Post Thanks / Like
    I just traded a Maxima for a 04 Dodge Durango, and decided that there`s no way I`m going to tackle wash/detail work with this new vehicle until I get out of an apartment and into a house. I was very particular with the Maxima, and was a part of the Zaino cult.

Anyway, I`ve had two different mobile detailers work on the Durango, and neither did that great of a job. Either the wheels still had dirt, or there were water spots, or they didn`t wipe out the door jambs, etc. etc. I always end up doing "touch up" after I pay for everything.

Am I being too picky? I`m in W. Palm Beach, and can`t seem to find a detailer that truly treats a vehicle like his own around here. The last wash and vacuum was $40, so I know I`m not hiring the cheapest folks to do the work either. I appreciate your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    For $40 I would say you`re not being picky. But, it also depends on what the detailing company said what was included with the service. If door jambs is included, I wouldn`t let them leave until they were done, and the same goes for other parts of the service. As far as water spots is concerned, I am pretty sure the Florida hot sun plays a part, but any sensible "professional" detailer would seek shade, create shade (tent), or if none of that is possible and it is just a "car wash type service", would use a spray wax, QD, water softener, etc. to prevent and/or remove water spots.:up

P.S.

Now that I think about it, for $40, I hope door jambs and more was included!
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    NO you are not being too picky. A full detail should result in a water spotless fully cleaned and protected vehicle. Have you confronted the detailers about your dissatisfaction? Sometimes people make mistakes (not me ) but it is how they rectify them is what really matters, IMO. I would call him and see what happens

Eric

*or try to find an autopian near you*
    If winners never quit, and quitters never win, then people who never quit and never win are just plain idiots :lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. I`m glad to know I`m not expecting too much. They`ll wipe the door jambs, but leave dirt on the bottom of the inside of the doors. Things like this can`t be missed on a huge vehicle like this - they`re very obvious, at least to me. I also worry when they have never heard of most of the products mentioned and used by the pros on this forum, but that`s a whole other post.

Anyway, does anyone know of a completely anal retentive, obsessive compulsive detailer in the W. Palm Beach, FL area? I have no problem with paying $40 or more for a simple wash/vacuum/dust, but for that price I expect it to look as good as it would if I did it (perfect! ).

I want the kind of detailer that goes insane and tries to take my keys from me if I use a gas station car wash.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    you should be so lucky. I was quoted a price for a full detail inside and out with some scratch and swirl removal @ $250.+ and I feel that was a fair price for the job.

$40 and not having the door jams at least wiped down I`d have a "ka-nip-shun fit"

Black Dodge

Dakota Club cab

with a hard Tonneau Cover.
    Beercan

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    $40 is not a FULL detail for any car. It is a wash. A good wash, but still just a wash.

If you`re looking for a good detailer in the Palm Beach area, I`d call the folks ( Terry Freiberg) at Classic Motoring Accessories, Autogeek.com ...

I`m currently (re)doing an `00 MB S500 (black) from Palm Beach County. Left rear quarter was poorly refinished, with what we refer to as a "Guatamalan" swirl installation. Plenty of hackers in the WPB area.

Look for good advice.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I use to own a DURANGO.I had it for 3 years.ITS BIG and there is a lot of paint to maintain.It drives like a truck( I dont know about the new ones)With all the detailing places on MILITARY you cant find a DETAIL PLACE?Go for a ride and TRY BOCA RATON(FEDERAL HWY) about 3-5 good places down there and its only 20 minutes away.$40 dollars for all that was a good price.You are not being picky but the next time you go to a place say this is what I want done .............don`t be shy its your money

Post Thanks / Like
    As for the products mentioned on this site.. I wouldn`t stress too much about that one. There are a lot of good products out there.

It`s more about knowing how to use Product X properly than what Product X is. Plus, they may have found something that we haven`t :-)

95% technique / 5% product.

If you`re not happy about the attention to detail, then call them on it.

If they are doing a good wash in that they are not introducing swirls etc, they are probably a good detailer. It`s just a matter of letting them know that the little things matter to you. They may end up charging you an additional $5 or something, but at least the end results is much more satisfying.

To be honest, I would never have heard of Poorboy, Clearkote, 1Z, Klasse etc. had it not been for Autopia.

3M and Meguiar`s would be the only products I would have been aware of ... Which isn`t necessarily a bad thing.

Experimenting is $$$$

These more exotic brands discussed here are more for the hobbiest or pro who is looking for something to provide excellent results .. if they can cut down 1hr in the detailing time, that`s an hour earlier they can be home or onto another job.

It`s more a fun factor for the most part ...
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great response Paco.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 15951

I just traded a Maxima for a 04 Dodge Durango, and decided that there`s no way I`m going to tackle wash/detail work with this new vehicle until I get out of an apartment and into a house. I was very particular with the Maxima, and was a part of the Zaino cult.

Anyway, I`ve had two different mobile detailers work on the Durango, and neither did that great of a job. Either the wheels still had dirt, or there were water spots, or they didn`t wipe out the door jambs, etc. etc. I always end up doing "touch up" after I pay for everything.

Am I being too picky? I`m in W. Palm Beach, and can`t seem to find a detailer that truly treats a vehicle like his own around here. The last wash and vacuum was $40, so I know I`m not hiring the cheapest folks to do the work either. I appreciate your input.

You have a PM.

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are paying $40 for a wash/vac and tire dressing, the door jams and rear door hatch jams should all be cleaned. It should be automatic for any good detailer.

Honestly, that is my pet peeve with cars I clean for the first time. The door, trunk or rear hatch jams are always incredibly nasty. I don`t know how even a regular conveyer type car wash can miss those....but they do.

Keep shopping around, find a detailer you like and stick with them. It does pay off. My regulars always get a little more (like spot cleaning mats, polishing off minor paint transfers) for their wash money. My benefit is a loyal customer who not only will tip well at Christmas (and often weekly as well) but will pass my name around. Best advertising there is!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Ft. Lauderdale and I know exactly how you feel. After trying a few detailers and never being satisfied I decided to start doing it my self. I also thought I was being to picky but realize I just wanted the job done right.

Even after I spoke to them about what I wanted or what they did wrong, it seemed to make no difference.

Most independents down here work like there on a production line, and dont typically care about the results as much as getting done. There the type that go from one office building to the next and detail as many cars as can no matter what the end results are. Its the darkside of the business I suppose.

I feel for you and i will definitely Pm you If I hear of someone exceptional and dont give up looking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad you wernt from Boston, I`d be more than happy to do a complete job like you described for 40.00.

Thread Information