Post Thanks / Like
    I am new to the detailing business side, just started doing cars for guys at my dads office. I am about to do a gold Lexus LX 470, next day a white Volvo X70, and sometime later this week a black Ford Expedition. The Lexus and Volvo are right on the puget sound waters and salt gets everywhere so a polymer sealant is in store. I have Zaino and Klasse sitting around, and would be happy to do either one on any of the cars as I prep the surface properly. My concern lies in that as these two sealants last a long time, it has been my experience that over time swirls develop in the sealant and are amplified by the sealant, even on my white explorer. It wouldn`t be very feasible for me to wash each of these cars very often after they are polished and sealed so say they take it through a gas station car wash sometime or use improper washing and drying techniques and it gives the usual swirls from that and the sealant magnifies them. I am concerned that the customer will see the swirls later and think it is a reflection of my work, that I just covered up the scratches and swirls when I charged them to remove them, especially on the black expedition. My other concern lies in that if I give them some tips on how to keep the surface looking good, most will see it as too much of a bother and not come back to me or refer me. Are my concerns just or does it really matter what the car looks like a month or two down the road? And are there any sealants that avoid the amplifying effect that last as long as these two? I have only used klasse and zaino. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are worrying too much about things out of your control. If a customer wants to drive his car in a demolition derby 15 minutes after you detail it, that`s their decision. How they maintain their vehicles is up to them. All you can and should do is the best job possible and deliver them their cars in terrific condition. What they do with the car afterwards is up to them, not you.

I can`t think of any sensible person who would be offended by receiving car care tips from a detailer they just paid to take care of their car. They`re coming to you because you are the expert, the man with the talent and the know-how. Giving them a few pointers to help maintain their cars would be appreciated by most folks. I mean, if they knew this stuff they`d be detailing themselves, wouldn`t they?

Swirls develop in sealants AND waxes. They`re usually caused by poor washing technique but for the most part, swirls are inevitable. Its like the sun setting in the west. Swirls happen. What are you gonna do? Don`t worry about it.

Tell the customer what work you`re gonna do, focusing on the BENEFITS of each product or step. This sets their expectations before you get to work. Then after, take them around the vehicle and point out areas you made a big diff - interior, wheels, paint, whereever. This reinforces what you told them before you started. Finally give them a few cleaning tips to maintain the look and leave it at that.

Set their expectations

Deliver on their expectations

Go the extra mile by educating them on caring for their car

Collect your fee

Ask for a referral

On to the next customer

Happy detailing!!
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Thread Information