Post Thanks / Like
    How long do you pro detailers usually take for a "full" detail? My full detail is washing, SMR/DACP, AIO, and usually poorboy`s EX or UPP, I vac the inside and shampoo the carpets, trunk and headliner. I always clean the dash and vinyl and top with 303. Then I also condition the leather seats if they have them. Take out any scuffs on the door sills. Clean the door jambs and follow with a wax. This is usually taking me about 10 hours or more. What can I do to cut down on the time? Are you making your customers cars absolutely spotless? I always find myself treating them like my own, like I dont offer scuff removal etc on the door sills but if i see it i remove it because it only takes a minute or two. When you use DACP etc with the porter cable, how many passes do you make before wiping it off? I usually go up/down, left/right, diagonal one way, diagonal another way about 10 times until the product is really worked in. This is probably the part that kills me, it takes soooo long to do that to the entire car, but I don`t like leaving cars as if they could be done better. Also, how much would you typically charge for all this? I charge 135, but all my customers have said I should charge atleast double for the quality work I do, but 135 seems about the going rate around here and I don`t want to lose business. Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    May I recomend a search for that question? Its been discussed a few different ways in the last few months. The amount of time it takes varies depending on the type of car you are working on and how bad it is. It typically will take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours for me (depending on the vehicle). If it was a tank of an SUV then it may take longer. On a little car it wouldn`t be as long. It really varies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the thread "Average Time of a Car Detail". This was just discussed last week. 10 hours is a real long time for a detail. When you break it down you are making $13.50 an hour.

If that covers all your operating expenses and still puts money in your pocket than good for you.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious.....how do you "shampoo" the headliners? I`ll only spot clean headliners due to the fact that I`m scared silly that it`ll loosen the glue and the headliner will end up falling down a day or two later. There is a detail shop near me that refuses to even touch headliners. Seems they`ve been biten once too many times.

I know ProWax makes an aerosol product specifically designed for healiners and thus isn`t supposed to soak the fabric but I`ve never tried it.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, that was bad wording by me. I shampoo the trunk and carpets but not headliner. I read the thread. Someone said it took them around 2 hours for DACP, but 30 minutes to polish, isn`t it basically the same routine if you use a porter cable for both? Does AIO not need to be worked in as much? Also, for the 45 min wash/vac do you make sure you get every spec of dirt off the floor and in all the crevaces? Do you clean the dash and door jambs in that price?

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    AIO does the work for you. Wiping it on with a foam applicator (just like wax) is as effective as any other method... no need to work it in like compounds and old school polishes. No need to wait for it to dry... this is prolly a 20 minute procedure.

As a new guy doing this for a living, I spend WAAAY too much time on each vehicle. But, I know I`m doing good work, and the upscale referrals have me as busy as I want to be.

I`m learning many new things everyday. I`ll get thru this summer period before I contemplate and/or implement new and more efficient processes.

I read these threads with great interest, tho, since my current hourly rate really sucks!! But I`m patient. The business is building in the right direction, and I`m booked 10 days out.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Thread Information