do you guys think the durability of this process

wash

smr if necessary

aio

polish

glaze

wax

sealant

how ever you want to do it does any one think the durability of the final product should last lets say 3 months. i know there are sealants that claim to last at least 6 months like klasse SG. i know surface prepping has a lot to do with the out come of the vehicle.

my point is most detailers/shops charge xtra for claying, well most sealants or waxes should las approx 3months right?

so does that mean claying the car it should last longer........i dont know.

i dont see how business`s can charge 150-175 for a full detail and not clay, i see this as a decision based on the company but if i am to detail a car more than likely im going to lead the customer in to getting it clayed my assumption is that the product durability should last a bit longer as opposed to not being clayed

i didnt mention any name on the product listing up above to prevent flamming or competition between products, if you`d like to mention some that would be great.

if i am in correct on any information please let me know.

thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    You clay only when necessary. My base prices do not include claying, it is an extra charge option (pretty easy to sell though). You would need to use the sealant prior to waxing.

I am not aware of any testing that specifically shows that claying improves wax/sealant durability, although removing contaminents from paint should have a positive effect since the sealant/wax will have a smoother surface to adhere to.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think there is a direct correlation between claying and product durability. Variables like weather, wash methods and frequency, parking locations, etc., have much more impact on durability that whether or not claying was part of the detail process.

Most detailers charge extra for claying because its a profitable option and is labor intensive. I don`t clay every car I detail but I don`t charge extra for it either. Every detailer decides for themselves how they want to package their services.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bretfraz

Most detailers charge extra for claying because its a profitable option and is labor intensive. I don`t clay every car I detail but I don`t charge extra for it either. Every detailer decides for themselves how they want to package their services.

The fact that claying is not always necessary is why I charge extra for it. Usually it takes less than 30 minutes to clay the horizontal surfaces (normally all that needs to be done), so I charge $15 for cars and $20-25 for larger vehicles.

Obviously, heavy paint overspray removal is something you should definitely charge for, even if you normally clay as part of your regular detailing packages.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    im thinking that i should clay as part of a basic routing cause i dont mind doing it, however i have done a car and it came out great not claying it but personally i dont feel at that time that it looks as good as it can... of course we always try to get the most for our work, it seems like our work is never done im always looking for more POP. i think claying gives that, for some reason i dont feel right taking the money if i dont think ive accomplished my goal in detailing a vehicle..... what to do what to do

Post Thanks / Like
    Claying is not always necessary. Why waste time doing something you don`t have to do? If the paint is already glass slick, claying is not needed.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

Claying is not always necessary. Why waste time doing something you don`t have to do? If the paint is already glass slick, claying is not needed.

Absolutely.
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    that only applies to professional detailers who get the business of people with luxury cars... i mostly do soccer moms and grandmothers..... i mean their cars which are treated like crap. i dont havent had the chance to get a highend luxury.

imo i think its more of a challenge to detail an older car/van and make it look new as opposed to work on a 04` ferrari and make it look glossy..

i am not trying to start any flames against any ones details... i love this discussion but i guess when starting out you must start from the bottom

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 6`][`9

that only applies to professional detailers who get the business of people with luxury cars... i mostly do soccer moms and grandmothers..... i mean their cars which are treated like crap. i dont havent had the chance to get a highend luxury.

imo i think its more of a challenge to detail an older car/van and make it look new as opposed to work on a 04` ferrari and make it look glossy..

i am not trying to start any flames against any ones details... i love this discussion but i guess when starting out you must start from the bottom

Just because a car might not be well taken care of still doesn`t mean it automatically needs to be clayed. When I detailed that horribly oxidized white Taurus (pics in my autopia and photohost galleries), once I had compounded and polished it, the paint was glass smooth. No need to clay when the paint is glass smooth, no matter how new, old, cheap or expensive the vehicle is.

You want to always do the best job you can, but time is money and you shouldn`t waste it unnecessarily.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    wash

smr if necessary

aio

sealant

wax if you really want to.
    B&W Speakers, Transparent cables, Classe amps coming soon

Thread Information