Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    To buy or not to buy is the question! How did you rotary guys come to the conclusion that you needed something more than a RO? I did a black Impala SS yesterday and it seemed no matter what product/pad I tried I could not get the finish up to par for release... Ended up loosing money because of the amount of time it took me to get it looking decent....

Thanks for the help
    2005 Cummins 4x4 6sp

2002 4.7 WJ

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m like you there comes a point to where the paint can`t get any better looking with the PC. I purchased the harbor freight rotary for $25 for the learning curve. i`ll learn how to use it then if it breaks in a year i`ll graduate to a makita. where in LA are you at?? theres a harbor freight on airline in kenner and on sherwood forest in baton rouge.
    01 Supercharged Nissan Frontier

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in metairie, what about you? I was thinking about getting the harbor freight rotary, not sure though... Don`t want to spin my wheels like I did with the PC.....
    2005 Cummins 4x4 6sp

2002 4.7 WJ

Post Thanks / Like
    The high speed buffer is quite an art form. You might think of hanging around some one who specialized in rubbing and buffing high end car restorations. You can get a lot from their experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went rotary when I found that I couldn`t remove sorta-bad marring from certain hard clears using the PC or Cyclo (not matter how long I worked it). On *my* vehicles, I seldom need it unless someone at the dealership has been careless But on (non-Autopian) friends` cars, I can`t get by without it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dennis H. - Yup, I borrowed a buddies old Milwaukee and got a panel from the junk yard. First thing I did was crank it to the fastest setting to see what burnt clear/paint looked like. From there I buffed the panel to a high gloss, then wet sanded and buffed. Only problem, my buddy took his rotary back for his work...

Accumulator - That`s where I`m at. Just trying to get up enough nerve to hit the "buy" button.... and trying to figure out whether I really need it....
    2005 Cummins 4x4 6sp

2002 4.7 WJ

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the Makita 9227 when I ran across a couple of jobs the Cyclo couldn`t handle.
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend at a Ford dealer showed me how to use a rotary since the guy who detailed our cars would not. He said it was to hard to learn. Been using mine for the past eleven years with no problems. Well worth the investment for time saved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its pretty simple. Run it at a lower speed to start, stay away from edges, and dont sit in one spot. Just practice on a beater, and youll be fine!!!!!
    18 Honda Civic SI White Pearl 6mt(:lever

02 Honda Aquatrax f12x watercraft

01 Yamaha Superjet Modded

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles,

I have the rotary from Harbor Freight. It is a Chicago Electric rotary. You really should get this rotary. Its inexpensive and I have never had a problem with mine. The PC is an awesome machine as you know, but does not generate the heat a rotary does. The sanding situation I had on the Impala would not come out with a pc. I had to use the rotary with a wool pad. It generated the heat I needed to level the paint to remove the scratched. Get with me and we`ll go together and work with a bit.
    Scott
    Owner
    Gentle Touch Mobile Auto Detailing
    New Orleans

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, thanks for the help! Does it bog down any (not that I`m going to be applying a ton of pressure)? How responsive is the trigger?

Thanks,again....

Originally posted by gentletouch

Charles,

I have the rotary from Harbor Freight. It is a Chicago Electric rotary. You really should get this rotary. Its inexpensive and I have never had a problem with mine. The PC is an awesome machine as you know, but does not generate the heat a rotary does. The sanding situation I had on the Impala would not come out with a pc. I had to use the rotary with a wool pad. It generated the heat I needed to level the paint to remove the scratched. Get with me and we`ll go together and work with a bit.
    2005 Cummins 4x4 6sp

2002 4.7 WJ

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t had any problems with mine bogging down. It does not have a hair trigger, but it does have a trigger lock, which I like. I am telling you for 25-30 bucks you can`t beat it.
    Scott
    Owner
    Gentle Touch Mobile Auto Detailing
    New Orleans

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Makita rotary. I really like it. I had it before I started detailing vehicles but I got a DeWalt RO shortly after.

I love both tools.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Neighbor gave me a spare door to play with today so I`m gonna bust out the rotary for the first time this weekend : D

Post Thanks / Like
    southern Z71, i`m on the northshore. i`d be game for a little "rotary tutorial" with all the NOLA autopians. haven`t had a chance to use my chicago elec. since i just got it yesterday.
    01 Supercharged Nissan Frontier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information