Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Stick to your price. It is worth it in the long run.

I had a guy call me several years ago (1995, I think) and at that time I was charging $20 for a basic wash/vac/dress tires. He told me they had 4 cars for me to wash about every 3 weeks. The guy who was doing it just stopped showing up and didn`t return their calls. Anyway he asked what I charged and I told him $20 and he said the other guy charged them $15 per car. I told him with the time to properly wash 4 cars I would have to charge $80 total and that if they had me come out one time, they would see that another $5 per car was worth it. I`ve been washing their cars for about 8 years now....and not just every 3 weeks, but about every 10 days or so, meaning not only are they paying me more (and yes, I have gone up to $25-35 per vehicle on washes now) per vehicle than the other guy, but more often also!

If you feel your work is worth $25 per vehicle, stick with it.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Right Wing Conservative NozeBleedSpeed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im not a pro detailer,but this is one of those "life" questions. A company with 600 employees wants you to come in on Fridays,the prime day of the week(for them to get their cars done). Out of 600 employees only 10-15 will get their cars washed.That 10 will be the top guys there,making the most money and driving the most expensive cars.They are too cheap to hire a porter full time so they try to get you to come in and wash 10 cars for the price that you charge for one detail on the best day of the week.

If he would have tried that crap with me,this is what the negotiation would have sounded like.

Me: I charge 25 a car.

Him: Well 25 is kinda high.How about 20 a car.

Me:Im sorry,there is no way I can do it for less than 30,thats my bottom price.

Him: 30? I thought you said 25?

Me: I did. I do a really great job.Thats why I absolutely have to get 35 per car.I cant go any lower.

(The more he talked,the higher the price would be.)

Dont let these guys treat you like a whore.Sometimes you have to be a hardass and just find other work.I can just hear this guy at the next managers meeting...Well guys,I got ol` monkey boy to come in on Fridays and wash our Porsches for 20 bucks a hit.You guys owe me lunch.
    Im Zaino free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stick to your price and do not give a discount!!! They are playing a pricing game with you. You wash cars a certain way with a certain standard. Clearly explain how and why you use certain procedures. If they want to cut corners and have someone use inferior products, then they deserve to get inferior results----from someone else!!!! If you bend, you will never stop bending. There is a reason why their last detailer went out of business!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Me: I did. I do a really great job.Thats why I absolutely have to get 35 per car.I cant go any lower.

Thats hillarious! I`m gonna have to try that some time... :LOLOL
    ~Miguel

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am going to stick with my guns and charge $25. If they do not like it, then they can get some other guy that does not care about quality. I will keep my reputation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rlspringer

I just got a contract to setup shop at a business with about 600 employees every Friday. I mentioned my prices for washing cars starts at $25.00. I mentioned that I do quality and not quantity. I was told to do less quality and more quantity to lower my price (they suggest $20 for all cars since usually I would get between 10 - 15 cars). I do not want to run my business that way. Their last detailer went out of business and I guess because of the quality. Any suggestions on how I should handle this situation. Thanks

Don`t waste your time on jerks like that. I know it`s tough to turn down work but if you aren`t getting paid what you should be then forget about them. The whole less quality for a lower price will only last until they all start nit picking the jobs to death after they get the price down. Your profit margin on a detail like that is very low and you should never, ever drop the price even if thew car is cherry. If they want full details then you have a little more room to move but never for a $25 job. Tell them politely that`s the price and if they don`t like it spend your time finding good quality clients who will appreciate your hard work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed

Im not a pro detailer,but this is one of those "life" questions. A company with 600 employees wants you to come in on Fridays,the prime day of the week(for them to get their cars done). Out of 600 employees only 10-15 will get their cars washed.That 10 will be the top guys there,making the most money and driving the most expensive cars.They are too cheap to hire a porter full time so they try to get you to come in and wash 10 cars for the price that you charge for one detail on the best day of the week.

If he would have tried that crap with me,this is what the negotiation would have sounded like.

Dont let these guys treat you like a whore.Sometimes you have to be a hardass and just find other work.I can just hear this guy at the next managers meeting...Well guys,I got ol` monkey boy to come in on Fridays and wash our Porsches for 20 bucks a hit.You guys owe me lunch.

Too funny! I had a used car manager pull that crap with me but little did he know I intentionally quoted him hig h on doing his work and let him negotiate me down to what I wanted to charge so he felt like he got the best of me. His assistant told me all about how proud he was of how he "had me by the short and curlies"! Sometimes you have to finesse a customer like that to get what you need out of a job AND make them feel like they are getting the better end of the deal on price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by zenhog

There`s more to this than the simple concept of supply and demand. If your business plan assumed you were going to get 10 washes in a day, and you wanted to make $250 for that day`s wash activity, then you set the price at $25. Of course this is a very simplistic example, the cost of supplies, etc are part of the equation, but the price would eventually be set based on some form of expected # wash jobs divided into some desired amount of revenue... but you get the idea.

If someone comes along and guarantees you 15 washes for the day, and says they`ll give you $20 a wash, I`d look long and hard at that business plan target of $250/day and consider their offer.

My two cents, anyway.

The only problem I can see with that is that 15 cars will take 50% longer to wash than 10 cars and for that extra 50% of time, you will only make $50 more.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ShineShop

Don`t waste your time on jerks like that. I know it`s tough to turn down work but if you aren`t getting paid what you should be then forget about them. The whole less quality for a lower price will only last until they all start nit picking the jobs to death after they get the price down. Your profit margin on a detail like that is very low and you should never, ever drop the price even if thew car is cherry. If they want full details then you have a little more room to move but never for a $25 job. Tell them politely that`s the price and if they don`t like it spend your time finding good quality clients who will appreciate your hard work.

I made the mistake when I was first starting out of accepting a job to clean 3 Lincoln Town Cars for the owners of a local construction firm for $50 every Monday morning. I had only been detailing full time for a few months and this was the first person who wanted weekly washes and I thought that his offer was fair since I`d be cleaning them every week and they would never get real bad.

Boy, was I wrong! They took them out to their construction sites all the time, so they`d have mud in the fenderwells and all over the carpet. I was kicking myself in the a$$ within a few months. Then it got worse. They got a large contract and half the time I`d go there, only 1 or 2 cars would be there and of course, they wanted to pay me $16.67 per car when there was less than all three. No call either to let me know so I could schedule more cars later in the day to fill the now available time. I finally told them after about a year I`d have to charge them $25 per car if all three were there and $30 per car if it was less than 3. They declined and I said they needed to find someone else then because I wasn`t coming back.

Never again will I put myself into that position.
    www.scottwax.com

Right Wing Conservative NozeBleedSpeed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rlspringer

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am going to stick with my guns and charge $25. If they do not like it, then they can get some other guy that does not care about quality. I will keep my reputation.
    I personally think you are doing the right thing. I think 25.00 is too low as it is. This is not a group insurance plan. It takes just as much time and work to wash each one,no matter how many are waiting in line.So why should your time and effort cost less per car? Call Carl Faberge and ask him what the discount is,for buying multiple Faberge eggs.
    Im Zaino free.

Post Thanks / Like
    One other thing I have to consider is that they have no hookup for water or electic. That means I have to use my pressure washer and generator, which means I pay for gas! That is going to offset the price a little with gas being so high.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s very true Scott. It`s a guess as to whether you`re going to spend that 50% extra time picking your nose because the day includes 10 cars, or using that time to make the extra $50 that you wouldn`t make otherwise. Now if I have labor costs that could have been sent home then the $50 might go straight into their pockets.. or close to it. That may not be worth it.

I would DEFINATELY make it very public at that company that I`m giving them a discount and only if they maintain a certain volume. That way if the contract runs out, or I have enough business that I need that day to do full-price car washes, then the customers from that place know full well they`ll be paying the full price. Or if they miss me on my day and come to my place they`ll also know full well what the price will be.

Actually I like NozeBleed`s approach the best.

NozeBleed, you said you have other negotiating practices. How about a few more tips? lol..

Better detailing through chemistry

z

Post Thanks / Like
    my friend used to do car washes for a living and says he goes to dealerships who pay him roughly $4 per car.. He said him and his partner did like 200 cars in one day. It takes them about 2 minutes do do each car, only using a large deionized water tank and a large chamois.

He says most cars are pretty clean and a wash consists of a rinse and dry. He dried each car in a minute and a half using the chamois.. He said it takes some technique but for the most part all the cars were clean by the end of the day.

He said he does a different dealership every day..

crazy, if you ask me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed

I personally think you are doing the right thing. I think 25.00 is too low as it is. This is not a group insurance plan. It takes just as much time and work to wash each one,no matter how many are waiting in line.So why should your time and effort cost less per car? Call Carl Faberge and ask him what the discount is,for buying multiple Faberge eggs.

That is an old dealer trick: "we`re sending you x amount of cars a year so we expect a hefty discount based on the volume". What they fail to realize is that the volume does not make it less work to do each car. This is a service - not a commodity we are selling here. Your costs will vary from job to job based on varying factors as opposed to say a can of coke costing the same (or nearly the same) to produce each can in a production run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shineshop,

I wouldn`t consider it a dealer trick... If I was a dealer and I was giving you X number of car`s, I would also ask for discount.

For a mobile detailer, the greater the volume you have a one site, the less down time you have traveling between sites. If I was able to provide you with 1/2 to a full day`s work, I would expect some type of discount as opposed to having you the detailer only complete 1 or 2 vehicles.

As a customer, I would expect that the $25 basic charge includes travel time etc. So, if you`re doing more than 3 cars, I would expect a reduction in rates - especially if it`s with a guarantee for a X number of vehicles / day-week-month.

Negotiating is just that. It doesn`t mean they are looking to demean that the work you are doing. As for the 600 personcompany, if I was negotiating - I`d like a trial period with a discount to ensure I was a happy with the quality. If so, then I would be willing to pay the price you were asking.

I definitely wouldn`t turn away business at such an early stage. Agree to some sort of concession to gain the business with an understanding that it`s only an introductory offer based on assurances that a minimum X number of cars / day would be part of the agreement. Getting your name around a company of that size could help in the long run ...

Mike posted some excellent info. Most people don`t understand that there is a difference between detailers. You need to inform them of what offer as a service and highlight the very little things. i.e. new towels between cars, 2 bucket method to minimize swirls.

The other thing I would do is offer an consultation. That way, you can go over the vehicle with the owner and highlight how poor washes and maintenance lead to issues. Inform them of the attention to detail you pay in washing/waxing their vehicle and why they should do business with you and not the competition.

The more people understand, the better chance you have of landing the work. If at the end of it, they still are only focused on price, then walk.

Never compromise quality for quantity or $$$.
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information