Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This could be fun. I`m about to sign a lease for a 1000 square foot space to detail cars here in Indianapolis. It is new, storefront type space with an overhead door towards the rear.

There are many decisions ahead for me in the next 6 weeks (I intend to open Jan 1! Brrr!)

I know Autopians can help ( I love this forum!)

You can help by giving your best suggestions on a variety of tools and supplies.

Just for starters, I`ll need info on the following:

Signage

Brochures, BizCards, etc

LAYOUT!

Scissor Lift

Tool Box,w /casters

Table/Cart w/ casters

Air compressor/ Tools/Accessories

Hoses/Reels

Lighting

Carpet cleaning

And, of course, inventory!!!

I intend to begin with David`s guidelines, and I`ll listen to the Board for other thoughts (ala Zaino, etc)

I`ve recently acquired an air compressor (no tools yet!) and I`ll certainly get a PC to augment my current 9" Black & Decker random orbital polisher (old school, but it`s very effective)

Wanna Help? Your thoughts are appreciated. I`lll post at least 5 days per week, if not more, so that you can follow the progress!

Pictures of the space will follow next week/ Thursday? It is 40`x25` with a standard storefront/mostly glass look.Iit faces north, is 40` deep, and has the overhead door on the west(towards the back) side.

I really look forward to your thoughts on ANY aspect of this design. I think I have a clear vision of the design, but, boy am I open to the help of fellow Autopians!

Guaranteed photos (new 3.2 camera) of the progress!

Let`s have fun!
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Man where to start..

First off because I am a Mod before a member you cant have your name of your shop or Biz in your sig, Just the rules man.

Now on to the shop design>>>>>>>

What was this building used for before?

Does it have water acess will it have enuf pressure to run 2 hoses, how about a hot water heater? Floor drains?

How many hoses are you plaining on having?

How many cars in the shop at a time?

Do you plaing on having a wash area and a finish area, or both in the same spot?

How may workers?

Have heat and/or AC?

Have a washer/Dryer hook ups?

How is the Electric, Do you have enuf amps for Lots of lights and to have a few vacs and a few PC`s running all at the same time?

Security system?

This is just a few, I will add more later
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to look into getting a rotary or two in the near future.
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Post Thanks / Like
    Yummm a detail shop... I see one of those in my future. I`m gonna stay mobile for awhile though.

You`ve got a lot to do in the next 6 weeks.

How much previous detail experience do you have?

Also, I think Zaino is too much for a Pro detailer. Not cost effective. Look into Pro`s Profection.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Redcar, thanks for the heads up about my sig - understandable, and I think I`ve removed it.

This is NEW space, so we have some flexibility in the design (not much $budget$ flexibility, tho!) Landlord has suggested a trench type drain with grate, about 15-18` long, on the left side of the entry. this will `separate` the Wash/Detail areas. I`m thinking an epoxy-based floor covering... too slippery? Any experience with Brands?

L/L (Landlord) has offered a FREE 160 gallon electric Hot Water Heater, but I think it is TOO big, in terms of need and operating cost - that`s alot of water to keep hot...

I`m planning three hoses, with one dedicated to an electric pressure washer. Also, a mop sink and a restaurant type sink/table ...

There will be room for three cars at one tim, ideally two being detailed, with a wash bay open/available

I`ll work the shop myself for the first 4-7 months (free rent!) and concentrate on technique and marketing

Heat and A/C are included. I need to plan the electrical service in some detail... just my air compressor can pop a 15 amp fuse at home...

I will have a monitored security system... I want to be able to comfortbly leave an exotic overnight. Which brings up the whole insurance issue, which I`ll address next week.

Gotta go...
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    good luck. WHere are you going to be located? I live on the NE side and had my car detailed by a "professional" about 5 or 6 years ago, just to see what a "pro" could do. Of course, other than the spot on the ridge of the hood, where he burned through the paint with his hi speed orbital, it didn`t look any better than what I could do.

Hope it works out for you.

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m thinking an epoxy-based floor covering... too slippery? Any experience with Brands?
    If you are on a budget I would hold off on this as it is not cheap. (unless landlord is throwing it in with the deal) A quick sweep and pressure wash ay the end of the day should keep the floors reasonably clean.
    L/L (Landlord) has offered a FREE 160 gallon electric Hot Water Heater, but I think it is TOO big, in terms of need and operating cost - that`s alot of water to keep hot...
    The operating cost of a large water heater is not that much different than a small heater unless you are using insane amounts of hot water.
    Heat and A/C are included. I need to plan the electrical service in some detail... just my air compressor can pop a 15 amp fuse at home...
    Commercial properties (garages) usually are required to have higher ratings than your typical home setup.

The funny thing is, as I read this post for the first time, I just walked in the door from looking at a commercial unit myself. This place was used as a "10 minute oil and lube" with room for 4 cars and two 5` deep trenches in the floor.
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Post Thanks / Like
    Location is on Michigan Road, just north of 465, on the way to upscale Zionsville `horse country` . Some major road construction now (read `rent abatement`!) but major development is on the way...

Nagchampa:

Location sounds like a winner! It`s probably a substantial design, with or without the trenches... Keep us informed - clearly, you`ll be looking at many of the same issues as me!

Gotta WORK the weekend (only 1 week left!), then a 14 hour roadtrip to see our NEW grand daughter!

More on Wednesday/Thursday
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow you have a lot to think about!

during my 25+ years detailing I have had the urge to open a detailing shop of my own, but stats and reason always said don`t do it..even had a couple guys wanting to get together and open a huge recon shop...reason won again! getting free rent for a number of months is a good start.

1) do you already have a client base to keep you busy and refer other people?

2) do you have enough experience to handle difficult problems as they arise?

3) don`t worry about the fancy machines to start with , they can always be added later...especially if you do wealthy peoples cars they are usually garage and better maintained between detailings

4) working alone is not always the greatest in a shop, mobile yes but remember someone has to answer the phone as in any biz

and you might be:bounce between job and phone a lot.

5) as far as your plan for the three spots...you have to keep at least one clean and separated from your work space for finished vehicles awaiting their owners return, otherwise you`ll be doing extra and repeat work on the same vehicle, so count on two work spaces....

6) also plan some of your space for a desk or counter and a place for your customers to wait before and after detailing....some may actually want to sit and watch you...can`t really stop them.

7) as far as products..you will probably have every local distrib. calling on you before you know it...no need to ship products at this point ...maybe a couple of specialty items

8) as stated before don`t worry about huge water heater , well beware!!! your water and gas/electric bill will reflect it`s large size

and I doubt you will use more than 50 gallons before needing to use the hot water again. 50 gallon water heater is more than sufficient for you.

9) make sure your power outlet are numerous enough and in convienent places so your not dragging cords all over, most commercial building will be able to handle any amout of ac/dc you are going to use...

10) good luck...all new and small biz need it :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    jimamary

Check your Private Messages!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is so much I can say, but way to much to type.

You can give me a call on my cell 917-330-8095 and i can give tell you everything.

NYD

Post Thanks / Like
    Signing the Lease is proving to be a bit more time consuming than I, or my attorney, expected... in the meantime,

Here`s some photos of the location.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jimama...Shots_-JB.html

I really appreciate everyone`s contributions so far....

More to come.

Jim
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm.... Your pics aren`t working on that page.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    For cards and such I would use Vista Print

I have used them for about the last year and have had great results!

I even took their address labels and use them as an advertising sticker and ordered them with my website and email address only in large font. I usually slap one on every product that goes out.

Griots does a neat thing with each order. They give you a static cling label with "Next Oil Change, Last Clay & Wax, & Next service due." Something like that might help remind your customers for that repeat business without a mailer.
    David

2008 MINI Clubman S

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have experience using packages such as Quark, Illustrator, and/or Photoshop, you might want to design the signage, stationery, etc. on your own. I already designed and laid out the stationery for my business and my gf`s business.

Another thing you might need to consider is a POS (Point of Sale system). Check these guys out for decent POS systems: http://www.systemidwarehouse.com/index3.asp

They also sell the time clocks you might need for employees and even some video surveillance tools.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information