Post Thanks / Like
    As I continue to read more threads about wetsanding I would like to throw out a couple of questions that I havent` seen addressed.

1. Is it necessary to have an ortibal to be able to remove the marks left from sanding or can I just use my PC with a heavy compound?

2. Can an orbital alone provide similar results as wetsanding if used with the right pad/product?

I am trying to decide whether my next purchase should be an orbital or sanding supplies (Mequiars Unigrit, etc.)

Thanks,

Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by onlybyhisgrace

1. Is it necessary to have an ortibal to be able to remove the marks left from sanding or can I just use my PC with a heavy compound?
    I would recommend a Rotary polisher.

2. Can an orbital alone provide similar results as wetsanding if used with the right pad/product?
    The short answer no. Sanding is a totally different than using a PC.

I am trying to decide whether my next purchase should be an orbital or sanding supplies (Mequiars Unigrit, etc.)
    A PC is an orbital polisher. Do you mean a rotary polisher? If you purchase sanding supplies or a rotary polisher, go to a body shop or junk yard for old panels to practice on.

Two more things:

1. Purchase the meguiars defect video

2. Check out this Forum.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have removed wetsanding marks before w/ an orbital but it does take awhile. I`ll never use an orbital to do it again as I only did it as a test to see what an orbital can do. A rotary is the way to go if you plan on doing wetsanding.

I`d say you`d want to get an orbital if you don`t have a machine buffer and learn how to use it, then move onto a rotary buffer, and then learn how to wetsand. The rotary buffer you can easily burn paint and wetsanding can quickly eat through layers of paint so you`ll want some experience before getting into those things...

I`m not one against jumping right into a rotary though... I started w/ a rotary. Just need to be more careful with one.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops, I mis-spoke. One the first question I meant to say rotary not orbital. I aldready own a PC and was considering either a rotary or sanding supplies.

I appreciate the replies.

Brad

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, I mis-spoke. One the first question I meant to say rotary not orbital. I aldready own a PC and was considering either a rotary or sanding supplies.

I appreciate the replies.

Brad

Any particular reason you want either of these items. Just asking so we might be able to help you decide easier. Sanding supplies are probably a little cheaper than getting a rotary and pads. Just a thought.

Since you`re asking on the professional detailers board, I`m gonna say if you are detailing for profit, then you might want to learn the rotary before you take up wetsanding. Removing wetsanding marks will take a real long time w/ an orbital. If it`s on your own personal vehicle though, then an orbital would be find for removing wetsanding marks. It just takes longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Intel486

Removing wetsanding marks will take a real long time w/ an orbital. If it`s on your own personal vehicle though, then an orbital would be find for removing wetsanding marks. It just takes longer.

Intel,

I agree with you that an orbital takes a long time remove sanding marks. I only have experience remove 2000 grit sanding marks, I can only imagine the time it would to take remove heavier grit sanding marks with an orbital. This is one reason I want to learn how to use a rotary.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by edschwab1

Intel,

I agree with you that an orbital takes a long time remove sanding marks. I only have experience remove 2000 grit sanding marks, I can only imagine the time it would to take remove heavier grit sanding marks with an orbital. This is one reason I want to learn how to use a rotary.

Eric

Then it sounds like you`ve already made up your mind as to what you want

On factory paint I don`t think I`d go any lower than 1500 grit when wetsanding though. I`ve heard people using rougher grits but I wouldn`t. Better safe than sorry... Trust me, I learned the hard way, be safe or get ready to spend a lot of $...

Post Thanks / Like
    Intel,

Any particular reason you want either of these items. Just asking so we might be able to help you decide easier. Sanding supplies are probably a little cheaper than getting a rotary and pads. Just a thought.

I am thinking of my car. Currently I do not have a problem with swirl marks or paint defects. Just thinking about my orange peel. The idea of wetsanding would be less expensive but require more time. Besides I wasn`t sure if my PC could remove the sanding marks anyway. I guess a more specific question is can an rotary with a certain pad/product combo level orange peel? This option sounds like it would be more expensive but not take as long.

Thanks,

Brad

Post Thanks / Like

This option sounds like it would be more expensive but not take as long.
    I think you have summarised it very well! Anything is possible, you can remove wetsanding marks by hand, by PC or by rotary. Each requires a degree of skill and each requires a different time. By hand is the slowest and maybe the most skilled, rotary is fastest but also the one where mistakes will happen the fastest too! PC requires the lowest skill level and is in the middle on the timescale
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking of my car. Currently I do not have a problem with swirl marks or paint defects. Just thinking about my orange peel. The idea of wetsanding would be less expensive but require more time. Besides I wasn`t sure if my PC could remove the sanding marks anyway. I guess a more specific question is can an rotary with a certain pad/product combo level orange peel? This option sounds like it would be more expensive but not take as long.

The problem w/ factory orange peel is it is probably in the base coat and sanding on the clear won`t get rid of it. Almost all factory paint I`ve seen has some sort of orange peel in it. I wouldn`t worry about trying to get rid of the orange peel.

Thread Information