Post Thanks / Like
    This is the first car I will be using a buffer on (PC). Because of this i didn`t charge a ton.

Here is what I`m doing

interior full job, its fairly clean already

wash

polish

wax

windows, tires

charged $70.

First car I`ve done professionally, and I live in tucson, az which is right by Mexico and our economy is really bad, keep that in mind. Everyone here makes minimum wage at places like taco bell etc.. whereas in phoenix they make a few bucks more an hour.

lmk what you think

Post Thanks / Like
    is this the first time have ever used the buffer? or its it the first time you ahve used it on a customer car?? Personally i charge around $150 - $200 for the full interior and exterior detail (but i have more steps)

Post Thanks / Like
    This is basically a wash and wax job with some interior cleaning. As long as you are not scrubbing carpets and seats and doing multiple stages of polishing, the price isn`t bad. Serious work requires high prices, same with large vehicles. But for average work in that area I think you`re fine. I`d like to see you raise prices once you get a little more established.

How long do you think this will take? Have you figured out what your costs will be (supplies, tools, transporation, etc)?
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on your services and your state, your prices seem fine to me.:up
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    Pricing seems a little on the low side, but you know your local economy better than I do. But, a couple of questions: 1) what kind of car is it? 2) is it a PC7424 (random orbital) you`re using, or a PC7428 (rotary buffer)?

And also, have you price-checked any of the other locals? One thing that is critical is to `sell` the benefits of what you`re doing to the car owner. Being the low-cost leader is ok if you`re Wal-Mart, but bad if you`re going it alone in the rough-and-tumble world of detailing!

Post Thanks / Like
    using a pc7424, ive used it many times (probably 6 or 7 cars) just never professionally.

its a toyota midsize sedan

I could not find any people in my area who did detailing besides some local car washes. Have to research mroe.

The person lives in my apartment complex so no transportation costs.

Product costs shouldnt be too bad.

I will be scrubbing the carpets but not the seats with my carpet scrubbing attachment for my PC and some carpet cleaner.

Once I am more established I plan on charging about $90 for this.

I figure it will take me 4 hours. Not sure 100% on that though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, $70/4 hours is $17.50 an hour, which is a good starting point. Midsize sedan probably shouldn`t take much more than 4 hours, and once you get proficient, you may be able to shave 30 minutes off.

I think I`d see what the car washes are charging. They`re not the absolute best barometer of the local market, but you know that you`ll do better work than they will. So if they are charging more than $90 for the same service, you`re in luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by spetulla

The person lives in my apartment complex so no transportation costs.

spetulla,

That is exactly how I got started in my own detailing business back in 1986.

My neighbor had noticed how I kept my own cars and figured I could also do a good job with his car. At the time I really didn`t even think about charging him. He really liked my work and that is when I realized that I could do this as a business.

Anywho, at this point it is all about getting some experience. You will have plenty of time to set-up your pricing.

p.s. - Even now I still do a few of my neighbors cars for free. I don`t volunteer my detailing services, but if they ask I will gladly do their car.

Post Thanks / Like
    that`s how I see it, I like your outlook

Post Thanks / Like
    $70 for Tucson is big bucks

You better start early or your gonna miss the UCLA game.

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ve never watched a u of a game

got a new shop vac today, $40 for a 2.5 gallon at home depot, real nice unit i like it.

Thread Information