Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey pro`s I`m looking at expanding my operations to include a mobile rig. I will be having a very reliable friend run the unit , I will be funding the whole setup and running it under my company and he will be doing the detailing out of it. What I`m looking for now is some good ideas for possible setups , the base for the rig will be a standard cab Toyota Tacoma either by itself or preferably with a trailer behind it. Thanks for you help in advance.

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the websites with portable detailing trailers for sale, then buy all the same equipment, tanks, and a good used utility trailer. Take all your equipment to a welding shop and have them build you some brackets to hold your equipment.
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been looking at them , and then I saw the cost about a half an hour later I pick myself of the floor. So I indeed will be building myself with the help of some friends. I also don`t like alot of those franchise setups they don`t seem to be very organized or efficent. An Autopian trailer should be the "Bently" of detailing trailers.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can build the same thing yourself for half the price or better!
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you switch the Tacoma to any sort of Van?

No experience here, but i would think you would be safer, and happier with more room. Take a look at what the truck-mounted carpet cleaners can do (for $70,000)... keep an open mind.

Good Luck!

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Chevy Astrovans are a dime a dozen right now if you just want a cheap and secure alternative to hacking up your buddies Taco and you want some kind of security over an open trailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go ebay, there are mobile car wash systems that run off your cigarette lighter socket or 12v battery. You may be able

to find a system cheaper if you lookup sprayers for lawn-care.

I started out working out of a Toyota Tercel with a similar system, including 2 - 26 gallon water tank and sometimes I carry a 10x 15 canopy in the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    why buy a huge water tank?why not just use QEW it seems to get good reviews on this boardand you would only need to bring 5-10 gallons a day with you, you can buy 5 gallon water containers in the camping aisle at wally world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Detailbarn,

You must of read my mind. I`m going to look at some cargo trailers this weekend. I think a 5 x 8 trailer should be big enough for me. I`m trying to figure out how and where I`m going to mount everything, what type of racks or shelving to use to store all my products. I`m considering a 90 gallon water tank, a 5,000 watt generator.

Check your PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m also going to be looking into getting a trailer sometime in the future. I want to mout two tanks though. I want to be able to reclaim water.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have to say that a water tank would be a waste of money. I have started to use QEW when the customer does not have a hose. It works great and no water tank to carry around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NY detailer

I would have to say that a water tank would be a waste of money. I have started to use QEW when the customer does not have a hose. It works great and no water tank to carry around.

What happens when you pull up to an office building and there is no hose. Ok, you pull out the QEW but the vehicle you have to wash went muddin` the weekend before?

What if they want the engine detailed?

I saw a trailer a little while ago I like. It had two 230 gallon water tanks. Mmmm I`d love that have that!
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Intel486

What happens when you pull up to an office building and there is no hose. Ok, you pull out the QEW but the vehicle you have to wash went muddin` the weekend before?

What if they want the engine detailed?

I saw a trailer a little while ago I like. It had two 230 gallon water tanks. Mmmm I`d love that have that!

Well then you need to run to the store and pick up a few more gallons of polland springs water

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used QEW and I think it is OK in certain situations. I believe you really need running water for properly cleaning the wheel wells, rims, and even when you are dealing with vehicles that are very dirty. I also do a fallout wash on some vehicles, I could never do this without access to water. I want to be fully mobile and be able to take on any job at any location. If I detail two cars I`ve more than payed for the water tank.

Just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to agree with NJDetailer , you can`t beat having running water you never know what you may need it for. A water supply and a 2500 psi power washer are key tools in our area with all the salt and debris. I washed my truck yesterday this morning the lower rockers had more dirt , road film and grass then before I washed it , peronally I`d rather use the powerwasher and blow it off then hand wash it , atleast I know a good amount of the filth is off that way.

NJDetailer , do you have any ideas where to get water tanks at?

CT Farm & Country use to sell them but I think they are out of business.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information