Post Thanks / Like
    Hello everyone,

I own a Dewalt #849 with a 7 1/2 velcro backing plate and a PC #7424. My PC has a 6" backing plate and a 6" counterweight. I recently bought some 8" hook & loop Lake County pad`s for my rotory, These pad`s are 7 1/2 inside, I bought this set-up from Top Of The Line...They told me this is what the Dewalt call`s for. I think the pad`s are labeled wrong..The pad`s seem to be real close to the outside edge on the backing plate which scares me. I thought that the backing plate should fit inside of the pad.. Am i wrong thinking this way?? Can i use these pad`s with my PC?? I also have meg`s 8" pads which are much better for the rotary`s backing plate.... Has anyone tried this and what are the +/- of doing this??

Thanks,

Sellncars

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia sellncars

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Q: My PC has a 6" backing plate and a 6" counterweight. I recently bought some 8" hook & loop Lake County pad`s for my rotary, These pad`s are 7 1/2 inside, I bought this set-up from Top Of The Line...They told me this is what the Dewalt call`s for. I think the pads are labelled wrong. The pads seem to be real close to the outside edge on the backing plate, which scares me. I thought that the backing plate should fit inside of the pad. Am I wrong thinking this way??

A: Always use a smaller sized Velcro backing plate then the Velcro foam pad you are using (i.e. a 6-inch Velcro backing plate and a 6.5-inch Velcro foam pad) Never use a Velcro backing plate that is larger then the Velcro backed foam pad. A 5-inch diameter backing plate when used with a 6.5 -inch foam pad allows a 0.75-inch ‘safety’ margin’ between the edge of the backing plate and the foam pad. To ensure compatibility of fit with a Porter-Cable the post adaptor should be a 5/16th-inch-24 threaded shaft.

Q: Can I use these pads with my PC??

A: I think 8-inch pads may be too much for the PC motor to run without stalling under applied pressure

Q: I also have meg`s 8" pads, which are much better for the rotary`s backing plate.... Has anyone tried this and what is the +/- of doing this??

A: I only use a 6.6-inch pad with my HS Rotary so I’m not the one to ask as to experience.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem using the same pads with my Mikta. It was like I had to force the pad on the backing plate to fit. Not Good. Fits fine with my 6" backing pad for my PC DA. Switched to the Meguiars 8" (W4000,8000,9000) and 3M line up for my high speed and no problems. They fit perfect.:xyxthumbs

Thread Information