Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this thread on DC and was informed by a DC member that I should post this thread over here. I realize that there are probably more hand only detailers on this forum, and probably the most famous hand only detailer around... Scottwax

Keep in mind I am not attacking hand only detailers, but I am wondering what is some of the advantages of being a "hand only" detailer. Here is a copy of the thread...

Professional Hand Detailers...

I have been detailing professionally since 2001, and I have experienced some incredible cars that have made me drool, and I have also detailed some SUV`s and mini vans that have looked and smelled bad enough to "make a billgoat puke" (thanks Rambo).

PAINT...MOST OLDER CARS both clearcoated and singlestage require extensive WORK !!! And I mean work with the rotary after claying to bring most finishes back to as close to factory new as possible. I have tendonitis in my left forearm to prove it !!!

Now, here is my question ??? How does a hand detailer achieve the same results as a detailer that utilizes a machine to correct paint imperfections !!! How about earning a respectible dollar !!! I am in very good condition physically for my age (34) and I could not dream of hand detailing a finish that is more than 5 years old !!! If I were to detail the black 1994 E320 I detailed this week by hand it would have taken me 4X as long and I do not believe I would have achieved the same results.

I am not looking to blast hand detailers, but I cannot understand why one would not use a machine that is in my opinion more efficient and effective than anything that is done by hand. So...

Hand detailers please explain !!!

Thanks !!!

"Like New Autos"

www.likenewautos.net

Howell, NJ
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Not even Scottwax is all-hands anymore. Not sure why he did remain so for that long though. His results were beyond amazing by hand, but I can`t even begin to imagine the effort needed to achieve them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hand is not that difficult and you can get some awesome results too but there comes a time when only a rotary etc will restore badly neglected paint. I`m of the belief though that you should only use a machine when absolutely neccessary. My car at six years of age, looks 10 X better than when my former teacher machine buffed it four years ago. using a rotary to cut and SMR is fine but I will probably never machine polish. A four to seven step hand paint restoration, especially with a layered will achieve drooling effects on some paints.

Buffing may be quicker although not that much in my case but what about all the masking you have to do prior to starting the machine work. I HATE THAT

hand paint protection would have really sucked back during the circular motion days but with today`s method, the time required is cut down quite alot

Nothing against a buffer but I do love doing it by hand unless it`s a 20 year car or very oxidised paintjob. There are some things that hand will never be able to do.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    But I use a PC and I would say the thing is hardly aggressive. The only difference is it doesn`t tire and begin to cheat like one`s hands would. If it`s on a pro level, I just find it hard to justify sweating it out when you could bring out a PC .(I still find myself sweating with that thing, but noy tiring) Now a rotary, that you bring out when you know it is going to take just too many passes with a PC. But, hey I`m not a pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some paints out there that you just can`t work by hand. Period; they`re too hard. Even a PC won`t do it- you need the heat/friction of a rotary. It`s not just about time/effort, there are things that you need certain tools to do.

Back when paints were softer it was a different story, but SS white enamel isn`t something you can work by hand either.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Short term the machine is not quicker but you could do more vehicles per day with it (which should equate to improved income) mobile detailing may be another question if you don’t have a generator. As for paint detailing * I * don’t think a hand applied polish would remove medium and on imperfections especially on white paint or newer model ‘hard paint’ Corvettes for instance.

Two qualifiers, 1 I’m not a professional detailer 2 I’m too old to expend that much energy even if I had it anymore.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do everything by hand, and I get great results. Then again, I`m only 15, so I have the energy to do it.
    Parents: 2000 Buick Regal GSX.1997 Chevrolet Blazer LT,2003 Infiniti FX45, 21` Bayliner Cruiser

Me: I own a bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the "by hand thing" for a while. My results were very good. However with a PC I can achieve the same results with less effort.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by uflraptor

I did the "by hand thing" for a while. My results were very good. However with a PC I can achieve the same results with less effort.

Shawn

I agree 100% :up
    2000 Grand Prix GT

Champaigne Beige Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the PC is certainly a great tool.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by uflraptor

Shawn

My thinking exactly, and I agree. However, I use the Cyclo instead of the PC.
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did it for so long it was second nature. It also helped that after detailing by hand so long, I learned ways to make it work better, like using folded terry cloth towels instead of foam pads. I also stuck with Meguiars BSP line since they have buffered and diminishing abrasives so it was easy to figure out when I had worked the product long enough.

When I first started, both the single stage and clear coat paint jobs weren`t very hard (early 90s) but some of the newer paints are a lot harder and once I had a customer purchase a new Mercedes S500 with the PPG CeramiClear paint, I broke down and got a PC. Probably get a rotary or Cyclo next.

I`ll tell you one thing...my older son can out bench me, but I can still kill him in arm wrestling!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Scottwax, I also do everything on a car by hand. I get more referrals that way. Customer are amazed by the quality doing it by hand. I am 48 years old and can out work most kids under the table. I hired three kids (18 - 20 years old) this summer and only one is left. The kids say it is too hard and too hot. The kid I have left is great in the morning, but slows down a lot in the afternoon. He wonders how I handle the heat in Texas.

I do own a pc and a rotary which I use a lot on boats. So for the young kids out there - learn from the old guys which can really show you some tricks long forgotten!

Thread Information