Post Thanks / Like
    I am just curious to know how many out there use the Cyclo Polisher. And please share your reason(s) for using it or not using it. :xyxthumbs
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed

I think Anthony Orosco is the resident Cyclo pro. Ask him for details. Hes a wealth of experience.

NozeBleed,

Thanks for the title of "Cyclo pro" (Checks in the mail)

foris,

I have been using the Cyclo for a good 7 or 8 years now and it is a great tool and if I had to choose between the PC and the Cyclo it would be the Cyclo hands down:up

The reasons being is that the Cyclo is more aggressive over the PC. What I mean by this is that the PC will bog down if used with pressure while the Cyclo has much more torque and keeps on oscillating even when pressure is applied.

It is more comfortable to use, especially over a long period of time, and is better balanced. The Cyclo, with the right pads, will even generate a small amount of heat on the paint which will allow the product to work much better.

Now if you are seeking to do paint correction, like minor scratches, removing oxidation and blemishes then you will first need a high speed rotary as the Cyclo will only remove light scratches/swirls and its main use is as an applicator for polishes and sealants.

Also makes a great tool, again with the right pads, to polish metal and aluminum. The big drawback to the Cyclo is the price. Compare the PC at $140 to the Cyclo at almost $300 and you se why the PC is so popular. If you have the money to throw down then you can`t go wrong with the Cyclo:xyxthumbs

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply NozeBleedSpeed. You were right, Anthony does seem to be the resident pro for the Cyclo Polisher.

Anthony, I did purchase the Cyclo Polisher Polisher Package, I got a good deal at Detail King - I the Cyclo Polisher, 2 White Finishing Pads, 2 Green Polishing Pads, 2 Yellow Cutting Pads, 2 Terry Bonnets, 2 Velcro pad holders, 2 Shampoo brushes, and the flat wrench to remove the polishing pads & to install the shampoo brushes. All for less the $270.00 (and that included shipping). It would have been about $300.00 but I got a little discount. I used it for the first time almost 2 weekends ago on my pastor`s Lexus 430 sedan. I shampooed the carpets with it and it did a fantastic job. I have got to order some more pads this week, so if you can think of any tips on its use it would be greatly appreciated. I was so excited about the job it did so a couple days after that I cleaned my bedroom carpet (don`t laugh). I will get the opportunity this weekend to use it on a full detail, possibly two.

Thanks again,

Foris
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Post Thanks / Like
    Foris,

That is a great deal!

As for "tips", well for one don`t cover the top or side air vents with your hands as you buff. Do this for too long and the unit can`t breath and leads to overheating.

Use an air compressor every few weeks to blow out all the crud that collects in those vents. I have had one Cyclo for a good number of years and if you care for it right it should last a lifetime.

The Cyclo itself is very easy to use and control BUT becareful of emblems and any objects the protrude out from the cars panels, like door handles and such.

Before you use new pads always wash them before using them. Let them soak in some hot soapy water and then rinse them, place them on your Cyclo for a quick spin dry and then INSPECT them for little black velcro fibers that always seem to weed themselves into the foam. If you ar eusing any of the bonnets (terry, wool) always use them over the foam pads and never as stand alone pads.

Lastly, only a tiny drop per pad is all that`s needed as too much product will clog up the pads and in general just be a waste of product. I have a few cars on my website that were done with just the Cyclo, I don`t know which ones off hand but I think the Porsche that`s on my home page was done with the Cyclo and finished by hand.

Happy Detailing,

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    foris2 - Do a search on "cyclo", you`ll find some interesting reading as Anthony and I have posted on them before.

I too have used a Cyclo for MANY years, the only time I prefer a PC is when dealing with styling curves that the Cyclo just doesn`t handle well (like the hood/fenders of classic Jag sedans, for instance).

I have one Cyclo that`s now nearly 20 years old. Used HARD, abused badly when used in a commercial setting. No maintenance, nothing (never even been lubed, my bad ). Still works like new.

As Anthony said, watch for velcro slubs on the pads...do the search for more on this, and for pad info in general. There are more options than might first occur to you!

You`ll REALLY like the Cyclo! It really is a whole different animal than the PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony,

Thanks for all of the tips. When I get my additional pads, I am going to keep each in a zip lock bag and label them polish, wax, sealant etc. because I want to use my pads for specific tasks. By doing this they won`t get contiminated with other product tasks. Do you think this is a good idea or do you feel it is a waste of time. I guess you could say I`m a neat freek and like to take good care of my equipment.

Thanks again,

Foris
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator,

Thanks for your input. I will definately do a search on the prior posts on the Cyclo.

Thanks,

Foris
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Post Thanks / Like
    foris,

Around here keeping your towels and pads seperate, labeled and in ziplock baggies is the norm

I have my towels in baggies and then in a larger trash bag and then inside a large zippered duffle bag! My pads are all washed with warm water and rinsed and then kept in seperate bags also.

Happy Detailing,

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Foris- You might oughta get a fine-point Sharpie to label the Cyclo pads themselves (on the outer edge) so there`s no way to get them mixed up.

And spinning the pads dry works better (safer) with the Cyclo than with the PC- the pads NEVER fly off. I have a plastic tub I use to catch the splatter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the Versa-Tool, which is a cheaper version of the cyclo and the housing is made of plastic instead of steel. It is a little lighter than the cyclo, but probably won`t have as long of lifecycle as the cyclo. I am absolutely ecstatic about the results achieved from this machine. It is excelent for polishing and buffing and is easier than a PC to get into tight spaces. And with the right pads, light compounding is easy since it doesnt sling chemical all over the place. The Versa-Tool costs about $50 less than the Cyclo from Rightlook.com, if I`m not mistaken. I would definitely recomend one to anyone if the cost can justify buying one.
    If it don`t shine, it ain`t mine!

Post Thanks / Like
    AdamJoe- Thanks for posting that. I`d always wondered whether the Versa-Tool was any good. Some people might want to try the Cyclo but be put off by the price. For them, the Versa-Tool could be a good alternative :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a Cyclo and love the thing. It`s easy to use and well balanced. You can also buy brushes for cleaning carpets and cloth seats with them. Really nice quality overall.

Thread Information