Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been thinking about taking credit cards for some time now. I have lost some customers because I do not take credit cards.

I have also had the customers wanting to do more on the car but since they only had limited amount of money they only did what they can pay for.

So i said to myself, i will try it out for one year. I called today and as of next week i will be taking credit cards. One thing i did like is that i told the advisor that i am a mobile detailer and he gave me ways to take credit cards at the persons house, which is great.]

They only take 1.99% of the sale, which is nothing. The money gets deposited into my account within 2 days.

I asked what would happen if a detailed the person car and then they try to be a wise a$$ and dispute the charge saying it rained and they dont like it. I was told that since this is a service and the customer signed off on it, it would not hold up and they would be charged for the detail. I also make the customer sign off on the job before and after i am done detailing.

So it looks like I will be taking Credit Cards and will see what happends.

** If any other pro wants to take cards let me know, I can give you this advisors # and he will explain it all to you. He was great and turned out to be a car nut as well. I thought he was just saying that to get a sale, but he turned out to know what he was talking about.

Later

NYD

Post Thanks / Like
    I am small potoatoes as far as business goes compared to anyone who details for a living. I have been taking credit cards through paypal for awhile though. I know I have made money on jobs that I wouldn`t have made otherwise. I`ve never been burned by a check before, but I just trust Paypal more than checks in this day and age. The percentage that it takes to accept them is soooo worth it to me. I`m putting that I accept credit cards on my business cards next run. The extra money I have made by accepting PayPal has been well worth it in even my little business. If anyone wants to sign up on it then I certainly don`t mind the referals. Its really a great and safe way to do business these days. I`ve even got a debit card attached to my PayPal account so it is easier to access the funds when I purchase online. Way cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Meh...I may get asked 4-5 times a year if I take credit cards, so to me, it really hasn`t been worth it, along with the mobile equipment rental costs to verify cards. Verifying them through someone`s home phone would probably be free though. Just not worth the hassle for me considering the lack of requests that I do.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep us posted on how well it works and how much it actually costs to accept CC when you are mobile. I probably won`t do it because I don`t think I`ve ever been asked if I take CCs but it might help sway some people to do it. People do love to spend money they don`t have... of course... I don`t do that
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only use my CC for stuff on the internet (because you almost have to) and for gas (easier than going inside to pay cash)... other than that its either cash or check.

Personally I won`t do CC, because I make my customers "show me the money" before I start the job to prove they can pay. Only nice part about CCs is you don`t have to worry about not getting paid, its the card company`s problem if they can`t collect from their cardholder. They always make sure to pay the vendors.

Post Thanks / Like
    NYD,

Whats the price on the equipment? Is going to be one of those machines that takes an imprint of the card when you slide it across?

I called sam`s warehouse yesterday since they have a credit card collection account with some company. That particular company told me that I would have to have the machine ($500.00 or $19.00 a month lease) installed at home. Then when some customer payed with a credit card I would have to call home to my wife to press the numbers into the machine. It would have cost 2.54%+28 cents per transaction. I thought that those numbers were to high, and decided to look elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am paying $16.00 a month for the lease and 1.99% of the sale. No other fee`s.

I will have the machine in the house that i slide the card across and the one where you take an imprint of the card and the customer signs off on it when i am mobile.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it`s a great idea. Who wants to go run out for cash or write out a check? people are so used to using their ATM or credit card. I say good move. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey New York there are many companies out there who will give you the equipment at no charge. They call on me all time. To this day I do not accept ctredit cards. I feel that there never has been a time where my failure to accept credit cards has made me loose a customer. I firnly believe that if I did accept credit cards 90% of my customeres would use them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all Decided to stop being a lutker with this post:

Instead of getting the standard credit card machine, companies can actually give you one for about the same price that is a cellular machine, and can be used anywhere on any job. they are just the same as the normal machines, just an antenna sticking out one side. HSBC bank for those that are around one offers a great system for business banking and credit acceptance with a merchant account. infact the money appears in your account between instantly and up to 2 hours after you swipe it.

~Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tpgsr

Hi all Decided to stop being a lutker with this post:

Instead of getting the standard credit card machine, companies can actually give you one for about the same price that is a cellular machine, and can be used anywhere on any job. they are just the same as the normal machines, just an antenna sticking out one side. HSBC bank for those that are around one offers a great system for business banking and credit acceptance with a merchant account. infact the money appears in your account between instantly and up to 2 hours after you swipe it.

~Mike

Got any info on this. I might be doing a few cars this summer and I need to partake of this in case some peeps don`t have cash.

I also like Jngr`s idea as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw those wireless machines at Yankee Stadium last summer.

People buying food and stuff with their credit cards from their seats
    370HSSV

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NY detailer

I am paying $16.00 a month for the lease and 1.99% of the sale. No other fee`s.

I will have the machine in the house that i slide the card across and the one where you take an imprint of the card and the customer signs off on it when i am mobile.

What cards are you going to be able to accept? I know that some of them charge much higher percentages for acceptance than others. This is why not everybody takes American Express, for example. They have been known to charge as much as 30% of the purchace for acceptance. It keeps a lot of people away from it. That is what I like about PayPal. They don`t charge different percentages for different cards. Is your machine like that?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can take any card i want, but i manly want it for visa and mc.

xpress takes more and so does discover.

As for the wireless transactions it is a big monthly fee that i don`t want. It is somewhere around 40-50 a month. Not worth it for me. I will be fine with the machine at home and imprint machine with me on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    NYD,

This is a great idea because I think society is moving towards an era cashlessness, no tangible currency only plastic. You can now have your paycheck put on a debit card connected to a MC or V as opposed to DD or Live check.

Recently I purchased a $1.50 butt end for my hockey stick and I was asked for my credit card @ POS and when I paid with cash, I was told that cash is rarely used or seen anymore.

If I start a PT business I am thinking of using paypal.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information