Thread: 2001 Jetta

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a customer that wants her interior cleaned on a 2001 Jetta. She talked to the dealer and they mentioned it needed to be dry cleaned only. Has anyone ran across dry cleaning a car? This is the first time I have heard of dry cleaning a car. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    always do the exact opposite of what the VW dealer says and you`ll be golden ! :xyxthumbs
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Dealer`s sure are weird. I never heard of dry cleaning interior. Are there even any cleaners for automotive dry cleaning? Thanks for the input!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blue Coral make a product called Dri-Clean or something like that... basicly it is a bottle filled with soap with a brush as the nozzle. This was probably just the dealer trying to sell the product that was on his parts counter. test a small area with your cleaners and you shall be fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rlspringer

I have a customer that wants her interior cleaned on a 2001 Jetta. She talked to the dealer and they mentioned it needed to be dry cleaned only. Has anyone ran across dry cleaning a car? This is the first time I have heard of dry cleaning a car. Any help would be great! Thanks!

I recently detailed a 1999 Jetta and found that the cloth interior was extremely hard to vacuum.

The upholstery was basicly clean so it really didn`t need very much cleaning. It`s just that I actually had to use a brush and a combing like sweeping action while vacuuming. That was the only way the vacuum would pick-up anything.

In summary, I`d also like to know more about how to properly clean that type of cloth.

Post Thanks / Like
    What interior does the car have? Volkswagen offered three types of upholstery; sport cloth (nice, heavy woven fabric), velour (ugh, lint trap), and leather.

I had the sport cloth in my 2002 GTI, had no problems using a mild solution of Woolite and water - 6:1

I have heard nightmares from velour owners because the velour is like velcro in the VWs for some reason, it picks up everything. You should be able to treat it just like the sport cloth, just rinse well.

My wife and I now own a 2003 Jetta and a 2003 GTI, both have leather interiors. I clean them with Gold Class leather cleaner and conditioner. If the seats are really dirty, I`ll use the previously mentioned water/woolite mix to clean them.

The floormats are pretty easy to clean, and if ours are heavily soiled, I`ll hit them with the pressure washer and then vacuum out the water with our Shop-Vac. The actual carpet in the cars is pretty thin and collects fur and grass which can be tough to vacuum out if it gets worked into the fibers. I haven`t had any stain experience with the carpet, so I don`t know how tough or easy it is to clean.

The dashboard in the Jetta is a nice matte black plastic, and looks best when you just wipe it down with something like a non-carnauba QD. I use Eagle One and get nice results. I haven`t seen what the Jetta dash looks like with 303, but would like to try it some time.

Also, the headliners in the cars with sunroofs gets pretty dirty if the owner drives with it open, so be sure to vacuum the headliner and check it for stains too.

Oh, and just as Tom said, NEVER listen to the VW service advisors. I have yet to meet one that I would actually trust with my car, that is why I service them myself.
    2003 Mazda Protege ES 2.0
    Sunlight Silver Metallic
    very dirty

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of using Woolite and maybe some Blue Coral although I usually do not use Blue Coral. My wife uses Woolite on delicates and that is why I thought it would be good. Customer says it is a fabric interior so I am guessing it is the heavy sport cloth. I will meet with her tonight to get a better look at the interior. Velour is a pain to clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by IndigoGTI

What interior does the car have? Volkswagen offered three types of upholstery; sport cloth (nice, heavy woven fabric), velour (ugh, lint trap), and leather.

Looks like the Jetta I was cleaning had `velour upholstery`.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the outside chance that the VW SA was right, check the Owner`s Manual of the Jetta...

If `dry cleaning` is required, checkoutBridgepoint.com

ALL-SOLV SPOTTER/AEROSOL(ORM-D Item No.: CS06AE

They should be able to hook you up with a local distributor. I use a variety of their products, with great success.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the input. I will let everyone know what kind of fabric it is and what the outcome is.

Thread Information