc.. you have to factor that into your cost as well as man hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would agree that quality of the finished product has more to do with it than age. Referrals will be what your business will be based on. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do yourself a favor and your future customers work in a quality detail shop for at least a year. Find out how to market yourself. Learn how to handle customers and their complaints.Learn what products do what. I have 27 different polishes, 4 different carpet cleaners, 3 all purpose cleaners. the point here is that there is not a product on the market today which is suitable for every vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TechSol

I have over $500 worth of detailing supplies in my garage.

And growing ;-)

With no work history, or even if I had work history... it`d be hard in this area for any 17 year old to get any detailing job other than washing the cars. I have a few friends that do that at some dealerships... hardly a professional shop. I did call about a job at one shop that was looking for detailers, but they said they just had filled all the positions.

edit: My new plan of action is to buy a 10` by 10` tent from the local closeout store (I think like $30) and have my friend who owns a graphic design company make me some banners for the tent as well as magnetic signs for my car (since it`s always spotless). I then plan to detail my aunt`s newer Aurora for the cost of materials outside of her busy office building, as well as my Uncle`s Avalon at his more upscale building on another day. I have a few more connections that I can do in this way, and hopefully it will get some attention! I also am very big in the local carshow scene and maybe that will help as well. I actually have cases of some detailing products to sell at some shows, so I should definatley be able to promote my business while I sell
    1993 Honda Del Sol w/ new 350z sunset LeMans paintjob. Smallest mobile detailing vehicle on the board? (17 and saving for an a4 1.8t)

Parma, OH

Post Thanks / Like
    My advice would be present yourself in a professional manner. Age shouldn`t be an issue if you act like a professional (same token as having and "adult" detailer that acts like a kid).

If you`re going to do this often, you might want to invest on something more than your detailing supplies and equipment.

I`m not sure on how things work in the US to start a small business and getting licenses, permits, etc. But I hope you get my drift...

1) Image. Present yourself in a respectable manner. People almost always judge with your first impression. A long haired, loosely clothed, punked hair guy appearance may be a turn off to most, regardless of your real skill and personality. In short, don`t give people a reason to dislike your approach before you even say a word.

2) Invest in a photo portfolio and maybe a basic website with pics and testimonials. Everytime you work on a car, whether it`s a simple wash and wax, wash, full detail, etc... Invest on pictures, client praises, etc. Show them your processes and results. A picture is worth a thousand words.

3) Be responsible, don`t act like a know-it-all coz it might come back and haunt you. If you have a client that has a 50K car, understand their concerns with their car`s safety. Yes, you may know how to detail safely and correctly, but as the owner, why should I trust you? Give them a reason to trust you and your work.

If you don`t have plans to make this "full time", at least set yourself a schedule that you`ll be ready to take clients. Maybe you can dedicate every Sunday as your detailing day, so at least you can tell people "let`s schedule it on a Sunday, I always detail on a Sunday" instead of "I have to check my schedule to see if I can accomodate you"... You don`t have that level of identity to be able to "demand" that from your clients.

I hope that helps..

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone from my area and where I do a few details every now and then.

I`d take AutocareUSA`s advice. Definately try and find a detailing shop to work at for a while. I learned so much in my year of working there and if it wasn`t for the time spent there then I`d be clueless on how to handle quite a few things. You want to be confident in what you`re doing and you want your confidence to show to your clients. If you`re not confident in your work, your clients will be very uneasy about allowing you to work on their cars. Some advice for finding work at detailers shops is to just go through the Yellowpages and start calling all the shops in there and ask if they have any openings. It`s hard to be the hands on experience of working alongside someone who`s been in the busy for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TechSol

Some questions... first, would you ever trust a 17 year old detailing your car?

Hey, if you`re smart enough to keep up with detailing by participating here at Autopia, then you can certainly be trusted with detailing a car.

Just try to get started with the idea that you are simply growing a hobby, not actually starting a business. Then as you progress, you`ll learn more about what it takes to provide your services as an actual business.

Take your time and enjoy the view.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with what dgraupman said

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the business is officially started! I received my business cards last week, and spent some time putting a card under the wiper of every Audi, Benz, Lexus, etc at the mall. I talked to the guy I know with the GS300 and he asked for a bunch of cards to pass out since he "knows a lot of people with a lot of nice cars". I also picked up some QEW this morning and washed my car with it, that stuff is amazing! I`m out to pass out some more cards, I`ll update later

Also, I just got a missed call from a cell phone number registered in a pretty wealthy city 20 minutes away, I`m thinking that might have been one of the nice cars I put a card on... but I missed the call

Parma, OH

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on starting. In regards to putting cards under wipers though, you might want to be careful. Some people are very protective of their cars and don`t appreciate it when people do it. Go luck with the business. If you have any hands on questions feel free to PM me, I`m about 20 minutes away from you. Best of luck in your new business venture and be sure to post pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I was a bit worried about doing that as well. I browsed through past posts and it seems that most people got results from putting a nice, classy busines card under the wiper blade, but not a big bright flyer. I didn`t know there were any local autopians other than accumulator, what area are you from??

edit: One question, do you know anywhere decent around here to buy detailing supplies?! (like a local Klasse reseller, etc?) I haven`t found anywhere... and was shocked that there was even anywhere near here to buy Quick Easy Waxh

Parma, OH

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually I don`t buy anything locally except for my wash soap and and NXT. The rest of the stuff I order offline. You might want and try going to the manufactures website and seeing if they have a dealer locator page. I`m in Macedonia BTW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information