Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Effort Pa/Stroudsburg Area just over the NJ border.
    Post Thanks / Like
    It just really offends me on how no one believes in me, but myself. Im basically venting here, but my parents think that detailing cars is not a good idea. My dad comes out and says stuff like "Who in there right mind would pay over 100 dollars to get a car cleaned". My mom just kinda responds by nooding her head,but really thinks that i cant make any money off doing it either.

Im going to college to get my BA degree in criminal justcie, i already have a Associates degree and they feel i should become a cop already. Im only 22, and im not really ready to become a cop on how ironic that might sound. I rather just finish my degree first and then do that. For now detail while ill attend college i see nothing wrong with that. They just say, detailing cannot bring in money. Since i moved to PA, i make just about 12k a year after taxes working full time doing lost prevention for a store.

I am hoping to be able to detail during my off months of college and make enough during the season so i can attend college full time. I am going to detail end of march-october so it will only be like a month or so of work while i attend college.

As of now, i can only attend 2 classes since im bombarded with bills and the pay scale is crap compared to jersey. I spent alot since working in jeresy i made alot more. My bills are just about all paid off and i have more in the bank then i ever had. I feel this is the best time ever, where i dont have the pressure of big montly bills anymore. Car is paid off just about, so all i have is insurance, cell phone and minor bills.

It just really annoys me on how they just dont believe in me in anything till I accomplish it. My dad has the worst negaitive attitude i have ever seen on a person. Like it cant be done, or it cant be fixed, or it cant be that easy, cup is half empty sort of crap. I feel like my mom is trying to help somewhat, but is just being nice and doesnt believe in my idea.

I dont want to cause any more conflicts, but I always think of people who been shut down and believed in something and accomplished it. For example Bill Gates: He was turned away, shutdown, not belived in,but look at him now. Jay Z. His songs got rejected by numerous people, but still stuck with it. Now he is the owner of a clothing line as well and a multimillion dollar business man.

Maybe im just talking alot of junk here, but I believe if you dedicate yourself to something you truly want to do, and truly want to accomplish the money will follow. It just sucks not having that person for encourgement, or to push me to the next level. That is how come im lucky to have you guys here at the board. Posting pics, writing articles and other ideas which keeps me motivated. I will never say something is not possible or cannot be done until I try it myself. I have always been like that, and I will never change I cant I assume. If I ever fail, I always gained something out of it that I didnt have before.

They some what motivate me more at times by saying I cant accomplish this job, it pushes me to prove them wrong. It is not even like im asking to make much during the 7 month season of detailing i would do. My top goal would be 12k ,that would be more then enough money for my lifestyle, but if I can make like 8k that would be fine with me to. I dont think they think i can make anywhere near that. I told them that some people who own business already make over 100k a year detailing cars. They think that is a total lie and is bizzare and can never happen. Whatever i dont know, but whatever they say im still going for it. If I fail, I fail, but at least I know I

gave it my all.

I never bring up some of the dreams I have or I know they will just laugh and think im nuts. I love detailing and I believe mobile detailing is a low rish investment business. If I was ever to make more money off it, I always wanted to open up another business. A internet coffee shop I dreamed of opening and would love it. I know you guys must think, but wait he wants to become a cop. I guess I want to do to much, but to me business is very very risky. Most cops I know actually have other jobs on the side. One owns his own landscaping company and he is a state trooper. But i wouldnt dare tell my parents of the coffee shop because that entails alot of money for startup. Maybe one day all my dreams will come tru, if not at least I made a effort towards that dream..

When I talked to people detailing cars making like 6 dollars an hour, they said they liked doing it. I said " why dont you open your own business? 9 out of 10 said " I couldnt ever do that". I have never ever ever said that to myself, and I dont beleive that. We live in America the place of the best oppurtunity. I always say, in this country you can do what you want and be who you want to be, if you REALLY want it.

I say this for this one reason. Everythign I have ever wanted I got doing it myself. At only 22, I have gotten everything I wante from a 2000 dollar custom made bmx bike, to a 25 dollar invested show truck. I got it because of my hard work and determination.

Post Thanks / Like
    you`re not alone. i`ve been in business 10 years now and my family and friends still have no respect for me or my business. apparently it`s just something i do and make money doing it. as long as you believe you can do it - you can! don`t EVER let anyone tell you otherwise!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dood, this is like the third time you`ve posted something like this. There is no substitute for doing it. Stop writing about it and do it.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Get used to it my friend. The typical person on the street has a very low opinion of detailing and to be perfectly honest a lot of detailers bring it on themselves. You can make a very good living doing this but need to treat it like any other profession and be just that - professional about it. You need to be educated in all aspects of running a business and be a better detailer than all the other knuckleheads that decide to pick up a vacuum and wash pail and become a "detailer". Don`t let anyone tell you that you can`t do it because if you want it bad enough and you have the ability and persistance you will eventually succeed. Keep your head up and work hard buddy. Nothing feels better than proving people wrong that underestimate what you can accomplish with a strong work ethic and a positive attitude.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys,and sorry Mosco bro i guess they just keep hitting me with the negative comments and need u guys to help me back up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve grown to ignore others at all costs.....my parents never thought much of it until they saw the results I did on a quick(1hour and 45 minutes) wash/wax/vacuum with NXT today on their Jeep cause they were trading it. The thing looked great.....that`s when they stop complaining about me constantly washing my car and appreciate my work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got alot of slack from my parents when I first started my business, and one year later.....................

That is a very common thing with entrepreneurship.....no body believes you are going to either do it or make it......mainly because they are afraid, skeptical, and un-educated on starting and running a business.

Bottom line, if you caught the entrepreneur bug, you are willing to commit to being a first class detailer who doesn`t slack and don`t care strictly about money but more about quality, you are willing to take your business seriously (License, taxes, insurance, organization, learning new detailing techniques and products, etc.), you are willing to sacrifice, you are aware that you may fail - of course you don`t give up, and you are willing to put some green into your business to get it going...even if you are not making returns, then I would stop worrying and go make it happen.:xyxthumbs
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ShineShop

Get used to it my friend. The typical person on the street has a very low opinion of detailing and to be perfectly honest a lot of detailers bring it on themselves. You can make a very good living doing this but need to treat it like any other profession and be just that - professional about it. You need to be educated in all aspects of running a business and be a better detailer than all the other knuckleheads that decide to pick up a vacuum and wash pail and become a "detailer". Don`t let anyone tell you that you can`t do it because if you want it bad enough and you have the ability and persistance you will eventually succeed. Keep your head up and work hard buddy. Nothing feels better than proving people wrong that underestimate what you can accomplish with a strong work ethic and a positive attitude.

Agree 100%. The vast majority of people think I just slap some Armor All on the inside and wax on the outside and "how hard can that be?". My parents were really dubious that I could make a go of detailing and figured I should just stay in restaurant management...but working for Denny`s pretty much killed that (they have a horrible reputation and very few other restaurants want to take a chance on someone who has managed at Denny`s). Anyway, I knew I could do it. I had to work part time for about a year as a waiter at nights, but in 18 months, I had equaled what I was making at Denny`s and the following year I was 33% up over the most I had made as either a Denny`s or Jack in the Box manager.

You just have to believe in yourself and at this stage, marketing your business needs to be a full time job. Every chance you get, you need to let people know about you and why they should pay you to keep their cars cleaned. Read up on detailing procedures and products when you have time. The more you know the detailing end the better.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quamen: I only have one advice... There are basically two types of people that you can go for support... The ones that pushes you up, and those who pulls you down... If you keep on going back to listening to people who pulls you down, this cycle of grief (about not having your family supporting your ideas) will never end.

All self starting jobs that seems "lowly" such as car washing, plumbing, etc are being frown upon by people who thinks their job is more superior than yours... Maybe so, but who builds their houses, changes their oil, etc etc???

You`re doing this not just because you like it, it`s also a business, meaning, you saw a need in the market and you`re supplying it. Heck i`d sweep the streets if I think it`s profitable...

Side note: Man, if you only knew how much money there is in trash collection... You`ll love garbage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man did you ever hit the nail on the head. I have a good friend who unfortunately has a very high opinion of himself and his Masters degree in applied mathematics. I remember him badmouthing what I was doing for a living by saying that "any meathead can do what you do". He was so embarrassed when he found out later that I make almost double what he takes home in a year. Detailing is just like any other business and if done right you can make a lot of money. I have a customer with a plumbing company that started out as a one man operation unplugging toilets in the 1940`s and now he`s a multi-millionaire. Not bad for a guy who fixes pipes huh? Unfortunately, perception is reality and people these days place more creedence in having a nice respectable office job than anything where you have to get your hands dirty. However, the less people who want to work in these trades, the more money you can make doing it because there are less and less people that can do the work. The average age of a skilled bricklayer/mason in Canada is 58 right now. In 15 years can you imagine what these guys will be able to charge because there will be only half as many guys doing it unless a huge influx of people enter the trade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Self Employed Detailers are no different then any other self employed professional. They are entrepreneurs that see an opportunity and take the risk. Not everyone has the stomach for such ventures. Be proud of your profession and the service you provide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow thanks guys for all the positive comments and ideas. Yes im so excited because believe it or not, I have been actually planning this for a coulple years now. Just with the move, money problems and what have no, I want able to do it. Now im finally there and have to get the ball rolling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go scratch the Hell out fo your dad`s car and then tell him you can get the scratches out for him for $300. :lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you still live with your parents?...........I would sumise that at $12k a year, your parents or someone else supplements your income so you can get by. Be it a roof, food, what ever. I don`t know your situation all that well and in fact I`m not that much older, but if still living at home and if the parents are still footing some of the bill....can you not empathize with them in certain respects. I know many self sufficient individuals younger than you and I and so long as the folks have a portion of the `bill` per say, they have a right to an opinion on what should be done. That`s not to say you should tell your parents to piss off, but you`ve got to understand that they`ve more than likely made sacrifices (i.e. stuff they wanted to do but didn`t) on your behalf.

Take the leap and grow the wings on the way down.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote:

~One mans opinion / observation~

You’ve got to believe in you (stating the obvious) but that life.

I have (this is not self edification) a PhD in Architectural Engineering and an MBA, one of my many successful business ventures is an architectural practice and one is detailing part time. Point is I make almost as much (hour for hour) at either (I’m blessed because I enjoy doing both equally) When I first started out many said, “you’re going to take time away from being an architect to wash cars?†and now those same people pay me good money not only to design/build their homes, but also to ‘wash’ their classic cars.

Starting out you’ll probably only make ‘beans’ but if you believe in it and love it (most important) you’ll succeed. You’ll be in a position one day to say, “See I told you I couldâ€, until then â€â€..

I wish you success in whatever venture you choose.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information