Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been considering opening a shop but never actually put real thought into it. Regardless, I love detailing and enjoy marketing and learning etc. I`m 19 go to the University of Maryland, College Park.

My neighbor is a businessman and has given me ideas and guidance for everything I`ve done from my cell phone business to my detailing business that I started last summer. So this evening I give him a call to chat as I often do. . . and he`s asking me about my involvments in business (I`ve been an entrepreneur,etc)... I tell him about 2 things

1) www.younginvestors.net (open forum for young people to discuss experiences in investing, business, entrepreneurship tell him thats not going to make me money but more wise

2) DETAILING. I`ve detailed his car a couple of times not yet his Ferrari (in due time). So I was telling him eventually I`d like to open a garage and do some detailing hopefully with a gas station. Then he`s asking me about marketing, advertising, telling me about Details, Details, Details a local detailing shop in business since 1978 and Mr. Wash. Basically, he`s interested in opening a shop with me... and we are going to check out real estate/rental space.

I was thinking about doing a gas station detail shop to bring in more business, does anyone have any experience with this setup and think it could work in Rockville, Bethesda, Maryland or Washington D.C.?

Sorry for the long thread.

So I`m thinking any combination of detailing and gas station and or car wash. Or just Detailing...

Post Thanks / Like
    There`s a deetail shop here in Mt Airy Md which has teh shop (1 bay) and 5 pressure bays and a tunnel wash. They always have all 7 spots full.

Only problem I see with them is they leave a signiture hologram in the paint with the rotary. Cool with me though, more business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by samiam513

Only problem I see with them is they leave a signature hologram in the paint with the rotary. Cool with me though, more business.

I know we have ambulance chasers but I didn`t know we had idiot detailer chasers.

I can see you now, waiting on the curb as they leave the detail bay "hey there buddy, you know what they just did to your car, they burned your paint, I can fix that for you, follow me" hahaha

Guaranteed work huh?

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What does this partner expect from the partnership? If it is mainly about the money, you should open a carwash with express detailing service. I am not sure if this is true, but I keep hearing that gas stations do not make the big dollars that they used to so you are best served to have something to sell besides gas. As far as a carwash goes, location and speed is going to be more important than the quality. I have never owned a detail shop, but I have worked in one and you might have to rely on used car dealers for most of your business when you start out which means you will be detailing the most neglected cars instead of having a steady stream of luxury cars at your door.

I think you should set up some rules and boundaries with your partner to get a clear picture of where he stands if you are going into this venture with him.
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are young.

You have time...

...to listen.

Absorb what he says. Listen.

Define your goals.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    THESANTINI

Funny you ask. My wife and I are both almost done with our MBA`s and we`re taking a Business Plan class. Guess what business we are designing? We have 10 weeks to do all our research, write the plan, and then present to a panel of investors.

I`ll tell you it`s a lot of research to find the right market for anykind of business. We are writing a complete Marketing Plan, Operations Plan, Financial Plan, Strategic Plan, and then a 5 year Plan.

We`re in the middle of the Makerting Plan and making an attempt to determine our Target Customer/Market.

There is a ton of information on the internet about Business Plans. Also you have to consider a lot of demographics of the area. There are government sites that have great information about your area.

I hope that helps you a little. :wavey

TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    I can tell you that as an owner of detail shops for 26 years it is a very rewarding career. I have wonderful customers, worked on some of the nicest cars ever made and enjoyed doing what so few can do correctly.

I will mention this. I am moving on to a new focus which is in equipment manufacturering and leaving the detailing business. If any of you are interested in living and working in a Denver, CO let me know as my place is up for grabs. Just PM me and I will tell you about it.

You have to love this business to make it work. It takes more than being habdy with a buffer. It takes real business skills and a plan on how to grow as new opportunities present themselves.

Tom
    OLDER & WISER.

Post Thanks / Like
    Purely my opinion as I have no real expertise. But, wouldn`t a gas station only bring in business if you had a car wash, not a detail shop? I mean, it takes hours to detail a car. Saving five minutes by being able to fill up there won`t do much for anyone. If anything, it might be a turn off to people that care about their cars.

Also, have you thought about Northern Virginia? It seems like Maryland has more detail businesses set up already. Somewhere like Great Falls is just as full of Ferrari`s and rich folk as Potomac. As far as I can tell there aren`t any real detailing places here. But I haven`t really looked hard as I don`t need one. Just a though...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea whats going to happen, but this is going to be a long learning process. Looking forward to it. Please continue to post relevant information.

If the gas station/detailing shop was the deal... I would think that people will want hand car washes in an affluent area. Then sell them on detailing, along with advertising and marketing. The detailing could be done while they are in work- pick it up from their work drop it off at noon (for lunch) or take the keys after lunch- drop it off after work. It may be inefficient but you can charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am an marketing exec with an MBA and am always thinking of how to incorporate my love for cars into a money making opportunity. I will share my idea with you guys. Location is key, what about setting up shop on the same street as some high-end auto dealers. Autodetail is one of those things that the average car lover believes they can easily do themselves, this is something you are fighting. My idea is to combine a detail shop and a retail detail products store. I find it extremely hard to find quality products as do others. Educating users on these products is key, I would hold seminars on proper use, to boost sales while showing off the skills of your detailing staff. Have an area complete with water, vac, etc, where customers can rent by the hour and do their own detail. As well as offering details in our facilities I would also have a mobile unit, and even set up some mobile tents on the weekends at high traffic areas like malls. Just my thoughts that I have for now.

Thread Information