Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking of a few changes for my business in 2004 and thought this would be an interesting thread to get going and see what others professional detailers will be seeking to change, add or improve upon with their detailing business.

As for myself I may be adding the credit card option for payment as a recent survey I did of my clients indicates they would prefer this form of payment.

I also hope to add an employee or two depending on how my new detailing area works out. I had hired a guy from my church but that lasted about a week....sheesh:argue

I also need to make it a point to keep up on my bookeeping software. I do it by the book for like 3 months then slowly fall behind and then try to cram it all together a few nights before I start my taxes. Anyone else use "TurboTax" to file their own taxes?

I am interested to hear the thoughts and resolutions of others.

Happy New Year,

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to continue to test products in the never ending quest for the ultimate finish...but I think the color of the vehicle and it`s normal use will play a big part in what I use.

I also hope to find some reliable help. My kids do very good work, but I only have them for about 8 weeks in the summer...note to self: convince older son to attend college in the Dallas area so he can work with me... Honestly, I really want to find someone who is motivated as much by the reward of doing excellent work as they are money.

I`m going to probably add windshield repair to my list of services. Just 2-3 a week means another $3000+ a year in income.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy New Year Anthony

- Keep track of all jobs in how long they last so that I can use those times for the future when trying to cram many jobs in a day/week.

- Offer more services to customers to keep their attention to my business high.

There is something else...Can`t think of it right now though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy New Years Anthony!

For me I want to book more new clients in detailing and in Fleet washing.

Do the best possible job I can to set myself apart from others.

Get a good program to keep all my book keeping up

Like Sean, Im sure there is more that I cant think of at this time.
    John `Cujo` Barnett

Custom Car Care

Mobile Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy New Year!

I`m going to be adding and changing several things, primarily because I`m still a "new" company.

1. Reliable Help

2. Better Marketing and Advertising programs and strategies

3. More better organizational techniques.

4. Adding on additional services to tailor to just about anyone with a vehicle.

Alot more, but it is early in the morning and my thought process is really slow!

:xyxthumbs
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to try and pay off some bills!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Anthony Orosco

I also need to make it a point to keep up on my bookeeping software. I do it by the book for like 3 months then slowly fall behind and then try to cram it all together a few nights before I start my taxes. Anyone else use "TurboTax" to file their own taxes?
    Well, I`m not a pro and I don`t know how the US tax payment system works for you guys, but a common cause of heartache here in the UK is that all the self-employed people I have ever known, spend all their income and then panic when they need pay the tax as they have put nothing aside. So maybe that could be something to aim for if you don`t already
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello folks,

Great responses and I notice that we all have, so far, just about the same goals for 2004....to better ourselves and our business.

Cujo,

I just got rid of QuickBooks because while it is a great program it is almost far too complicated for the small busines owner. I am talking about someone like myself with just 1 employee or the person who is an owner/operator. My wife keeps my books now and has really become my business manager because she is savy in that area and I.....well I am a dolt in that area:nixweiss She looked for and bought a new program called "Bookkeeper" and is put out by a company called "My Software". It cost us $30 bucks at CompUSA and it coms with a mail in $10 rebate, which is always cool! It tracks invoices, accnts rec. and payable and does payroll and taxes in a much more simplified manner than Quickbooks. Quickbooks is, at least IMHO, way overpriced at what, $200 now? Sheesh.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quickbooks is very powerful. Because of that, it can seem overwhelming. I use it quite a bit and am still learning as I go. It helps to have an accounting background or a few classes to understand accounts and their use.

I plan on entering the detail business part-time for the extra cake. I hae an existing DBA and can now upgrade my garage as a tax deduction.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony,

Glad your wife is taking care of your accounting needs. I looked at Quickbooks, but as what I do is soooo simple, I use the Quicken Premier Home & Business edition.

Works great and is pretty easy to use.

Patrick
    Im starting to move into retail sales with microfiber products. Im finding that instead of this line, supplementing my detailing, that its the opposite, detailing is supplementing my retail sales. Its off to a great start. I`m constantly finding new suppliers, and products for MF`s, just as I did with detailing products (waxes, polishes, QD`s etc) It can be very chaotic and overwhelming at first (Remember the days?), but extremely rewarding, talking and meeting individuals. I wish it was as easy to move forward in life, as it is in detailing ! I`ll be sure to share with all of you my new products !

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

Patrick,

I have been using mostly cotton terry cloths. Do you think I should switch over to all microfiber? Are microfiber products really that much better than old fashion cotton?

Thanks in advance...

Like night and day. Quality mf towels are vastly superior to even the best cotton terry cloth towels.

...btw, Patrick sells some very nice quality mf`s. Real thick, plush and absorbent!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    To Patrick - what is your website to where I can see/purchase these microfibers that you sell?? Also, how much do you charge??

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, those look like some pretty good microfibers. Any discounts for autopians???:p

Sorry, but I`m a cheap *******.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony...I`m a mobile detailer myself and I started excepting credit cards in October. Not only is it convient for some of my customers - it also increases my complete detail instead of just a regular car wash, inside and out. If you want the website, I send it to you, just send me an email and I`ll send it to you. If I don`t use it this month, I pay no fees. Take care

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information