Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t believe this!!:angry A fellow detailer I know in a different area of PA makes over $250,000 a year detailing vehicles!!!! I didn`t even know that was possible! What I make in a month, he sometimes makes in a day! I know it more than likely has to do with his deep knowledge in marketing, and a family connection to a Sixer`s basketball player. I`m learning so much from this guy as far as running a detailing business is concerned, and of course I`m learning more than enough about actually detailing here at my second home..Autopia! Well, at least I know it is possible to earn a pretty decent living as a detailer! To fellow detailing business owners....keep on shining!
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"
    Likes Krob2k liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!

I`m working on building up my business by using techniques learned from my father and college.

$250k a year is what I like to hear. Hopefully I could be doing that one day .

Post Thanks / Like
    Does he do $250K all by himself? It sounds like he has guys working for him. What is he doing that is so different?

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Working by yourself it will be just about impossible to make that kind of green. 250,000 dollars a year would be nearly 21,000 a month. That is like $5,000 per week. Unless he does 10 cars at $100 per car 5 days a week for the entire year with no sick days or extended vacations, then I don`t see how that is possible. Now, if he had 5 guys working for him then bringing in $250,000 before expenses and salary is totally logical. I don`t care how much you know about marketing.... If you are making $250,000 bucks a year detailing then you have employees that you are making money off of as well. You would probably have to sell products to boot.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I call Shenanagins

Post Thanks / Like
    What Jngrbrdman said. With a good crew, yes. By yourself, I highly doubt it. Even if you charge $250 a detail and do two a day and take Sunday`s off, that only works out to $156,500.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer
    Thanks MissionHockey thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I cant eat that charlie thats Horse S--t

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll go along with the others when they say you need help to make those kind of bucks.

It would be interesting to see, since I`m assuming that the $250k is his revenue, what his personal profit is (ballpark, after paying salaries, employee benefits, bonuses, rent, new equipment & products, taxes, etc.).

And then compare this to what he`d make if he were buy himself with a mobile detailing setup (obviously less money tkaen in but obviously less overhead as well).

Which way comes out ahead (as in money in pocket)?

Just thinking out loud...
    Happy drivin`,

Rich

`04 Acura TSX SatinSilverMetallic/Ebony 6MT #1681

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ajbarnes

I can`t believe this!!:angry A fellow detailer I know in a different area of PA makes over $250,000 a year detailing vehicles!!!! I didn`t even know that was possible! What I make in a month, he sometimes makes in a day! I know it more than likely has to do with his deep knowledge in marketing, and a family connection to a Sixer`s basketball player. I`m learning so much from this guy as far as running a detailing business is concerned, and of course I`m learning more than enough about actually detailing here at my second home..Autopia! Well, at least I know it is possible to earn a pretty decent living as a detailer! To fellow detailing business owners....keep on shining!

It is not unthinkable to make that much detailing but definitely not by yourself unless you service ultra exotic cars at huge prices. My shops sales for last year approached $400 000 but I only cleared half of what this guy claims he is making. I also have an associate in Detroit who has 2 VERY successful shops doing $400000 - $500000 per year and he isn`t making that kind of money either. I hate to say it but I think your buddy is embellishing (sp?). :shocked

Malta.....and studying in Cheltenham in the UK
    Post Thanks / Like
    maybe 250k is what he makes before deductions and stuff...

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree he must be running a decent size shop with employee`s or charging absurd amounts of money for his details. I charge between $160.00 and $260 for my details and I cleared just under $50,000 after expenses, but take into account I work from home so I have very little overhead. I`ve heard of car washes clearing that kind of money but not owner operated detail shops.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~One man’s opinion~

$250,000 turnover is not the same as ‘making $250 profit

(just ask me I know)

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shineshop, your associate in Detroit, doe she do strictly retail? Or does he do mobile, dealership, fleet too? Im just wondering because Im thinking of opening up in that market (Western suburbs) and want to get a feel for it. Also what size shops and how many employees?I`d be happy to clear $60+k per year to be my own boss (since the wife would still make good money).

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by LightngSVT

Shineshop, your associate in Detroit, doe she do strictly retail? Or does he do mobile, dealership, fleet too? Im just wondering because Im thinking of opening up in that market (Western suburbs) and want to get a feel for it. Also what size shops and how many employees?I`d be happy to clear $60+k per year to be my own boss (since the wife would still make good money).

What`s up SVT? I see you`re in or near Ypsilanti and I used to come down and tear it up in Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti years ago. The shop I am referring to is in Birmingham and Rochester and do strictly retail sales. I met the owner at the world car care expo last May and have learned so much from him since then (even though we`ve been open 10 years!). I highly recommend attending the expo next May in Vegas if you can before opening your business as you will make a ton of contacts, see a lot of useful gadgets and technologies, chemical suppliers and educational courses. Good luck with the new business.

I guess I forgot about the shopsize and employees. The shop I have visited is around 2000 sq/ft and I think he had about 5 guys working that day. You will have no problem clearing at least $50000-$10000 a year if you can build up a successful detail operation and the write offs can be great as well. I just wish I got all the tax breaks you get in the States here in Canada.:shocked

Post Thanks / Like
    whats the name of this shop in pa?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information