Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) Just wondering what hours the Pro Detailers here work in a day?

2) Do you have a "quitting time"? (the time you estimate your last job of the evening will be completed by)

3) What time do you book your first job of the day?
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My actual detailing hours are 9-5. I try to pick my first car up at 8:30am and have my last one drop off some where between 4:30 and 5:30. I tend to only do one car a day unless it`s dealer work in which I do more. I`ll only ever do two retail cars in a day so I can make sure they are properly cared for. Monday I do work till 6:00pm I start at the smalle dealer I do , I QD all the cars in the show room and wash all the ones that are on the lot. Then I take two cars back to my shop for full details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since i also work as an Insurance adjuster, it book by appt only during the week.

I have movie set lights i use when it gets to dark. It lights up the entire block, and lets you see every imperfection on the paint.

On saturdays I start at 7am and work up to around 9:30pm. Longs hours are mainly during the summer though. Winter time I stop around 4:30pm.

On sundays, i have contract wash i need to do and i start that around 7am and finish around 1pm. Then i take lunch and start the detailing around 2:30.

Long hard working days, but its all worth it. I enjoy detailing cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll work until the last detail is done. I like to be finished the job at 5pm though. I don`t like working in the dark but I do carry a small 250watt flood light incase that happens. If I know I`ll be working into the dark, then I`ll bring two 750watt flood lights.

I`ve done a couple jobs into the night. I did an explorer and was at the guys house until around 10pm.

I like to start around 9am in the morning... Just don`t like getting up early I have started jobs at 6:30am before for some people.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I normally start around 9 AM (like everyone else, it seems, I hate getting up early) and work until 5-6 PM on most days, but sometimes later if I have to. I try to be done by 7 PM in the summer so I have a couple hours to skate at the park before it gets dark.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to start as early as 5:30 am. We generally have one or two vehicles droped off the night before. When you start early like this you are not answering phones or talking to customers. You can get alot done before most detail shops even open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NY detailer

I have movie set lights i use when it gets to dark. It lights up the entire block, and lets you see every imperfection on the paint.

NYD

I bet you can see every imperfection.

OT: Where did you get movie set lights? Where they expensive?

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Auto Care USA

I like to start as early as 5:30 am. We generally have one or two vehicles droped off the night before. When you start early like this you are not answering phones or talking to customers. You can get alot done before most detail shops even open.

early bird gets the worm!! If I were working a shop I would probably stay late in lieu of having/wanting to start that early, I`m not a morning person by any standards... I`d rather be the one out until 1AM and sleeping until 8 or so to start work at 8:30-9:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by edschwab1

NYD

I bet you can see every imperfection.

OT: Where did you get movie set lights? Where they expensive?

Eric

What i call movie set lights are actually sears craftsman work lights but high powered. Each light give off 800 watts. Reall bright, i can light up the entire street and then some.

It is great for detailing at night as it is just like sunlight. There are some draw backs though. The light gets very hot so you can not put it away quickly, you need to let it cool off. Every single imperfection on dark colored cars will show. Even it you can not remove the imperfection and the customer has never seen it before, when you point that light at the car the customer will be like what the hell.

I think the light cost me around $100.00 and it came with a stand on wheels

NYD

Thread Information