Post Thanks / Like
    I got about 5 emails from different members on how to start a business. I though it would be easier to reply to them on the forum so i could help them and anyone else who needed it.

It is really hard to start a business today. More then 50% of the business that start today fail within the first 5 years. You need to take your time and plan a head.

This is what I suggest to help your business grow:

Below is not in any number order, just what came to my headfirst

1. Flyers don’t matter if they are home made or professionally done, You need to get your name out there and that is the cheapest way for you at this time. You can make a great flyer from your computer, then go to staples and make 50 copies and hand them out. I like to make 100 flyers at a time and give them to the local paperboys. They all right their name on the back of the flyer, when people call me for an appt and tell me the paper boy gave them the flyer I give the paper boy $10.00. By doing this it makes the paperboys hand out the flyers instead of just throwing them out. If they throw them out they don’t make any money.

2. Business cards should be an image of you and your company. Nothing home made or cheap looking. Spend a little extra and go for the color ink and nice logo. It will make people remember you and you will stand out.

3. Signs and nothing too small. I have what is called an “A†frame sign. This is a sign that people can read from both directions of traffic. When I am doing a mobile detail I place the sign at the corner or in the street right at the driveway. People in the area will see you detailing the neighbor’s car and they will start to ask questions and get a price. They may even bring you the car today. This is where your professional looking business card will come in, just hand it to them and right the price down on the back, this way if you forget how much you told them, they can just show you the card.

4. Mailing list, this works great. Send out thank you cards and special offers to your customers, you want them to keep coming back. Sometimes you are better off keeping your customers then looking for new ones. Send people 10% a full detail, a free hand wash, etc†people like something for nothing. I have a flyer in a pizza shop that offers a free large pie when they get a complete detail. This works great for me. The person tells me they saw my ad at the pizza shop and they want the detail. I do the job ask what time they want the pie delivered, go to the shop pay for the pie and have it delivered to the customers home. Works great every time and that customer will tell another customer and so on. I have another flyer in a hair salon, that says "now that you look good how about your car, a good looking person needs a good looking car"

5. Go out of your way for the customer, I have a few people now that work for me. I introduce the customer to my employee and tell the customer he will be cleaning the inside of the vehicle, if there is anything that needs special attention please tell him so we can be sure to detail it for you. Customers like it when you show them you care and you are not just there to take your money.

6. I have small spray bottles that hold 8ozs, I fill them with quick detailer or all-purpose cleaner and give it to the customer when I am done with the detailing of the car. I show them what it is for and they love it. Once again a free thing will keep the customer coming back, customers love free stuff.

7. Be friendly but profressional, keep a clean image and it doesn`t pay to flurt a little with the members of the opposite sex. I am not saying cheat on your wife, but flirting with the customer may make them feel more comfortable with you.

(if my wife is reading this post, i never flirt with any customers i just tell the people on autopia to do that!)

Hope this helps, i am sure some other pro`s that are on the forum will post some good ideas to.

Brian

NYD

Post Thanks / Like
    This is GREAT... keep em coming for us new guys...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much! This is really an inforcement of old ideas, but still very good for us starting out, as it comes from someone with experience.

I`m doing flyers right now and just went handing some out tonight, will get some more and take them grocery shopping Thursday...

New business cards are on the way too, should be here sometime soon.

I think the sign is also a great idea, I might have to try it!

Once again, thanks!

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Brian - you forgot another tip

8. Never let your wife/signifigant other watch you detail, and ESPECIALLY don`t let them "clean the tip" of your squirt bottle of SMR. :p :xyxthumbs

other than that, great tips!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Were you in marketing in your past life. Just kidding. Great ideas. I look for anything I can get to drum up business. Never thought of the pizza place. That is most definitely my next stop for flyers. Thanks a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Beach15

Thanks so much! This is really an inforcement of old ideas, but still very good for us starting out, as it comes from someone with experience.

I`m doing flyers right now and just went handing some out tonight, will get some more and take them grocery shopping Thursday...

New business cards are on the way too, should be here sometime soon.

I think the sign is also a great idea, I might have to try it!

Once again, thanks!

Did you go through VistaPrint?

Did you get my PM

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeap, I went through VistaPrint after experimenting with a few designs on Friday. Still only went for the "free" ones plus shipping, but picked out just the right one with the right content. Wonder how long it takes to get them from time of order (using Standard shipping, $8.95)?

I hope to get some, really nice professional cards soon as I too see the importance.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, didn`t get your PM. Just email me at dkrucelyak@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know how you could get much more professional than vistaprint? I plan on laminating mine when I get them....

Beach15: Did you get my PM?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hit me up on AIM at KCPreki11

Post Thanks / Like
    Most excellent !

Thread Information