Post Thanks / Like
    if they havent burned the paint/clearcoat can you remove the light marring or swirls you get with a rotory with a pc. For instance if i detail lets say a black truck with a rotory very slowly. if theres "light" swirls/marring can they be removed with a PC and polishing pad with any smr w/no fillers.. this is just an example so please dont advise me not to do it.... thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, if they aren`t too bad, you can remove them.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks that was fast

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, it`s sorta a "standard" way of dealing with them. Note that Mike Phillips (who sure knows how to use a rotary) usually follows up his DACP/rotary work with DACP/PC, in part to make sure he doesn`t have any holograms. You can`t always pull the vehicle out into the sun to check for them, so it`s a good way to cover your bases. I do sorta the same thing, using something with a little cut with the PC/Cyclo after my rotary work.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah i have a dewalt 849 but never use it only once n a while but i enjoy detailing and would like to get myself to that point to where i dont have to compete with anyother detailers in this area who can say "hey i have a pc and i can detail cars too" not knowing anything about process. in other words ive assisted people who need help regarding using a pc but i feel im ready for the rotory and it also gives me the upper hand if i can master it with time

Post Thanks / Like
    The swirls are just extremely fine scratches in the paint. You`ll be able to remove them with a PC. If you put them in the paint with a rotary using a finishing polish, then they should be really easy to remove. I`ve removed swirls with a RO that were from a rotary used with a compound and cutting pad.

You`ll know when you burn paint with a rotary... because that paint disappears fast. I did it once. Paint was there, paint was gone... Just got too agressive. Live and learn though.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m very happy I`ll have access to a scrap part to let my rotary go wild on. I plan to practice so much on it until either all the paint is burned away or it is entirely flawless
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    It took me about half-a-dozen cars to be become pretty confident with a rotary. Now if I get a dealer car or personal car with swirls and surface contaminants, I will use the rotary with DACP and 3M cutting pad and go to town. Usually with dealer cars I just go straight to NXT with my cyclo afterwards and it`s a done deal. Unless there black. Then you have to use DACP with cyclo before wax or there`s holograms, but I`m getting better every time.
    If it don`t shine, it ain`t mine!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve taken out rotary holograms by hand using DACP, so no problem with a PC.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I use always 3M fast cut rubbing compound with a rotary and yellow cutting pad at 800 rpm and NO holograms/marring are left.

Then I follow with 3M SMR, white polishing pad and 1000 rpm to get more clarity and reflecĂ‚ˇsivity.

I have used other compounds with the same precedure and those undesirable holograms come up. Later on can be removed easyly.

I donĂ‚´t understand why... but this 3M fast cut rubbing compound work perfect IMHO.
    Enjoy life!! and your car

Thread Information