Post Thanks / Like
    Hiring Summer Help?

Hey all,

I operate a fixed location detail shop in Kentucky...and since it has started to get warm...business is really picking up.

Here is what I am thinking........

I do "pickup and delivery", and I am thinking that if I hire someone I could pick the car up before my hired help gets here of a morning and they could start on the car first thing...I could then help them get started...then I could go pickup another car while they are finishing up on the first one...then when I get back with the other car...they can start on it while I return the car they were working on....this way I don`t have any lost time in between picking up and delivering.

Therefore, I am thinking about hiring summer help.

Anyone know how I should go about this...and also what should I pay someone.

The person I hire would need to know a little about detailing, have a sense of what really goes into detailing a vehicle, and also be able to work by themselves...because I do not want to have to stand over them and tell them what to do.

I would be able to help them a little in between vehicles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Red Truck

Hiring Summer Help?

Hey all,

I operate a fixed location detail shop in Kentucky...and since it has started to get warm...business is really picking up.

Here is what I am thinking........

I do "pickup and delivery", and I am thinking that if I hire someone I could pick the car up before my hired help gets here of a morning and they could start on the car first thing...I could then help them get started...then I could go pickup another car while they are finishing up on the first one...then when I get back with the other car...they can start on it while I return the car they were working on....this way I don`t have any lost time in between picking up and delivering.

Therefore, I am thinking about hiring summer help.

Anyone know how I should go about this...and also what should I pay someone.

The person I hire would need to know a little about detailing, have a sense of what really goes into detailing a vehicle, and also be able to work by themselves...because I do not want to have to stand over them and tell them what to do.

I would be able to help them a little in between vehicles.

Any help would be appreciated.

The best place to look is a local car board if you can find one. Mike found me on Autopia AND a local Buffalo car board, and there are other`s on the board that do have experience in detail work, and if not it wouldn`t take much to train them a little. I still haven`t touched the rotary yet, I don`t trust myself on a customers car. I still ask quite a bit of questions. I think I`m getting better. :nixweiss And quicker too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think that we have a local car board around here...are there other places that I could look?

I am willing to pay $10 per hour for help...does that sound reasonable?
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Red Truck

I don`t think that we have a local car board around here...are there other places that I could look?

I am willing to pay $10 per hour for help...does that sound reasonable?

I honestly don`t know then. Maybe you could find somebody that you can trust, train them, and pay them a little lower. You can train somebody how to detail, but you can`t train them to be responsible and hard working.

$10 an hour is very reasonable.

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends who you want to do the job. If you want a high school or college kid home for the summer, $10 a hour is fantastic. It you want an adult, well then i dont know.

Thread Information