Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Dent puller

Post Thanks / Like
    :nixweiss Dunno, but if you figure it out let us know. I`m planning on trying it later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg

What is the outside temperature? If it is too hot outside, the glue will not hold. You may want to try multi-temp glue from Walmart. Also, try spraying with compressed air and waiting only 40 secs before pulling the dent (will allow more flexability). I just received mine so I`ll try it this weekend.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Outside temp is probably about 77-80.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have to wait a bit after putting the glue on the tab before you attach it to the car? I`m a bit nervous about damaging the paint with that molten glue.

Thanks,

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    it probably takes me 20 seconds before I put the glue onto the tab before it touches the surface, I`ve done it 5 times on one place now and the paint seems fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to give the MDP a try in 5 dings with decent results. At first I was having the same problem as Greg, where the tab would just pop off taking the glue with it. Then I remembered David mentioning that you gently massage it out with about 10-15 squeezes. When I tried that method, I got better results. Not perfect but much less noticeable. It was about 70 degrees when I started, but it was quite humid, which I`m sure had an effect on the glue.

Here is a dent before:

After

I tried it again on this dent and I was able to get it a little better than the last picture shows but it was getting dark and my battery was dying.

Post Thanks / Like
    My dents are so small, that even the lightest squeeze takes it with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a few small ones that had the same problem. These were on a small strip of metal between the rear glass and the license plate. There was not much give in the area and the tabs just popped right off. I may give that Walmart glue a try. As a side note, each time the tabs popped off, the glue came with the tabs. I never had the glue stay on the paint.

Glenn

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only had time to try it on one small door ding on MY car. First couple of times, tab and glue popped off on the first squeeze. Then I used hot air gun to keep the glue hot while applying pressure to the tab; then compressed air to cool. As I pressed the tab, I also twisted it to get good contact. NO! Don`t do that! With gentle sqeezes on the tool, the dent came, but now I have a small, circular scratch from the tab!

Dent`s gone...

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s a hot air gun? A blow dryer?

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried the MDP again today on a car I was detailing and had no luck. The humidity was about 93% today so I`m sure that had a lot to do with it. I even tried that Walmart glue that was talked about on a PDR forum. That glue was even worse than the glue that came with the kit. The Walmart glue just popped off after the lightest squeeze. I was able to at least get a few pulls with the regular glue before it popped off.

Anybody have any tips?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    I almost hate to say this, but I`m almost thinking refund. I`ve tried everything I can imagine and still no luck in my dents.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I took time to lift my second dent today; a quarter-size ding (with a slight crease and scratch) on a hood.

Applied the tab 3 times. Made sure the surface was clean and warm. Glue was hot, and `coming out all edges` per the book. Compressed air to `set` the glue. I massaged gently, using maybe 10 gentle squeezes, and turninig the `screw` to pick up `slack` as I progressed. The glue broke loose on the first two attempts, and on the third attempt the red tab broke!

Altho the dent was not completely gone, there was 80% improvement. This car/ding was not a good candidate because of the obvious `crease`, and the improvement was about what I expected... not the kind of thing many people would pay for, tho.

I`m still optimistic. Like a good surgeon, we need to proprly identify and screen our `patients`!

DavidB: will additional red tabs be available through either you or Wurth?

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by heckler

I tried the MDP again today on a car I was detailing and had no luck. The humidity was about 93% today so I`m sure that had a lot to do with it. I even tried that Walmart glue that was talked about on a PDR forum. That glue was even worse than the glue that came with the kit. The Walmart glue just popped off after the lightest squeeze. I was able to at least get a few pulls with the regular glue before it popped off.

Anybody have any tips?

Glenn

The temperature and humidity have a big impact on how well this will work. I have a bridge system, works on the same concept as the dent puller you are using. Try icing down the ding before applying the glue when the outside temperature is above 80 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried many different alternatives without a lot of luck. I`ve found the best possibility for glue adhesion to the paint but then the glue simply releases from the Wurth plastic puller. Out of the hundred or so hail dings, not one was pulled fully. I`ll give it one last try next weekend.

Jim

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information