Post Thanks / Like
    Friday I received a phone call from a prospective client inquiring upon detailing his 03 Dakota for a sale. He stated that he was just looking to clean the vehicle up as it is only 1 year old and he washed it recently and didn`t even want wax. Anyways, we were able to agree upon giving the vehicle an `express detail` as I knew this vehicle would require more work than he described but knew he wasn`t interested in really polishing it. Anyways, I show up to detail the vehicle and there are a few immediate concerns of mine. First, the exterior isn`t swirled or scratched but everything is horribly etched from water spots. Secondly the interior was monstrous. Several 3-4 yr olds were able to take the backseat to town. An entire bag of dorito chips had been emptied and crushed, coke was dried in the carpet, crayons had partially melted in spots, a little bit of playdoh was around, etc.

First thing the client says to me is remarking about the lack of having a huge detailing van. I mentioned size isn`t everything as I noticed he had a Miata in the garage that he apparently raced. He then asked me if I could get rid of the soda stain 100%, I almost laughed as that was the least nasty part of the interior. Anyways, when I was complete the vehicle looked very nice for what I had been paid to perform. The customer inspected every nook of the vehicle trying to eye `what a buyer would notice`. I couldn`t help but think that if he had just maintained the vehicle minimally he wouldn`t have had to worry so much. It`s always the customers with the worst vehicles that expect the most from me. It`s like they want me to undo their years of vehicle abuse without any trace. I just wish I could do that all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to open this thread as I can relate to "Miracle Worker" as you so titled the post. I share your pain, I have had many interiors that looked like a weekend party was hosted in the car. I have leanred now from experience, if they don`t want to pay for the right kind of work, I take a pass on the job. I can`t compromise on the quality of my work. If you trashed the car, here is what it will cost it restore it. End of story. Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Whenever I hear "it isn`t that bad" or "I only want this" or "it only needs a little" I know the vehicle will be FUBAR. It`s a theory proven through 11 years of experience and it is 99 % accurate. The people who are the cheapest, pickiest and rudest are always driving the most neglected and abused vehicles you will ever see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by turbomangt

I had to open this thread as I can relate to "Miracle Worker" as you so titled the post. I share your pain, I have had many interiors that looked like a weekend party was hosted in the car. I have leanred now from experience, if they don`t want to pay for the right kind of work, I take a pass on the job. I can`t compromise on the quality of my work. If you trashed the car, here is what it will cost it restore it. End of story. Gary

I agree 100% -

ncal - it seems like the one so particular are the ones who have trashed there vehicles.
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh so agree with what ShineShop said...

Post Thanks / Like
    Also agree with ShineShop true to every aspect...

As a business owner you just suck it up and smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ShineShop

Whenever I hear "it isn`t that bad" or "I only want this" or "it only needs a little" I know the vehicle will be FUBAR. It`s a theory proven through 11 years of experience and it is 99 % accurate. The people who are the cheapest, pickiest and rudest are always driving the most neglected and abused vehicles you will ever see.

This man speaks the truth!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I`ve definately learned my lesson. Today I received a call from someone via an ad for my services that seemed set on getting the detail. When I gave him a quote for a middle of the road detail he replied that he `just wanted to sell the vehicle`. Instead of trying to cut corners and offer him a cheaper package I pretty much gave him my number and politely told him to call if he was ever interested. Not going to get burned a second time on the `Just a littlers` : D

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been advertising in a free classifieds in my area which is used A LOT. I figured that I would have good luck there and I sure have gotten a number of responses. However, everyone keeps trying to lowball services from me. Almost every response from this advertising is someone trying to reiterate how `small` their car is and they `just want a little` done to the car. I mean, if it just needs a little care, why hire the detailer? Anyways, I`m just frustrated with all of the the people looking to spend 50 bucks for a detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    RULE of THUMB the customers that call you and tell you what has to be done and how to do it ARE the WORST CHEAPEST customers that you will come across.They will bargin and cheap you down untill you get discusted,NEVER give in just smile give them your card and walk away YOU will win in the end.If you do the job.................you will be `````ing and moaning all the way through

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I ask how much you guys are asking to do a detail? I have never used a detailer for my car as I love to learn and I use this board as a source for knowledge. But in the amount of time I have been "learning" I realize just how much work goes into a good detail job. I mean 3-4 hours on a Saturday just to wash, clean the inside and NXT the car is a good day for me. Hell I spent 2 hours cleaning the leather last weekend. So if you guys are charging $125.00 I think that is to low. Maybe the problem is these people are weekend washer. i.e. grab a bucket some sunlight wash the car and have themselves back on the couch in 1/2 an hour. They just don`t understand how much work goes into a real detailing. Personally I say stand your ground and like someone said smile hand them a card and say call me if you are serious. Just my 2 cents.

Thread Information