Post Thanks / Like
    I have always told my customers in order to keep their leather looking new they should condition it on a regular basis. Today a guy comes in and shows me his manual and can you believe it says the following....."You do not need to use conditioners on your leather seats to keep them looking new" If I didn`t read it with my own eyes I wouldn`t believe it. any comments on this one or why a car company would say that in the manual? Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve heard debates about the new leathers that have a coating.

Some say applying a lotion to them doesn`t help because the oils don`t get through the coating to get to the leather. Some say the oils in leather conditioner can actually damage this coating.

They suggest just putting some type of dressing on it for UV protection. I`d say something like 303 Aerospace would work. One of the few I know that will dry all the way.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    How can you tell the difference between coated and non coated leather? I`d like some tech data on this if anyone has it. Years/makes/ models of cars with this coating. It would be helpful I think for all of us. Gary I hate to think I`ve been wasting my time conditioning leather all these years......

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually think most new leather is coated. Most leather is actually a coated analine leather. The color isn`t dyed into the leather but sprayed onto the leather like a paint.

Leather that is dyed in barrels is only found in expensive vehicles like Rolls, Bentley, etc.

Also, not all vehicles with leather have all leather seats. I`ve noticed on some just the main center area is actually leather. On trucks I`ve noticed the back seats don`t appear to be leather at all.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

New Jersey -- Attitude Capital of the World!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gary,

Great to see you online!

The way to tell if leather is coated or not is to just wipe the leather with conditioner. Did it absorb and leave a spot? If so then it`s naked leather and needs to be treated. :dance

You`d be surprised with how many models have naked leather and the ones that have coated.

Mercedes, Acura and the upscale cars have naked leather, from my experience. American cars like Lincoln, Chevrolet have coated, I believe.
    Brian Angelucci

Precision Auto & Marine

Professional Detailing Technician`s Association

Thread Information