Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m recently switched over to 3M products and love the results I`m getting. I would like to hear other members thoughts about them. In particular Perfect-It SMR , Finesse-It Machine Polish , Imperial Hand Glaze , Perfect-It II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound , Imperial Medium Cut Rubbing Compound , Super Duty Heavy Cut Rubbing Compound. I`ve used these now for awhile actually , however I don`t get the name difference , it that just a marketing thing.

Thanks All

Post Thanks / Like
    3M makes good stuff, body shops love their polishes and compounds. I find that Meguiars BSP line is comparable and I have a local distributer, so I go with Meguiars. The only body shop in town I recommend to my customers swears by 3M, so you`ve got real good company.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I think 3M has got the good stuff. The different names can tell you how old the product is or for types of use. For instance. you might want to check out the NEW perfect it 3 line. Designed for the newer, lower voc`s(harder clearcoats) cars of today. Well, I am glad you like 3M, can`t wait to get a grip on their products as well.

:up

Post Thanks / Like
    i started using 3m premium liquid wax about 1 year ago and get great results on dark cars. i also have perfect it in my inventory, but feel that it is very hard to work with. i prefer meguiars dual action cleaner/polish w/ a yellow foam. this produces excellent results. dual action also is easy to use by hand of course one section at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by detailbarn

I don`t get the name difference , it that just a marketing thing.

Thanks All

Which ones are you confused about? Knight is right on regarding the difference between the PI-II & PI-III line.

I know that Finesse-It II is designed more for OEM paints and not for post-bodywork compounding/finishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Their Detailer line, includes numbers, such as 108,208,308. I have talked to a guy at 3M corporate and he says those are the best polishes and compounds available by 3M for paint care and detailing. They are specifically made for detailing. They contain silicone, which are not meant for body shops because of the problems that can occur from silicone. ( freshly painted or vehicles waiting to be painted ) Body shops would use, the Perfect it 3 line, that I mentioned, because I have been told from 3M they contain no silicones and cut faster after sanding, etc... The finesse it I have not heard much about. The perfect it 2 line is used by pro detailers and is listed on their solutions section of their website, when serious paint problems need to be corrected. They are good for car care consumers I believe as well. I was considering buying them, until I heard about their the detailer line. The only thing is they come in LARGE quantities for obvious reasons. ( they are meant for pro-detailers ) Though, The price is only about twice as much as the product lines that are not for pros. 25 dollars for 4 Gallons of Polish! That is a great price considering what you get. I have talked to them quite a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Knight, if you order that from our website, you know you`ll get 4 gallons, and that 4 gallons will probably last a lifetime. *hint-hint wink nudge nudge*

Post Thanks / Like
    hahaha, just want the best man. I wonder if a distributor would sell them individually at their store near me? I might have luck there, or if not, then I am going to have to polish the stove, bathroom, sisters car, and everyone on the block. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I had talked to one of the people at the product availability number and she said that the 208 was available at some store, i don`t remember the name of the store. I believe it might have been Napa.

Post Thanks / Like
    I work as a salesman in a Dodge dealer and we have a huge body shop, The guys in the body shop are awsome. The painter also does all the polishig and is great at it (thats who Taught me), and he uses 3m stuff only. He uses the medium rub and the Pefect II fin cut and the cars look like glass after. He uses the medium and a wool bonnet to cut , the the fine cut to clean it up. It works great and you get it by the tub for cheap!!!!

Because he not a detailer he never waxes after to seal it in :nono ; but what can ya do........lol

Oh ya for fin cut he uses a foam waffel 3m pad as well.

.................Clint

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have a link to or can write up a list of the 3m product lines and how they rank i.e. the difference between the perfect-its? Is there really a difference in quality as is the case with meguiar`s detailing line?

Post Thanks / Like
    and a pm. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by subterfuge

Does anyone have a link to or can write up a list of the 3m product lines and how they rank i.e. the difference between the perfect-its? Is there really a difference in quality as is the case with meguiar`s detailing line?

I`ll check our company intranet at work tomorrow and see what we having floating around on there. I know theres a big adobe acrobat file of our Perfect-It III system, but not sure about the other stuff.

LOL Knight, you stalking me now. :p

Thread Information