Thread: Leather Seats

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still very confused about all the different opinions about leather seats. Not to beat this topic to death, but which cars have actual leather seats and which ones have a coating and how do you tell for sure. I`ve heard that there is a manufacturer that has used suede instead of leather, what do you use to clean and condition this type of material? HELP!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: Leather Seats

~One man’s opinion / observations~

American and Japanese tend to use coated (it’s actually a spray applied product, quicker, and provides an even colour) European cars tend to utilize a natural leather (although some will use leather for ‘contact’ areas and vinyl for the rest. The best way to tell is to ask the manufacturer/dealership if it’s not obvious (usually the coated leather has a very ‘even’ colour to it).

Cleaning 6:1 Woolite water solution, every other month use a conditioner and a UV protectant.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    We use Woolite too in our shop... it`s the safest bet whether the leather seats are coated or not... if it needs more "ummph" then we use a little leather cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    As TOGWT said, most cars have coated or treated leather. The leather has a protective coating to minimize fading, staining, and overall wear and tear.

Some cars have untreated leather, sometimes called nappa. BMW M series, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Many Jaguars, etc. Obviously high end cars.

The easiest way to tell the diff is to sprinkle a few drops of water onto the leather and watch what happens. If the water gets absorbed into the leather and looks like a stain, its untreated. If the drops just sit there, the leather is treated.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great advice from these guys Finishing Touch.

:xyxthumbs

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Thread Information