Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought Zaino a couple days ago, and know that Zaino says you should always use verticle motions for applying the polish, but should it be verticle motions to remove/buff also?

One more thing, should I use verticle motions to apply Z6 as well?

Thanks
    2006 Limited V6 RAV4

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used both vertical and horizontal motions when applying and removing the products, and when applying Z-6.

I can see virtually no difference in the appearance after each method.

The important thing is not to use a circular motion. The circular motion is an invitation for the dreaded swirl marks.

To me, horizontal makes more sence, because of the way your arms move most naturally.
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would using circular motions cause scratches but not using straight linear motions with the same towel on the same car using the same pressure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by asjk07

Why would using circular motions cause scratches but not using straight linear motions with the same towel on the same car using the same pressure?

I know that Sal Zaino recommends against applying the products in a circular motion.

He is the one to answer this question.
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    It would just cause verticle/horizontal scratches, but Zaino claims it gives the car a "3.D." effect....
    2006 Limited V6 RAV4

Post Thanks / Like
    They say not to apply waxes and polishes in circular motion because if it is scratching the paint a circular swirl can reflect light from several angles where a straight scratch will only reflect light from one angle.

If your careful and the application pad remains clean then it shouldn`t really be an issue but I`ve found that over the course of waxing a car it will collect dust and could possibly cause those dreaded swirl marks.

I`ve never seen an issue with wiping off waxes in a circular motion, a good MF will usually keep any light dust away from the paint.
    Afshin

90 Porsche 928 GT - Marine Blue

09 MazdaSpeed3 - Metropolitan Gray Mica

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    There`s been a lot of discussion about this issue among Zaino users. Some folks want to go with their own observations, while others rely on the Zaino instructions. (After all, we certainly hope/trust that they have done even more sophisticated testing than most of us can!)

So ... the instructions and rationale, straight from the Zaino website:

From http://www.zainobros.com/files/application.htm "Squirt a dime size dab of polish on your applicator and rub it into your paint using circular hand motions. Then, go over the same area using a straight back and forth motion on top panels and an up and down motion on side panels. Allow the polish to haze over (20 minutes is sufficient)."

My distributor explained to me that the circular motion is to ensure good spread of the product, then the straight-line motions are to let the "optical properties" of Zaino do their thing.

From http://www.zainobros.com/files/tips.htm "Want an even higher level of optical light refraction and reflectivety. Here`s how. When applying Show Car Polish do the following; On all Top surfaces of vehicle, use a back and forth motion (from front bumper towards windshield). On all Side surfaces (doors, fenders, etc.) use a vertical motion, up and down. This technique will increase the way light attracts and reflects off of Show Car Polish. The body lines and contours of your vehicle will seem to glow. This trick really works."

All I know is: I use the Zaino-recommended technique, and the finish on my white Jaguar (with about 7 layers of Z2 this season) has amazing depth and "wetness."

I do not believe the application method has anything to do with swirls or scratches. No matter what technique you use, you can get swirls and scratches.

Post Thanks / Like
    As MBZ 500E said, curved micro-marring reflects light from many angles. The trick is to not introduce any marring during application and removal! What I do is apply Z-2 or Z-5 in linear strokes in a direction opposite to my buffing strokes. This way I can tell where I messed up!

<center>Microfiber does not cause scratches, people cause scratches!</center>

If you use clean applicators and buffing towels, and use only very light pressure you will minimize micro-marring! If light pressure doesn’t leave a smudge/streak free surface, don’t use more pressure - continue to buff lightly and maybe use a little Z-6 as an aid.

Mr. Z recommends cotton terry over microfiber because he has had quality control problems with micro-fiber. I don’t think that QC is an issue any longer provided you stay away from the “cheapie†MF towels. Even the cheapies don’t scratch if you use light pressure, they just take more rubbing to buff off the Zaino! For application I use a 16â€x16†MF towel cut into 8â€x8†squares - gives a better feel for the surface than using an applicator pad.

Mr. Z also recommends putting a dime sized dab of product on your applicator, and again I disagree with him! It should be done in a “Z" pattern, ala Zorro. This is especially important if you’re working on a Z3, Z4, Z8, Z28, Nissan Z-car, etc.!
    <B>OCD</B> sufferer and charter member of the
    <B>A</B>nal <B>R</B>etentive <B>Z</B>3 <B>O</B>wners <B>A</B>ssociation

Thread Information