Thread: Advice

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 15 years old and am looking to make some extra money this summer, is a neighborhood car detailing service a realistic consideration? I am pretty knowledgeable about cars and detailing methods, and any advice would be greatly appreciated

-GD

Post Thanks / Like
    Within your neighborhood isn`t really going to make you too much money, Think about how much you need to invest, and then returns on that investment, and oportunity costs. Maybe work for a local detail shop, that would be my suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like
    370HSSV

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a cruel joke, Mmmph! :lol I can`t believe I fell for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have about $1000 at least to invest in products and equipment to do it right? If so, then I would say that it is realistic. Also, how much experience do you have detailing since you are only 15 and presumably don`t even have a car to detail yourself. I mean if you want to put up flyers for a wash and wax, I would say that is realistic. Charge like $60-75 for wash, wax, vacuum, clean glass, dress tires and that might be more up your alley. Most people who really want their car detailed don`t put a lot of faith into a 15 year old who has his parents drop him off at a job.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s hard starting at 15. Its impossible to do mobile detailing seeing as you can`t drive yet. Most people will not trust their cars to a 15 year old even if you can detail with the best of them. Its possible, but you`ll have to realize you`ll have a lot of proving to do before the money starts rolling in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by gabed

I am 15 years old and am looking to make some extra money this summer, is a neighborhood car detailing service a realistic consideration? I am pretty knowledgeable about cars and detailing methods, and any advice would be greatly appreciated

-GD

I think at 15 your opportunities may be limited.

Have you considered working for a local detail shop. It would be a good learning experience for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the major obstacles I think a 15 year old will face is the fact that nobody will respect his ability to do the job. An adult can say that they have been detailing for 5 or 10 or 35 years. How much experience could a 15 year old really have? Its a problem that would be difficult to overcome I think.

Another problem is that it takes money to make money. I think that with about a $300 dollar investment in the right products and tools then you could be ready to do some work. That wouldn`t get you the polisher or pads, but it would get you the right towels, waxes, cleaners, etc. to get started. You would have to be able to order online to get some of it, so you will need a credit card or debit card. If you show up with a bucket, sponge, an old bathtowel, some windex, and a couple bottles of armor all... well, I just don`t think you`ll get much business. You need to be able to offer a service that they can`t do themselves. If you are using the same products that they already have and are doing it in their driveway when they are home then you aren`t really saving them anything. If I`m at home and don`t have anywhere to go for a couple hours then chances are that I`d be out washing the car. Being able to offer something like oxidation removal, swirl removal, paintless dent repair, engine detailing, steam cleaning, odor removal, etc. then you have something that people may not be able to do for themselves.

Packing around all your supplies is best done in the trunk of a car or in a truck or something like that. What were your plans as far as that goes? Without a drivers license you will be pretty limited to your neighborhood. People may give you business because they know you. That may be a good start. Getting to your next appointment may be a chore though. Hauling around 30 pounds of towels and cleaners can get heavy after a couple cars. I guess there is always a wagon or something. What were your plans as far as that goes? I think that NJDetailer may be right about working in a shop for now. That way people bring their cars to you and you don`t have to worry about hauling around all your supplies.

Post Thanks / Like
    At 15 you might even have a hard time getting a job at a car wash. Most detail shops/carwashes demand that you have a valid drivers license. As far a s detailing on your own, I would learn as much as I could from a reputable detailer. tel him that you love detailing and that you are a hard worker who wants to learn the business. Tell him that you are 15, no license but you are willing to learn from the bottom up.

Post Thanks / Like
    GD,

I suggest going around the "hood" asking the neighbors if you could wash their cars for them (for $$$ of course). Then start offering extras such as wax, interior, dress tires, etc. for more $$$. Don`t classify yourself as a mobile detailer and you won`t give the perception that you HAVE professional experience. You probably have enough neighbors to keep you busy all summer. Some are sitting in front of the TV, right now, drinking a cold one that wouldn`t care if you used a PC, Zaino, SG, BF, BS, MF, clay, etc, etc, etc.

I think if you buy some consumer products, do good job, build a reputation for yourself, you could make some decent cash this summer. Hell, I started cutting grass at 12 and bought my first car (70 Fastback Mustang) with the money I saved over the summers. I targeted the neighbors who weren`t so picky and just wanted it done no matter what. Why not wash ("detail") cars...get some experience...buy better products/equipment...next thing ya know your rich!!!

Thread Information