Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Uhhhhh.....heads up to red in the faces, I put up this post to inspire fellow detailer`s to not give up, and keep on doing what they do, and to know that success is possible for the "little guy" in this industry. The detailer I was talking about belives this principle which is why he is successful. Please, do not steal the inspirational energy I`m trying to input here by (what I hope is not happening)..not "playa hating"! He worked hard and honestly to get to where he is now, and deserves credit and respect. He has my respect....this is why I willingly look to him for advice, inspiration, tips, tricks, etc. So, remember there are some of us out there who are trying to make it as detailer`s, and motivation and inspiration is not always available!
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, I think it sounds quite realistic.

The parking garage seems to be the key...

IMHO, most large cars and SUVs take all day... I charge $225-$250.

Here`s how I figure:

4 per day= $1000

5 days = $5000

50 weeks= $250,000

Sure, there are plenty of variables, just work that 6th day, tho, and you`d be at $300K!

A quick guess at overhead: $120K leaves $130 gross profit. Not bad for washin` cars!

lOCATION.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Malta.....and studying in Cheltenham in the UK
    Post Thanks / Like
    i just hope no one is hating on the guy for being successful. Hate it when people are jealous because some one does really well. It was hard to believe in the beginnin, but i can see hwo this guy is really lucky and knows his stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jimamary

No, I think it sounds quite realistic.

The parking garage seems to be the key...

IMHO, most large cars and SUVs take all day... I charge $225-$250.

Here`s how I figure:

4 per day= $1000

5 days = $5000

50 weeks= $250,000

Sure, there are plenty of variables, just work that 6th day, tho, and you`d be at $300K!

A quick guess at overhead: $120K leaves $130 gross profit. Not bad for washin` cars!

lOCATION.

Jim

1000 / 4 cars = $250 / car

Assuming a 10hr day, that means 10h/4c = 2.5 hrs per car.

$250 per car / 2.5h = $100 / hr! Pretty sweet.

Sounds unreal.

(10 hours / 4 = 2.5 hours

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a friend that makes nearly $240,000.00 as a dent-man at many local dealerships and auctions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by paco

1000 / 4 cars = $250 / car

Assuming a 10hr day, that means 10h/4c = 2.5 hrs per car.

If he has 4 guys that work for him, 2.5 hours per car isnt that hard to believe if they team up. Or that could be 1 full detail per guy, per day to complete the 4 cars. Sounds realistic to me.

I wonder what he pays his 4 employees though?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by luke667

i just hope no one is hating on the guy for being successful. Hate it when people are jealous because some one does really well. It was hard to believe in the beginnin, but i can see hwo this guy is really lucky and knows his stuff

I don`t think anyone is hating on this guy. It just wasn`t clear if he had a crew or was making that much all by himself. I think most of us find it very hard to believe that a one man operation could make that much. Now that we know he has a crew, $250,000 sounds very reasonable.

BTW, my brother grossed almost $150,000 last year just mowing lawns! He has one full time helper and one part time helper from March through November.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

BTW, my brother grossed almost $150,000 last year just mowing lawns! He has one full time helper and one part time helper from March through November.

Man if I didn`t suffer from massive hayfever type allergy symptoms (even cutting my own lawn), I`d be all over that!!

Post Thanks / Like
    ****$250,000 A Year**** How to make that detailing with 4 guys 101! Written By: "Playa Hata Destroyer"

1. He has an underground (Under A Building) shop/garage.

2. He has a mobile unit at other office buildings with 400+ employees per building.

3. He has 4 employees not including himself....which he does do some of the jobs.

4. He works 6 days a week.

Now let`s have some fun!!!!!!

A. $250,000 divided by 12 months in a year is: $20,803 (Per Month)

B. $20,803 divided by 4 weeks in a month is: $5208 (Per Week)

C. $5,208 divided by 6 days a week is: $868 (Per Day)

D. His services average about $30 per hour (He charges per job, but this $30 per hour is what he would make based on those set fees).

E. 4 guys working for him full time would make it that the per hour ratio would be in a eight hour day: $960 (Per Day)

F. That is not even the realistic figure given the fact he does some of the work himself therefore making it 5 guys working to make that much.

Does anyone else want to tell me that is not possible?

Look, like I said before, this post was not put up to extract "haters" across the country, it was put up to inspire little guys in the industry to keep their heads up and work hard to achieve this level of success. I know for a fact he earns this much especially because I used to work with him before I started my business, and I saw how much work he was getting and how it was getting done.
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quite an operation.

That`s something to aspire to. :up
    ~Miguel

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $250,000/YR. Detailing......

I have 3 guys that work with me at one shop, 3 guys that run/work another shop that I rarely visit outside of maintenace. The main location will do almost 500k this year. The second location will do about 250K (we opened it 18 months ago). Those are gross figures..Took about 50K to set up both shops and we we did it all with real money..no loans, no IOU`s, just "do it when you can pay for it" funding. My advice (and it`s worth nothing), charge more, charge for everything(we give away too much as detailers),and always do your best work.

I would also recommend diversifying--find a tint guy, find someone to install ppf (or invest in training), save up for a plotter, and install both. Way better margins in both of those than detailing. Also, you almost have to have a good dealer account to be profitable IMO. Find one that pays your price, understands the quality that you are providing, and pays regularly (near impossible I know, but they are out there). This is work that you don`t always have to touch, keeps everyone busy throughout the day, and with tweaking of your process is extremely profitable.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very possible.

Single pass 350
    Two stepper 600
    Jeweling + 150
    Coating + 250
    Headlight restoration + 70

Me an my partner can do two cars a day with full packages... That said, thats ALOT of work! I don`t just mean work, I mean hustling, promoting, call backs, referals etc. That is VERY HARD WORK! It also requires at least 1 person doing leads a lot of the time.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EBPcivicsi View Post
    My advice (and it`s worth nothing), charge more, charge for everything(we give away too much as detailers),and always do your best work.
    EXACTLY! We are a rare find, specialized labor jobs such as ours are hard to find an people who care like us... even harder!

Quote Originally Posted by EBPcivicsi View Post
    I would also recommend diversifying--find a tint guy, find someone to install ppf (or invest in training), save up for a plotter, and install both. Way better margins in both of those than detailing. Also, you almost have to have a good dealer account to be profitable IMO. Find one that pays your price, understands the quality that you are providing, and pays regularly (near impossible I know, but they are out there). This is work that you don`t always have to touch, keeps everyone busy throughout the day, and with tweaking of your process is extremely profitable.
    Well said, this is what I do as well for PDR an film.

Tweaking your process is the most important thing you can do, shave time, improve results, more happy customers, more referrals an more money in your pocket!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quite difficult to earn $100K (but very possible), but I find it close to impossible to earn/produce $250,000 unless you have multiple people working at an operation. No 1 man operation can do this and sustain it for any length of time w/o killing themselves. Do the math.....and then show me proof.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes Stokdgs, jsou liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, jsou thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Insurance - several flavors, electrical, water, waste management, Shop Rent, supplies, employees and labor, social security, paying back state taxes, etc., and on and on..

I have not read all the 11 year old posts not do I want to, thank you..

Doing all this alone every day, perhaps 6 days a week minimum for 1 year, then spending a lot of nights working out the numbers associated with the list above, get a few hours of sleep,
    then taking care of your family, extended family, obligations, Church, house maintenance, shop maintenance, etc., maybe take a weekend off, and tell me how you do this, ok ???

Good luck with this ! MerryChristmas !
    Dan F
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information