- Hey, U Missed A Spot - CleanFreak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greetings,

I am looking for an established mobile detailer to be a mentor. I have detailed vehicles for 8 years at a detail shop but left last year to work for a Aluminum Casting company. My passion for detailing has never stopped. With 12 hr shifts, I`m able to detail on the side. Now I might be facing layoff very soon. I want to take mobile detailing for surriously. My budget is limited. I have almost everything. But, my set back is I can only use a customers water source and electricity. In the future I will pick up a small generator and water tank. But for now, I can get away with what I have.

I just need alittle help in marketing and taxes. I have flyers and bussiness cards but would like others ways of catching attention. I know word of mouth is great but I am still starting out.

Any help would be appreciated...

Post Thanks / Like
    Go through this forum first, most of what you need to know is already here. Once you`ve gone through all the threads, then post any specific questions you weren`t able to find answers to.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Well if you lived here in San Antonio you could tag along for a few days but in all honesty it sounds as though you can get going on your own just fine.

I don`t have water tanks nor a generator and I am slammed 6 and sometimes 7 days a week. Water tanks come in handy but I have had more trouble with them than benefit. They cause wear and tear on your vehicle and then there is the hassle of having to re-fill them.

If you plan on pulling up into a business park then a generator and water tanks is the way to go but if you are going to houses mainly then don`t bother with the expense.

Taxes vary from city to city and state to state. Here in Texas workmans comp is not mandatory. The only thing a mobile detailer needs to operate here in Texas is a business name, register with city hall, bank account and the desire to make it.

When I was in California I needed a business permit from each and every city I would do work in....that was a bummer!

As for marketing....the best form of marketing for a detailer is for people to SEE you detailing. Business cards and flyers have their place but none of them match people actually seeing your work being done.

Hope that helps,

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a mobile detailer and i do not own a water tank or generator. I make the customer aware that I will need an outlet and a water line as i come with hoses. If water is not around then i carry QEW with me, which works well everytime.

You need to check with local DEP and city & town laws if you plan to go legit. Fines can be heavy!

Thread Information