Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

🙈🙉🙊 Stagefright 🙈🙉🙊

I`ve been at this for a long time. Lots of things have changed but one thing that hasn`t is the anxiety that goes into each detail before I get started. It`s like every day is my first day. I question if I`m even capable of doing some of the jobs that I take on, but yet, continually there I am doing it (and succeeding day after day after day after day...)
    Once I get going I fall into rhythm and everything runs smoothly. My mind is usually so far away from the actual work that I`m doing. I don`t understand why I continue to question my ability.

This got me to wondering if any one else feels this way about their job or is it just me that suffers from this affliction?
    Your occupation doesn`t necessarily have to be car detailing.

Thanks for playing along

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 🙈🙉🙊 Stagefright 🙈🙉🙊

Bad Penny- I`ll play! I love topics like this, they interest me far more than Detailing

No performance anxiety here; I`m the other way, to a pretty extreme level. But I put a *LOT* into, uhm...programming myself for success at the things I do. It was a conscious effort over many years, something I really *WORKED* at.

Here`re some Qs that come to mind:

-Do you think your apprehension is grounded in reality? Like, do you feel that way because something really does have a likely potential to be a huge "oops!"? It sounds like that`s not a real problem since things go OK once you`re rolling with it and it seems you`re happy with your results.

If you don`t really have a reason to doubt yourself, you need to convince yourself to just not go there mentally; irrational thoughts really don`t have any place in our experience IMO. Easy to say, not so easy to do I know! And not something to sort out in just a few dozen hours either, it can be a lifelong endeavor, but that doesn`t mean it`s not worth it. Every bit of effort can lead to a little bit of progress and you just keep building on those successes. Forever.

-Why do *you* think you feel the anxiety *repeatedly*? Once you do something, do you spend some time programming yourself to believe it (really *BELIEVE* it, not just "say it to yourself" superficially)? Like...sit back and take in your accomplishment- "man, I sure did a great job again, but [flip], I always do because I`m the [stuff]!" Again, a real *conscious effort* to imprint those thoughts, make `em part of who you are and how you view Life.

-Do you have a clear-cut understanding of your actual limitations? There are probably things that anybody doesn`t do perfectly every time, and knowing/accepting such limits can be liberating if only because the stuff on the other side of the fence ("stuff I`m confident I can do because it always goes OK") is in a different mental category...the "I don`t have to worry about this, just have to keep doing what I do" category. That`s the category to build up, so it can outweigh the "uh-oh, I dunno about this..." stuff.

-Do you think that letting your mind stray from what you`re doing is a good idea? I find it best to focus on what I`m doing ("Do what you`re doing" as the saying goes), and I mean literally 100%. I don`t even turn on the shop stereo any more. It`s like when I doing (genuinely) serious driving- I turn off the radio and the passenger(s) know to stay quiet no matter what`s happening. When I find my mind wandering, I *STOP* and reset myself.

I find that focusing on the task at hand helps me build/maintain confidence. Full immersion in the experience helps it really register on me, building up the "OK, I got this.." attitude that I can pull up in my mind the next time. "If I did it before, so I can do it again" and that "yeah, I`m *doing* it!" leads to..."OK, I *did* it, and I`ll do it at least as well next time too!" type of mindset really takes hold better the more I focus on what I`m doing.

It sounds to me like you`re doing OK at this Detailing stuff, you just need to get your head right. I figure you`re doing the *work itself* right, just not using those successes to help yourself see things clearly.

Heh heh...yeah, armchair phsycologizing But that kind of stuff has sure worked for me. And yeah, I get a lot of it from self-help books, which kinda amuses my IRL friends; they don`t seem to connect how the guy who "reads that [crap] that everybody knows..or knows is BS" is also the happy guy who`s not having the issues that they are
    Likes Stokdgs, bad penny, Fishing liked this post
    Thanks DetailZeus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

🙈🙉🙊 Stagefright 🙈🙉🙊🙈🙉🙊 Stagefright 🙈🙉🙊🙈🙉🙊 Stagefright 🙈🙉🙊 Stagefright 🙈🙉🙊 Stagefright 🙈🙉🙊🙈🙉🙊 Stagefright 🙈🙉🙊🙈🙉🙊 Stagefright 🙈🙉🙊

Accumulator, that was an outstanding post!

I’d like to add that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can come in quite useful in a situation like this.

Spending some time on Google and YouTube alone might even be enough to at least get started on improving the situation. Albert Ellis was a founder of this type of therapy. I’ve watched some of his sessions on YouTube.

CBT is straightforward enough to follow but it does require stick-to-it-ness. It’s a retraining your brain process and it is effective once mastered

Check it out and tell us what you think.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Stokdgs, bad penny, Fishing liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I never allow my mind to wander during a Detail.. I am very interested in the progress and the quality of my work the entire time.. I actually love this work, and this is from 10 years old..

Have absolutely no fear of anything out there, I look forward to the challenge of getting it perfect..

Having had careers where I was responsible for all the data and voice needs of tens of thousands of people 24/7, there was absolutely no room for doubt.. I had to have it right and I was on call 24/7 for decades..

What worked for me was always thinking about this responsibility (because it was running 24/7) but not to the point that it "ran" my mind and my life..
    Dan F
    Likes bad penny, Fishing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

wow good stuff here. What kind of books do you guys like to read about this stuff ? Thank you for any help.
    Likes bad penny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Psychology texts on CBT are very helpful to understanding it. I’m sure there are plenty of self help books out there that help as well. For example, I just looked up the Anxiety and Worry Workbook. Aaron Beck is a respected psychiatrist in the field.

Post Thanks / Like

I do alot of analysis, external and internal before starting a task. Assess what my strengths would be and identify my weaknesses.

I don’t get anxiety but can get uber frustrated when things aren’t done right. I have the ability to calm myself down and talk myself through things. Its weird almost zen like. I had a brekdown at 23 going through a break up and once fixed myself I see things/life in a differnent way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings=Crack- Sometimes those horrible experiences end up being worth the pain...As Heminway said: "Life breaks everyone, and those it can`t break it kills. But sometimes those who are broken are stronger in the broken places." [or at least that`s close..]

The way you catch yourself stressing and dial it back is great! As is the assessment, even though it can be a bit disconcerting at times when you realize what those weaknesses are. Hey, can`t fix it until you know it`s broken.

You mentioned Frustration. It can be very useful, really motivating! But that`s one tool that needs to be used *VERY* judiciously! It`s like wetsanding, something that you don`t want too much of, just enough to get going in the right direction. And if you let it get out of hand, it can distract you from what you really oughta be doing to deal with the problem. IMO it oughta be like a "oh, [snap], this is a [freakin`] PIA!!" moment that is really over and done with in a moment. Don`t *EVER* dwell on frustration, that`s invariably counterproductive. Doing something *PROductive* can generally snap you out of it, even if you`re just doing some little babystep in the right direction or switching to something else for a while until you settle down.

And I really like how you do that before-action assessment rather than just jumping in. I can tell you`re doing that part of it right as it empowers you rather than adding trepidation. (Heh heh, Detailing-specific, it brings to mind how my first suggestion to most any paint issue is "inspect it under magnification", so you can do that proper assessment and make the right plans.)

Bill D- I agree totally about Psych texts and about CBT! This is one of those real cases of "more knowledge is good" even though some of that knowledge might make you squirm a bit, at least at first.

Even when "everything is fine" the practices of CBT are really useful tools to have in the toolbox; sometimes I believe we use those without even being conscious of them, it just becomes "how we deal with Life". Heh heh, guess that`s another variety of Unconscious Competence But you gotta use `em *consciously* first, and yes indeed that does take a bit of work...like most valuable skills.

Fishing- My Cliff`s Notes for this stuff is to start with researching "Happiness". I put it in scare-quotes because IMO a lot of people don`t *really* understand it, funny as that might seem. There`s a *[crap]-ton* of great info on Happiness these days, plenty online. IMO it`s one of the great Intellectual Cafeterias, something for everyone, take what`s right for you at that moment and come back for more/something different as often as you like/need.

If..well, *WHEN*, some of it seems silly, I strongly encourage you to *NOT* just blow it off the way so many (UNhappy) people I know do. Look for those Golden Nuggets in the pile of dirt Example (and a specific recommendation) : Being Happy! by Andrew Matthews. It`s a "graphic" book (AKA...lots of "cartoons"! fer cryin` out loud!) that many would dismiss. But it has some great stuff in it and it`s one very quick, easy read, and worthwhile for *anybody*, even someone with a PhD in Psych (who probably would *not* just dismiss it )

Stokdgs- That ability to use Responsibility as fuel, but not let it, uhm... do the driving...is a great skill!
    Likes Stokdgs, bad penny liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The cartoons in that book sound like something one may encounter on a work sheet handed out in therapy. I had a ton of those in the program I interned in. I think I still have some buried in a binder somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Yeah, I`ve heard that from others who`ve had (good) therapists. Heh heh, IMO that`s a clue But it can be hard to get some people over the "apparent childishness" of that approach...those easily deployed Defense Mechanisms for resisting change and all that....

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many tools and techniques, much of the therapist’s time is spent on finding which kinds best suit the client.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    There are so many tools and techniques, much of the therapist’s time is spent on finding which kinds best suit the client.
    True...for *GOOD* therapists I can`t help but make the distinction. There are some, uhm.."unisize approach" [individuals] out there too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for starting this topic bad penny. It has generated some very interesting and thoughtful replies. Not to get too far off topic, but I have an 18 year old son who is a fantastic guitar player (that`s not just mom bias, he really is good ) but he struggles sometimes with self-doubt like you describe and it`s holding him back. Once he gets going, he gets that burst of confidence and it`s all good from there, but sometimes getting over that initial "bump" of negative thoughts is tough. He`s at that age where anything mom and dad say is pretty much automatically the stupidest thing ever uttered in human history (it`s ok, I know we`ll get smarter in a few years ) but you all have given me some good ideas for things to suggest to him, so thanks!
    Likes bad penny, Stokdgs, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Liz@Autopia View Post
    Thanks for starting this topic bad penny...
    Yes, *yes*, *YES*! This kind of discussion is what I`m always hoping will come up (along with topics on the Health & Fitness thread).

Not to get too far off topic, but I have an 18 year old son..
    Noting that I sure hope Bad Penny agrees with me, and it appears he does.. IMO that`s not off-topic at all, but rather right in-line with what we`re discussing.

.. sometimes getting over that initial "bump" of negative thoughts is tough..
    Yeah, being able to short-circuit where that can go will be a great skill once he gets the hang of it. Having both that ability *and* the doubts about it oughta actually be a good combo as he can rise above those doubts by doing what he *can* do once he gets rolling. Like..he has the solution right at his fingertips (heh heh, literally in this case ).

Gee, 18 sounds like...well, if he starts getting a handle on tings *now* he`s gonna be set for a really good life. A lot of people don`t face some (actually surmountable, if still) difficult challenge until later, and by then they might not realize they *can* overcome it, might not have the skills to do so. And yeah, it *IS* a skillset. Great to fill that toolbox at a young age.

He`s at that age where anything mom and dad say is pretty much automatically the stupidest thing ever uttered in human history (it`s ok, I know we`ll get smarter in a few years )
    Heh heh, good on you for remember that from when *you* were Young and Immortal I`m guessing that you won`t make some of the too-common mistakes since you know how that all goes.

..you all have given me some good ideas for things to suggest to him, so thanks!
    Seriously, Liz, *I* am the one who`s thankful..to Bad Penny for giving some of us the opportunity to share what tends to be some rather hard-earned knowledge *and* to learn even more from what others share. "Live to tell" is a lot more useful, and rewarding, when you actually *get the chance* to tell, preferably to somebody who`s (really) listening. And this is one topic where IMO you never learn everything that there is to know.
    Likes Liz@Autopia, bad penny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Gee, 18 sounds like...well, if he starts getting a handle on tings *now* he`s gonna be set for a really good life. A lot of people don`t face some (actually surmountable, if still) difficult challenge until later, and by then they might not realize they *can* overcome it, might not have the skills to do so. And yeah, it *IS* a skillset. Great to fill that toolbox at a young age.
    Thanks Accumulator! One mistake I see him make, and it might be applicable to detailing as well, is to think that just because *some* parts of a job come super easy to you naturally, *all* parts of it should, and then when you bump up against something a little more difficult or that takes a little extra time/effort or requires you to learn a new skill or way of doing things, it can feel like failure just because you don`t see instant perfect results.

A lot of the music stuff has always come as easily to my son as swimming is to a fish. Some people`s brains just "speak" music, and he`s one of them. As he`s advanced though, he naturally takes on more challenging stuff and when it doesn`t come as easily as the "easy" stuff (easy to him being something that would still take me years to learn ), he takes it really hard and beats himself up about it.

Like it took him two months to learn and perfect a really awesome solo acoustic version of Stairway To Heaven and he was really down on himself that it took that long. I told him that`s a super complicated song and there are people who have been trying to learn it for 20 years that still couldn`t do it as well as he does, but in his mind it should have come as easily as learning some basic three chord Jimmy Buffett song and when it didn`t, it rattled him. Once he worked up the courage to play it in public at a local open mic night and the crowd was blown away, he finally realized that it really was awesome and nobody cared how long it took him to learn it.

I think sometimes we have to remind ourselves that even stuff we are really good at can be difficult or require a little something "extra" (skills, knowledge, grit and determination, or sometimes just plain old luck) to get through it, and that`s OK - it doesn`t mean we`re a failure or inadequate.
    Likes Stokdgs, bad penny liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information